1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bens Arm

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    And with the zip he puts on the ball, our secondary needs to be on the receivers like glue.

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Ben is not even close to a problem right now. Historically and lately, when Ben runs the no huddle we are exceptional on offense. i.e. sans Fitchner.

Our secondary is our weakness right now, lack of talent isn't easy to fix, lack of discipline is.

I really like the make-up of this team right now and if we can stop the foolish penalties, I think we have a real chance of a long run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I'm not worried about Ben's arm, think it's ready. His lapses sometimes in throwing the int in crunch situations is a concern.

5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    then we get Tebowed

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Which personnel in the secondary do you consider a weakness?

7. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    The ones starting who aren't named Fitzpatrick.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  9. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I thought it as odd a bit. Again though, I let my emotions get the better of me. Devin Bush was getting beat in coverage for a good section of that game. The Touch Down is what got to me as that was what I thought to be the final piece of a bad game.

Granted, Devin Bush still did not have a good game in coverage. However, now knowing this, it was not as bad as I initially thought.

11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I disagree. With the exception of maybe Edmunds I have not seen any glaring holes. You have Joe and Minkah back there .. It does not get much better than that.

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Edmunds made a costly error? Consider me not in the least surprised. This is why I find it so funny that some folks here have been talking about him finally getting his act together just because he got the sack to clinch the game. He got a free run at the quarterback due to a blown blitz pick up by the Broncos. Granted, he didn't screw it up and miss Driskell, but there was nothing special about that play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    The OP made it sound like we have glaring issues in the secondary. I dont think that is true. In your example I agree because on that TD you can see Edmunds double covering a receiver and it looks like he releases to Bush?

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Outside of Baltimore, one will be hard pressed to find a better secondary than Pittsburgh.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

The idea of that defensive concept as a whole is for Edmunds to carry the Tight End unless the Running Back is going in for the kill shot; hence the "fast 3" terminology. The issue was not the play calling. The issue was the execution.

Either way, this is maddeningly obnocious at this point for Edmunds. How many more gaffes is it going to tske. Is the communication that difficult to comprehend?! For that matter, how much more is Tomlin going to stand?!

Mistakes like this will rear their ugly head sooner than later. That cannot happen.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I guess that explains Hilton holding his hands up in frustration. Edmunds looked like a rookie on that play . I agree it's not acceptable. Time for a change?

17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Or low

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Haden, although one of my favorite players, has been bad thus far.
    Edmunds, although he played better last week, has been questionable.
    Hilton, although another of my favorites, was foolish for hitting Driskel late last week.
    Fitzpatrick, although I love what he did last year, was foolish for the out of bounds horse collar tackle last week.

As a whole, despite what could be a scheme that put pressure on them, they have been sloppy and undisciplined.

The front line has played solid.
    The depleted O-line did their job.
    Ben has played fairly well despite the lack of timing from being gone so long.
    The receivers have caught most of what has been thrown their way.
    Between Snell and Connor, the running game has been acceptable.

The secondary allowed two bad team to make a game when there shouldn't have been one.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

That actually reminds me. I wonder if there was another purpose for bringing not just those Refs in but also Sean Davis back? Yes he is depth but he has played in the system before.

I would imagine at this point Terrell might be on a short leash. That said, I hope he can turn it around. Not a fun idea playing musical chairs with the secondary at this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Yikes. Not much better than Fitz and Haden? I like Joe. He was a big improvement when we picked him up. He has been a good, solid addition since putting on the black and gold. But his play of late hasn't been up to standard. You gotta feel for the guy because he's getting flagged coming out of the tunnel. But when he's not getting flagged so far this season, he's either getting turned around, out of position, or just plain getting beat. Nelson looks lost at times. Hilton's contributions are in the sack he gets about every game from the corner blitz. And don't get me started on Edmunds.

My opinion on the secondary isn't about individuals, but the collective. Part of it is scheme, part personnell. But all of it is that we can't cover well enough. I don't care who's out there, I've seen two second tier qb's make our secondary look bad two weeks in a row. They just don't pass my eye test. Maybe I need new glasses. Or maybe I'm seeing the same issue from last year...that I talked about last year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    As much as I love Haden, I think he has lost a step and at his height, if you don't have quickness and speed, you are toast.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    As far as Joe getting flagged out of the tunnel, I wonder why? He is a good guy with strong charterer as far as I know. Has he succeeded by being a little to handsy and maybe that's why he gets called a lot? I don't know because I can't see enough of his technique to comment.

23. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I don't know either. And it seemed to come out of nowhere at some point last season. My OPINION (for those of you who need to know that) is that the majority of calls against him are ticky-tack or even downright bad. He just seems to be getting his unfair share of PI calls and that's making like difficult for him on the island. I would assume stuff like that gets in your head and you try to compensate a bit to keep from getting those calls against you. And once it's in your head, you're in trouble. His job is so reactionary and technique-based. At his level, you don't think about what you're doing. Thinking=failure. So maybe that's a part of his drop-off. I really don't know. But what I see from him is a step down from what we're accustomed to.

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    He's in his 11th year, that's a long time for the critical position he's played. I will always appreciate him as a Steeler, too bad he spent so much time with that garbage organization.

25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I just looked at their 2 game O output. Telling number 7/19 3rd down conversions. We stunk up the place with this last week. If we can improve, and keep that stat low for them it will be hard for the T's to overcome. Their average time of poss. is 25 mins, 4 td's (2 rush, 2 pass) and 3/4 FG's, -3 in TO's, and 5 sacks. The running games has not been that productive. Keep the pressure on Watson, get off the field (something we have a knack of not doing) and we will win.