1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bens lateral was legal

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by truckin9999, Dec 11, 2013.

1. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was wondering about that. From the replays I saw, it was hard to see if it was a forward pass or not. Of course the networks didn't give that play much air time because it didn't matter since Brown stepped out. Now I know truly how close we were. Still can't believe Brown stepped out for no reason.

3. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i wonder what made him step out. it looked like he had plenty of room between him and the defender. i wonder if the snow on the field played a part. maybe he lost sight of the sidelines.

its easy to see the sidelines when your standing still, but when your running full speed its probably a bit tougher. especially in that weather.

4. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    What is it with Steelers and sidelines lately?

5. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The snow next to the out of bounds area was cleared. Not sure how that would have had an impact on him stepping out.

6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I originally thought it was illegal, but as one poster had pointed out, Ben had extended his arm, making it a legal play. Now it makes the whole thing so much more crushing.

HAD this play worked out, where would it rank in the all-time great Steelers plays? I say 4th, behind the Immaculate Reception, Santonio's SB TD, and JH's INT return.

7. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    No way to know, but I think given the field conditions, AB rounded his path to the sideline rather than making a sharp cut.

8. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I think it was just a misstep and nothing more. It was close to when he tried to juke the defender/etc and he just overstepped coming back to his left it seems. It happens. Would have been one hell of a play had he stayed in though.

9. bong477

bong477 New Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Debating whether this makes me feel better or worse...

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm wrestling with that myself... :hmmm:

11. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    That I can see but I don't think he lost sight of the sidelines due to snow on the field.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I've said this before but one of our problems is that we are not a football smart team. He has to have a more awareness of the sideline there, I could understand if the defender was much closer but he had a lot of room relatively speaking. Stupid careless blunder. First game of the season, Paulson fumbles on our very first drive I think it was, doesn't bother to cover up the ball next to him. Another play where we failed to down a player on the ground that got up and ran with the ball, Sanders had a similar blunder in the endzone. Not smart and very careless team.

13. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    There's certainly a lot of evidence to back this up. Of course, a play like that, you could argue, is never REALLY expected to work, but that seems to be the case with the Steelers in other game situations. A play late in the game with the clock running works and we run around without ever REALLY having given thought to what we should be doing on the next play. Do we spike? Do we huddle? Timeout? Oh my gosh! We're getting close to WINNING!?!!?!??! Maybe when we get to the mentality again where we expect to succeed on a play or a game some of that will turn around....

14. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    If it makes you feel any better, it saved us the potential embarrassment of faking the extra point and going for 2 with the score tied.....

15. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Pittsburgh has been in every game this season and could easily be 10-3 right now. But, the lack of fundamentals killed us.

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    strange ..tomlin sayd he is more a fundamental guy than schemes :hmmm:

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ain't that a kick in the head.

18. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    :this!: When you look at the season, we lost all the close games except the first Ratbirds game. At the least, we should be 8-5. Good, solid teams finish games. That wasn't this team.

19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    *ahem* :wave:

Yeah, that was me. But the fact that it was legal ABSOLUTELY KILLS ME! :cry:

I would have rather it been an illegal forward pass given how it turned out. It would have been easier to swallow.

20. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    ...........but we still loss the game. No disrespect but whats the point of this post?

21. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    The point is, it would be easier to deal with, if we knew that it didn`t matter if AB stepped out, because it would have been overturned upon review, because Ben made a forward pass..
    Since he didn`t, we would have actually WON that game, that we didn`t deserve to win, and still had a realistic shot at the playoffs..
    As it is... Brown`s slight mis-step, cost us a chance to still compete for the playoffs.(Along with Troy, and Allen`s missed tackles, and a couple big runs, and Ben`s fumble, and starting 0-4, and letting Pryor run for 98 yards on the 1st play in Oakland, and giving up 600+ yards to New England, and etc,etc,...)...
    At any rate, I agree that would have to rank as one of the top 4 plays in Steeler history, assuming we managed to get in the playoffs, and make some noise there...That`s not a given, considering how we`ve played this year.
    But, we could have at least kept some crazy dreams alive!

22. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Winning team IMHO deserves to win.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually, Im glad Bens pass was legal, otherwise there would be 50 Ben sucks trade him threads.

24. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    :thumbs_up: Good eye my friend.

25. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I disagree. I want our team to be talented enough to execute on a play like that. The fact that it worked save for an unnecessary misstep is really impressive and hopefully it can work at some point in the future