1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bens Successor Draft Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, May 8, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree with that last bit. I worry that he's a little too tough for his own good, but it did seem as if his only shot to make plays much of the time was to use his legs either to buy time or to take off down the field.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Other than Detroit and Carolinia who else do you see that needs a qb. I am betting Seattle moves ahead of Carolina to take Willis, hoping to get another Russell Wilson (Not)

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Trader? Like Trader Joe’s? Day Trader? What kind of trader is Elvis?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I used to be a commodity trader, so I guess he’s right.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yesterday morning I was listening to the PFF draft show on Sirius NFL radio, and Mike Renner from PFF opined that we would not see the 1st QB off the board until the teens, and that the 1st QB would be Willis to either the Saints or the Steelers. He said that teams like Detroit, Carolina, Atlanta and Seattle can reasonably project that they’ll likely be back in the Top 10 next year and wait for that class. He specifically mentioned Young, Stroud and Levis as guys who those teams will probably rate as better than anybody in this class. He said that despite the noise about a QB, Carolina will probably take a tackle and pass on Willis and Pickett.

Interesting take. I expect the Saints to make a move up to #5 or higher to take a QB ahead of the Panthers and Falcons. The Saints didn’t trade their 2023 1st rounder to the Eagles to sit at picks 16 + 18 and wait on a QB. They’re moving up again. I still believe that Willis goes Top 5, and if I had to pick a team I’d say the Saints with a trade up to somewhere in the 3-5 range that includes both picks 16 + 18 and other draft capital.

If The Saints don’t trade up, and Willis gets past Seattle at 10, I expect us to be in play. The Steelers have been prioritizing physical traits in their #1 draft picks in recent years, and Willis has every physical trait you want in a QB other than height.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This is a good explanation of what worries me about Willis.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t have faith in any sources when comes to who the Steelers will take.

It’s obvious you can tell who they are interested in from the draft process but as far as anything being leaked on who is the guy, I call bs. They guard that stuff like the nuclear codes.

If you want a safe floor, take Pickett. If you want a guy that will be compete with the other upper echelon QB’s in the league, swing for the fences and take Willis.

Edit: I misunderstood, thought you were saying he was hearing who they would take. Yes, it’s possible he did here they think Pickett has a higher chance of success which goes back to safe floor. Willis much more risk.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's the thing. I think Pickett has the better chance of competing with the big guys, too. All Willis has that truly stands out is the arm. Sure, it's a great arm, but he has shown zero ability to read progressions and his pocket presence sucks. Think back to Kordell Stewart. Much of that athleticism goes to waste if the guy doesn't have a great feel for the pocket. i really think that is Willis's upside, Kordell Stewart, but Stewart was a lot more polished when he got to the NFL.

This idea that Pickett gives them less of a chance of having a top quarterback is nonsense. He may actually be as good of a runner as Willis. Remember, weaker competition actually made Willis look like a better runner than he will be against the pros. (Again, check out the Simms video. He explains it well.) His arm isn't as strong as Willis's, but he's got an NFL arm. He has a tremendous feel for the pocket. He buys time and makes some fantastic throws on the run. He is more accurate than Willis. He has shown a much better ability to read through progressions. He has shown that he might be able to process at the speed needed in the NFL. Willis didn't even really get the chance to show that in college. He didn't even do it against weak competition.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Why do you keep telling me to check out the Simms video, I posted it, lol. He didn’t say Pickett is a better runner, he said he’s faster. Simms compares Willis ability to run like a RB, sets up blockers and knows where to go.

He also said nothing wows him about Pickett and that Willis has much more upside. Sure its projection but there is nothing that says he can’t do the things that Simms says he has to work on. Just because Libertys offense was limited doesn’t mean Willis can’t do it. It’s not Libertys job to prepare Willis for the pros, he scored 40 TD’s, why would they change anything.

IMO, Willis has far too much talent to fail at the next level where he will receive the coaching to elevate his game and take advantage of his abilities. He can make every NFL throw that a QB needs to be able to make with ease. His off script stuff is Mahomes like, Pickett can’t do that stuff like he can. Simms was criticizing him for having a floppy wrist which can cause him problems at the next level and also the issue with his thumb which requires him to wear that glove which causes the ball to stick and limits the off script stuff and ability to throw at multiple arm angels.

None of this is to say that I would be unhappy if they draft Pickett, he’s one of the guys I listed that I want but I put his ceiling more at Carrs level, which you can win with but I want more than that and if they take him I hope he can take his game higher than that but Simms pretty much feels what you see is what you get with Pickett, not a lot more growth to be had there.

