1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben's injury vs. Cutler's

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Cbus Steelers, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    How similar are these injuries, anyone know? I know they both have broken thumbs on their throwing hands, but I'm not a medical expert to know if there can be significant differences in thumb fractures.

Cutler elected to have the surgery and Ben is obviously playing through it. Should we be worried that Ben will be ineffective and then have to have the surgery and miss the rest of the regular season like Cutler? Obviously Ben is 100x tougher than Cutler, but just seeing what you guys think...

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    There's no definitive info on either injury. But one can speculate.

Ben likely has a hairline fracture in one of the bones. Cutler's was broken completely, maybe even in several places. If he needs surgery, they need to bind the bones together so they can heal. A simple splint or cast won't do.

Ben only needs a splint, so it's not as severe.

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Or at least that's what the bears are saying

4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Cutler injured his vagina, Ben fractured the thumb.

5. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Just something to keep in mind..Cutler is a diabetic and the healing process is much slower for diabetics. Cutler has to check his blood sugar up to 20 times during a game, and sometimes has to take an insulin shot during the game.

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Wow. Something I did not know. He's not the only (or first) diabetic to play, but I had never heard of his diabetes before. That does weigh in on his healing.

I know it's fun to mock Cutler for being a pansy. I just don't see it in this case.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Anyone who survives four years as a starter at Vanderbilt playing an SEC schedule and then gets drafted in the first round is not a panzy. This kid is tough and smart (though not always likeable). If his NFL teammates respect him - which they do - then the opinion of a bunch of folks who couldn't take a fraction of the pounding he has doesn't really mean much.

9. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    LOL I couldn't wait to see the responses to the thread as soon as I saw it. Nicely done.

10. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Seemed to have touched a nerve there Cat. Like you inferred, thats just my opinion. Oh, BTW, how did you like that game Saturday night? As bad as UT has been the past few years, they can always bank on a win against Vandy and KY.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Just tired of hearing people call a guy soft who clearly doesn't deserve the reputation and isn't exactly surrounded by a superstar laden offense. He's not one of my favorite people but he's earned the respect of his peers and that means a lot.

I am Vandy alum but stopped getting emotionally invested in their games (same with my other alma mater - Pitt) as they routinely invent new ways to give away games, lose games they shouldn't, and then try to suck you back in by playing over their heads once or twice a year and usually when it means nothing to them. UT got the win but their program's not out of the woods yet. Settling for beating the likes of Vandy and KY in football isn't going to get them back in a conference where one division has the top three teams in the country.

12. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    :
    Yeah... the couldn't even beat KY after owning them for the last 27 years. 5-7 on the season. Definitely a low spot for TN football. Oh well... next season we'll be a force to be reckoned with... LOL!!!

I still think Cutler is a wuss.

13. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Just an echo I guess but anyone who steps on the field in Division l Football and then in the NFL is anything but a wuss. One of the silliest posts imaginable.

14. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Even if you are a kicker?

15. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    kickers are soccer players in pads :p