1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben's Comments about Bruce Arians

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers5859, Jan 26, 2012.

1. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I found it in the Trib. Basically said he is going to Art and ask where do he want the offense to go. I'm not going to read into anything but looks like he is definitely not happy about Arians dismissal.

2. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Got a link or anything?

3. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It's been clear for years that Ben wants Bruce as his OC.

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  5. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
  6. harristotle

Oct 17, 2011
    Thanks for the link guys! Honestly I don't see this meeting as necessarily a bad thing. Maybe Ben having a sit-down with the Rooney will help get him to buy into the direction they are headed. I don't see us making massive changes on offense. Some changes in the O-line blocking schemes or personnel, better situational play calling, and getting Ben to check it down more often are really the difference in taking this offense to the next level.

7. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Sounds like this is going to be a problem. Ben better come to terms with this quickly.

8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm sure Ben WILL accept it and move forward. But first he needs to use his leverage and express his irriation with the management, so that they have to come and soothe his feeling and toss him a bone of some sort (input into OC choice, QB coach if if the new OC is Fichtner, how the offense will be run). Then he'll be fine. But he's got influence in this organization and he's a gonna use it.

9. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Relax guys, he's still in shock. The poor man just had his lover ripped out of his arms. Give him a few days to wallow, weep, watch Dirty Dancing a couple times... He'll come around. We just have to find him the right man.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    and a couple of new big ugly butts in front of him when he's in the shotgun. :cool:

11. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Ben is a professional... he'll get over it.

12. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Hey this is on BA. He was told by Art and Coach Tomlin to run more. Thirty years in the Marines, if I told a guy a Mouse could pull a house, he better be hitchin it up, or it could get bloody. BA was told, he didn't do? Toodles Bruce. From experience, you give a guy a warning after telling him what you want and he didn't do it, you just gave him an excuse to do what he been doing. Then you are no longer in charge.

13. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Agreed. Ben just wants to be clear about what is expected. I don't see this as a problem.

14. harristotle

Oct 17, 2011
    Some serious words of wisdom there :good:

15. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Hey Guys, First Post.

"When I get back I'm going to go up to Mr. Rooney's office and ask him what he wants from me..."

I hope Mr. Rooney tells him, "I want your ass on the treadmill." Then I hope he tells him, "I want you to do what the hell you're told to do when you're told to do it. Now get out of my office."

This interview really highlights just how arrogant BR really is. To think that he is "going up to Mr. Rooney's office..." The tonality of the whole statement just reaks like arrogant pompous ass.

This is what's wrong with BR. Unfortunately, we have a Leader who right now doesn't believe in the concept that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Maybe it's the Active Duty Military in me, but this article really turns me off.

Could you imagine walking into your Boss's office with that attitude?

16. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    He wasn't told by anyone to run the ball more, he was told to run the ball more effectively. Big difference.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is not a negative guys, Ben wants a sit down with his boss so they are on the same page. To me this sounds like Ben is trying to be a team player and find out just what the boss wants. He showed respect by saying things like Rooney is the boss and we'll do this his way. And sharing his thoughts on where the offense should be is not a negative either, I'm sure it will be a productive meeting.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    How can you come to that conclusion without actually hearing the syntax of how it was said? It's just a meeting, nothing more.

19. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    this and everyone just an FYI Rooney isnt Ben's boss Tomlin is Ben's boss!

20. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Agree, personally running the ball 'more' is insane. If I'm Balt or Cincy, I'd be perfectly happy for the Steelers to take the ball out of Ben's hands. The more they want to run it, the better.

As for running the ball more 'effictively'. Rushing yds per carry were 4.2 in 2009, 4.1 in 2010 and 4.4 in 2011. Seems to me BA took his boss's instruction to heart and had a more efficient running game.

21. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Yup. It's about situational play calling too. "Hey, it's 3rd and 1. Let's line up 5 wide with an empty backfield. They'll never know what is coming!"

22. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well he's supposed to be a professional, but right now he's acting delusional. Quote: He was miffed by the timing of the change now because Roethlisberger said he believes the offense is close to putting it all together. "We feel like we are really close to being an elite offense," said Roethlisberger.

Really? Tied for 21st & 22nd in scoring this past year and you're "close to putting it all together" and "really close to being an elite offense". If that's elite, what we should call the offenses of the 20 teams who scored more points than our (close to) elite offense? Uhmmmm, I can't think of too many adjectives better than elite. Anybody?

23. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't think it's fair to judge him based on comments made right after his friend was shown the door. Do you expect him to say "We really sucked on offense but I wish they kept him around"?

24. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Suck? No. But elite? Equally no.

25. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    He is just trying to justify his emotions. Like I said, he'll get over it.