1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bens Successor Draft Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, May 8, 2021.

1. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    malik willis is somewhere between lamar jackson and jalen hurts. IMO thats not a good place to be. for every oooh ahhhh play he makes he makes a play that makes you say...WTF ? why didn't he just throw it away , or who was he throwing that to ?

has anyone else noticed it is the athletic mobile QB's that take the most sacks ?

carson strong is an unathletic pocket passer. he has been sacked 37 times with 524 pass attempts

malik willis has been sacked 51 times and has 339 pass attempts

lamar jackson is the 3rd most sacked QB in the NFL with 100 less pass attempts than the top 2 most sacked. burrow and tannenhill.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have brought the whole running into sacks up about only 100,000 times.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    So…which of the Super Bowl winning quarterbacks remind you of Lamar Jackson or Malik Willis. There are plenty who are mobile, but their mobility merely complements their passing ability. I don’t get the infatuation with run first quarterbacks who only have average to slightly above average arm talent. Oh you’ll get some spectacular highlights and maybe even put an impressive stretch of games together, but it’s not a formula for long term success or for Super Bowl wins. Give me a pocket passer who moves well in the pocket and is capable of running for a first down when the protection breaks down, but no thanks on the next Lamar Jackson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_starting_quarterbacks

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    sorry. i wasnt here. i just joined the board a few days ago ....:lolol:

give me links to the post and i will go give em likes ...:roflmao:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’d be a bit surprised if Willis even turned out to be better than Hurts.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    :clapping:Trent Dilfer !!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    i wouldnt be opposed to taking a flyer on him under different circumstances ,. if we didnt have more holes than swiss cheese i might spend a second on him.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Starting Malik Willis early is what is going to doom his career all together. For me, I would have him sit behind a veteran and learn the game as he waits for his chance. For that matter, Big Ben was much of the same heading into his Rookie Season with Tommy Maddox and Charlie Batch. Granted, both got hurt and the rest is history but, such occurrences are so rare in the NFL. For that matter, people expecting even Kenny Pickett to re-enact Justin Herbert's Rookie Season are in for a rude awakening for it is not going to happen.

All that said, realistically speaking, Kevin Colbert will likely be at the Senior Bowl as many of the top QB Prospects will be there as well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    After a while, you will see the irony in this :smiley1:

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You have been told a million times not to exaggerate

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ahhh. I got a great chuckle out of that. Thank You. :thumbs_up:

13. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I think that the Stillers may ride with Rudolph in 2022, draft an olineman or two, let the rest improve, cut the ones who don’t, and hope to get the QB in 2023 when supposedly a better crop will be available. Dback should be addressed in free agency. I cringe when people talk about the Stillers drafting one, they are terrible at it.

It was a long time wandering in the wilderness between Bradshaw and Big Ben. I hope we don’t have to wander that long again. Ask the Browns how hard it is to get “The Guy”. They still may not have.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Willis and Strong are two to look out for. After a deeper dive into Ridder... just so torn. Has the abilities but is too inconsistent for my liking. A decent starter but not one should bank on to carry the load if asked to do so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not really torn on Ridder. I feel like I have a decent handle on his value. A month or two back I labeled him as the 2022 Qb most likely to have a Tyrod Taylor type of career trajectory. I had watched film on him last year before he announced his return to school, and I was hopeful that he would return to school and develop further. Despite some improvement in his passing stats, I haven’t seen much improvement in actual game play when watching him. I agree fully that the physical tools are there, but the inconsistency should have been diminished as a 4 year starter. To me he largely looks a lot like the same guy that I saw in person back in 2018 vs. UCONN. What’s his value? Maybe 3rd round. He certainly could develop into a capable short-term starter, but I don’t see a high probability of him being the type of Qb that a team builds around for the long term. Kind of like Tyrod Taylor.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Let me throw out a controversial thought. If 2023 represents a better opportunity to draft our long-term franchise QB than the 2022 draft, we could attempt to trade out of the first round altogether this year and pick up an additional first next year. Obviously it takes two to tango, but if we’re serious about using the draft to bring in our next QB, the probability of getting that guy is vastly improved by having enough ammo to get up to a top 5 pick. The chance of having a 2022 season that “earns” us a top 5 pick in 2023 is near zero. We’re much more likely be around.500 again, and earn a pick in the teens (hopefully we’ll be better and earn a pick in the 20’s).

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    who do we have to trade that entice a team to trade us a number one pick?

18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Our 2022 1st round pick. Teams have traded future #1 picks to move up many times in the past, and it hasn’t always been done for a QB or to move into the top 10 (like the RG3 trade). For example in 2018 the Saints traded their 2019 1st plus a 2018 5th to move up 13 spots from #27 to #14 to pick Marcus Davenport. If we find a team that’s in love with a particular player, it could present an opportunity to pick up a 2023 1st rounder by trading down from our position in the 1st round in 2022 to a lower 1st or a high 2nd (more likely a high second given that we’ll probably end up with around the 16th - 19th overall pick).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    who are the all these emerging talents coming out in 2023 ? i see Bryce Yound, CJ Stroud and.....??? . perhaps spencer rattler might get himself back on track, and i'm sure a one year wonder or two might spring up , but i keep hearing people say wait for the 2023 class, so who are these guys people are banking on ?

so what do you think of bailey zappe ? is he another Coltin McCoy ? can he make all the NFL throws ? it is kind of hard to get a feel for him since his receivers seem to be always wide open.

20. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    Ridder is too inconsistent but willis isnt ? dude throws 4 tds one week and look like a superstar then throws 0TDs , 3 picks and take 9 sacks the next game . Ridders worst game this year (alabama) looked pretty good compared to some of willis's stinkers.
    the bottom line is none of these guys should be drafted higher than maybe the end of the 1st. if any of these guys were in last years draft they would have been the 6th qb taken. if kyle trask had the season he had last year this year, he would be in the first round conversation.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well The ones You named are head and shoulders ahead of what's coming out this Year.

22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, that’s the question, right? It’s why I said “if” 2023 represents a better opportunity. I have not focused much on the 2023 class yet, but Young and Stroud are far more impressive than anyone I’ve seen in the 2022 class. I’ve only watched Zappe once, plus some highlights. I’m intrigued at his accuracy and timing, but I’m not sure he’s a guy I would take as Plan A. He could be a mid-late round value pick though.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    bummer..i was hoping you might give me some names.
    i'll give you one to keep an eye on. Clayton tune. houston cougars.
    can't find a highlight tape on him this year, but here is one from 2 years ago.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  24. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Anyone but Baker Mayfield

25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think its going to be Rudolph. I don't see why it wouldn't be. The only guys I really like in round 1 at QB in the draft are Howell and Pickett. Corral and Ridder just don't do it for me. Strong seems like another Rudolph. Willis appears undraftable to me. Could one of them turn out to be a star at the next level? Sure. But I wouldn't bet the next few years of our franchise on it. I would imagine that the FA and draft period will be spent bolstering our OL, getting an ILB, maybe adding another corner, and possibly getting a DL (depending on the Tuitt situation). I could see a WR added as well if we don't re-sign Juju. Maybe we sign/trade for a lower end guy like Trubisky, Minshew, Mariota as a second chance at starting?

Either way, I highly doubt we look to the draft for our next QB this year. I don't think we like anyone enough to spend our pick on them.

• Like Like x 1