1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben's Replacement

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers '08, Dec 2, 2016.

1. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    How soon we forget how bad it was prior to Ben. It sometimes takes years to get the right QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't think our backup situation is that bad. i'd like to see landry re-signed and also see what met has next year in preseason.:cool:

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe they should sign Romo and let him learn behind Ben.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    One thing to keep in mind, the "sit for 3 years and learn" approach was more viable for the team under the old CBA. Under the old CBA players needed to accrue 6 seasons to be unrestricted free agents. Now it's 4. If you have a QB sit for 3 years, and start in his 4th. He is unrestricted after his 1st season as a starter. The team has to make a contract and/or franchise tag decision after only seeing the player start for 1 year. Do you really know a QB after 1 year as a starter? There have been plenty of 1 year wonder QBs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Only if he isnt a 1st round pick, if he is a 1st round pick they can use the 5th year option......

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was speaking more along the line if the FO is worried about how many years he has left, because of the injuries piling up, would they start looking for his replacement now. I think he has 3-5 left but how do they feel? Do they decide to just run with Ben until he's gone and then start looking for a replacement or try to have something in place before then. I don't know but I think the later, I just don't know what year they may start doing that.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    True. I will be pretty ticked if we draft a QB of the future in the 1st round in 2017 though. We're a legit contender now when healthy, and that first rounder needs to be spent on someone who will contribute sooner. We can get a vet backup QB who will outperform a rookie if Ben gets hurt (if we make the right decision on a vet - which I don't think we've done since Batch and Leftwich).

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The timing is excellent for a qb in this upcoming draft, I hope our scouting
    department and FO are covering all the bases.There out there these people have to find them.

9. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    The thing that everybody is ignoring is that we not only need a guy to replace Ben, but we also need a good backup. That means 2 good QB's.

Next years draft should have 5 or 6 NFL ready QB's, much like the 83 draft.
    Mayfield just announced yesterday he is coming back to Oklahoma next year, so he figures to be the prize in 2018, but there is some good looking QB's lined up for 2018 too. So the chance of the Steelers finding 2 QB's is pretty good.

Ben will almost definitely retire after the 2019 season.

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Yes I understand the 4 year window was just making a point. Favre played those 3 years and Rodgers didn't see the field. In Bens case he has missed time and he rushes himself back which hasn't been favorable. His can only go on so long with his style of play and the beating he has taken. Do you think if they decide to draft a QB in the 1st that he won't see any playing time, maybe significant ? I'm just looking ahead to the possibilities of having a heir apparent. The time to start thinking about it is now. But hey, that's just me. Lets trot Laundry Jones out there for a season...

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They will never draft 2 QBs. Might not even draft 1.

If Colbert drafts 2, I'm driving to Pittsburgh and shoot his pinky toe off.

12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We just might get lucky and find a diamond in the ruff...while we are searching around. I believe Meck will be our long term backup. Landry should be gone after next camp

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    And who would that be? There aren't any decent QBs coming out this year.

14. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Dafuq is Meck? Are you talking about mettenberger?

15. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Sure there are just because UTs sucks doesnt mean there arent decent qbs out there

16. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Then answer the question. What QB is worth drafting? Please enlighten us all. And BTW, I'm not sure a UK homer is an any position to down any other SEC football team... Just sayin

17. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    The team should start planing for the future without Ben, because as was mentioned before he has taken a beating with his style of play. I think their best bet to be in a position to draft one of the top QB talents is to do a New England type trade. Maybe trade away 2017's #2 for someone's 2018 #1. And then package that #1 and their own #1 to go up get someone they like.

18. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Hold on pj...I'm still processing your plan.

math.gif

19. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012

MAGNETS
    HOW DO THEY WORK?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I didn't mention him cause he'll never be our future QB. If Landry Jones is our future QB we're done. They drafted him to be our backup never replace Ben I thought. If they did draft him with the thinking of him being our future they figured it out real quick he's not!

21. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Yea that's why I put it in green font color which is a forum inside-joke designation for sarcasm.

22. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I am also in the camp of wanting to invest a high pick in the qb position next year. It's time to start grooming a legit successor- and with all the high picks on defense in the past few years, I think they can afford to use a 1 or 2 on that position. Now, is there a guy worth taking that high?

23. Guest

Guest Guest

Ben's replacement will be whomever the Rooneys, i.e., Dan (if he's still living and not senile at the time) deem it to be just like it was their decision to draft Ben, unless it is someone mutually agreed upon from the get go.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  24. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Bens replacement is most likely a Junior in High School right now. His backup for next year is already playing in the NFL. A guy I would go after next year is EJ Manuel. Buffalo has Tyrod Taylor as the starter...and Cardale Jones will be in his 2nd year.

25. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I think there is no huge rush. Ben will play at least three more years. So if there is someone worth grabbing in the draft I say grab him. On the other hand if the option are crap we could always wait for a Patriots back up. They seem to be pretty dang good.