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    F....Simms. He got one freaking Qb correct....now He's a guru. LoL. What about all the Qbs He's been wrong about.
    Judging a Qb by arm strength, and speed is like judging a boxer by how hard they hit the heavy bag, and how fast they work the double end.
    I can't sleep , and I'm bored...so I'm following everyone around. LoL.
    I picked up My guitar, but that just makes me less sleepy. Going 2 be a long day tomorrow.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I know you posted it, but you seemed to miss parts of it. Simms also pointed out that Pickett and Corral could have looked better as runners, too, if they had faced the lower-level competition Willis did. I'm not sure Willis is really going to be much more effective than Pickett as a runner, and when it comes to moving in the pocket, Pickett is the vastly superior player.

Assuming Willis can do any of those things is a huge reach. Simms also pointed out that Willis often failed to make even the simple reads the Liberty offense asked of him, holding the ball too long even when his primary receiver was open. At least initially, he is going to turn easy plays into sacks with his inability to make quick reads. That's a huge problem. If things were too fast for him at Liberty, how the hell is he going to process on the NFL level? This assumption that NFL coaching is going to fix him is dubious at best.

The thing about Pickett is that despite the limitations Simms talked about, he was outstanding in making off-script plays. He just has to do it with more fundamentals. No, he's not going to be Mahomes, but not every elite quarterback makes throws from weird angles. What he does is move well in and out of the pocket, getting his body in the proper position to throw even when things break down. You hope Willis can make special plays under pressure against quality competition. We know Pickett can do it.

Carr isn't a bad comp for Pickett, but I think Carr can be shaken more easily by pressure. Pickett seemed to have overcome that issue by his final season at Pitt.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I haven’t missed any of it, you’re misinterpreting it. At no point did Simms say Pickett is a better runner. I posted it in part to shoot down some of the silly things being said about Willis. I respect Simms evaluations more than anyone else’s, I was worried he would shred Willis or not have him top 5 at all. Instead he supports pretty much everything I have said.

He also moved Willis ahead of Pickett in a later video. Pickett is a nice player but he’s not as nearly as talented as Willis, just more polished at the moment. I think a lot of yinzers are caught up in the Pitt connection and thinking he will be the next Marino. Hell, even King said as much.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What he said was that Pickett and Corral could have done the same things as Willis as a runner against Liberty's schedule. He pointed out that it is tough to gauge just how good he really is as a runner because so much of the film shows him against weaker competition and he didn't look so dominant running the ball against better teams.

Your last comment is misleading and disrespectful to those who think Pickett is the better option. I don't care where Pickett went to school and I don't think he is comparable to Marino, with the possible exception both having small hands. Marino had a better arm, one of the best I've ever seen. Pickett is much more athletic. They are very different players.

Pickett is at least as fast as Willis. He is comparable in size. He may actually be as good of a runner. He is better throwing on the run. He has a better feel for the pocket. We at least know he can go through progressions and make good decisions under pressure, something we haven't seen from Willis. There are talents other than arm strength. You don't seem to get that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Any more disrespectful than you telling me Willis running ability clouds my judgment about him as a QB?

Plus King came out and admitted that.

As for the rest we’ll find out Scribe.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  18. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I don`t follow college much, but geez, that Steeler Depot comment about one read-then run, if true Willis would be garbage as QB in the NFL.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I have not kept up with the draft speculation Just how many teams have great need to pick a QB in the 1st round ahead of us? Sounds like just Seattle and Eagles are among the desperate.

Funny thing is I will be watching with rapt attention in the first round, hoping and praying we DO NOT take any QB, LOL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The Panthers have Darnold (and may resign Newton). That’s a big QB need. The Falcons are rolling with Mariota in 2022, so I see them as QB needy.

I was recently reminded of the fact that Panthers owner David Tepper is a big Pitt booster. I could definitely see an owner like him overruling the football guys and taking Pickett at #6. In fact I’m going to add it to the bold predictions thread.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Lot of college QB’s are one read and it’s not the QB’s fault necessarily, it’s the offense they play in. @Steel_Elvis could probably tell you how many college teams run a pro style offense.

22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    11 or 12 depending on how Slippery Rock State fills its vacant OC position.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's why most people expect Willis sit this season and learn.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  24. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Colbert or Tomlin made an interesting point, forget which one exactly said this. But one of them said, we like people that don't run away from competition. Could Willis transferring from Auburn to Liberty be contrived as running from competition, and could it also be applied to someone like Jurkovek who went to BC from ND? Transfer portal is definitely changing the CFB game as far as people transferring for PT. This may be a reach by me, but trying to grasp their mindset.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, dismissing it as Pitt fanboy stuff is worse than saying you are too enamored with one part of a guy's game to see the entire player clearly.

• Like Like x 1