1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Benny Snell Football

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 6, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It means when they run to daylight.....it takes one guy a little longer to escape the “ darkness “

2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Definitely some burst on that play. I would say he continued to show more burst as the season went on. Just not consistently enough to convince me he is the long term answer at running back. Off season conditioning is going to be huge for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    As it stands now Samuels is our best receiving back. I’m not saying they wouldn’t draft a RB later in the draft but if you’re picking one with our first or second pick he’d better be competing with Conner and Snell and not Samuels. To me you either are trying to draft Conners replacement a year early or you wait until much later until you try and add to a already crowded room. RBs can start very early in the league. It doesn’t make sense to draft one early unless he’s a start day 1 type. You can wait until you need one and we have much bigger needs.

4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    This. Until I see proof that he is totally committed to improving his conditioning and committed to being in the best shape of his life I’m not going to be convinced he’s physically and mentally up to the challenge of being a featured back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Well hell, I'm not SURE he is a #1. I thought JC was better than LBell behind our OL, definitely making HIM #1. But I can't see designating a #1 back who can't stay on the field.

Snell is unproven as a feature back. But right now, I would rather have him designated #1 than JC, only because JC isn't dependable to be on the field for a full season. JMO. :drinks:

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This. They all say what a big difference that is from college to the pros.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I have no problem drafting Conner's replacement this year, he will play some because Conner won't play in 16 games. A good RB might drop if he's the BPA then maybe you draft him, I wouldn't keep Samuels just because he's good at catching passes, he's pretty much useless as a runner.

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    As much as I’d like to add a toy to the RB room I just feel we have too many other more pressing needs. Are you talking 1st or 2nd pick or are you saying someone like Harris falls to the 4th? Because that changes things because the value is too good to pass up. If you are talking 1st or 2nd pick I think you have to draft that guy with the intention he’s gonna play early and often. I don’t see that happening until Conner gets hurt ,not before. IMO you invest heavily in a top RB when you actually need one. There’s no point in them sitting and waiting..jmo

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

All the more reason I could not be any more excited for Devin Bush Jr. even if I tried to. To me, he has the capability to be an All Pro come 2020. All he needs is an Offseason dedicated to Training without any impeding issues.

Thankfully, he has none of that. An Off-Season full to himself. Moreover to the point, nevermind him being just an All Pro. I believe Devin Bush Jr has Hall of Fame potential.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

I’m certainly not against drafting a back because I think they will need a replacement for Conner soon but I agree that Snell can be the lead back and have a feeling the Steelers feel the same way.

They may take one but probably later rounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I hope it works out that way Blast. I really liked Snell coming out of college, and I felt like he could be an NFL lead back. I think his rookie season had mixed results, but if he makes a reasonable year one to year two jump, we’ve got something. I’m not really enamored with this year’s draft class at RB, though I think Dobbins would be a good pick at #49 if he makes it that far. Otherwise I’m not excited at all about the guys coming out this year. I actually think Kerrith Whyte in year 2 may be better in 2020 than any rookie we can get outside of the top 4 or 5 backs, plus Whyte has the added value of being a very capable kick returner.

Honestly, I would stick with the guys we have and pass on the RB position unless Dobbins is there at #49 or one of the other top 5 backs is there at #102. After that point, I think all we’d be getting for 2020 is a practice squad guy. In that case I’d wait until 2021 to draft Connor’s replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Have you watched any CEH? Don’t know if he’d still be there are 102 but wouldn’t be upset if they drafted them.

But I agree, really don’t think this is a position they need to look at this draft.

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't know how much we really have to go on with Snell. Maybe he is able to do something similar to what Bell did in terms of changing his body through conditioning. Maybe he will be quicker in his second season. Maybe he will make more decisive cuts and anticipate things better now that he has a full season of experience running against NFL defenses. Neither of those are sure things.

If what we saw last year is what we're going to get from Snell, I would think we can all agree that is not a No. 1 back.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think his second year jump has more to do with Conner and how they approach using them both if Conner stays healthy.

If Conner gets hurt, I’m pretty confident in Snells ability to step in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I consider CEH to be a top 5 back, probably 3 or 4. All I’m really going on is watching games in the fall, but he’s a good player. I’m not sure I’d take him over some of the other non-RBs likely to be there at #49.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am a Snell fan most here last year read my posts about him. With that said I feel we need another back as well. Can't depend on Conner, Samuel's is our pass catcher and Whyte is more of the speed guy. I think we need an all in one guy and I have said for the last few months I don't want one at 49. I do think Dillon and Perine later are both good fits for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Snell needs to drop about 10 pounds, that should help him get quicker, Bell and Conner both came into their second season in better shape and seemed quicker.

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Been saying all along, like most here, that RB is not a need. Dobbins at 49 would be the only scenario I would like. Even with some of the ones I like in the mid rounds, I don't think they do anything more than push Samuels off the roster maybe. I like CEH but not at 49 and he won't be there at 102. Some are now saying he goes RB1, but that's just speculation.

I'll take Rodney Smith out of Minnesota as an UDFA and call it good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I see it differently turtle. I think a RB1 is one of our most pressing needs. Tomlin likes Bellcows & Conner can't make it past 8-9 games. I like using our first rounder on a safety & grabbing someone who will contribute significantly with the 2nd rounder.
    Getting Dobbins at #49 would be the tits. If not, taking a lead back before the top 5 are gone does more than push Samuels off the roster. It gives us a legit threat at that position for the next 3 years at the least. Picking up another RB in the later rounds or Udfa only puts another project on Tomlin's plate unless they strike gold.

20. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I can see both sides of the argument. They don’t have an explosive between the tackles guy, Conner and Snell are both power runners, neither has breakaway speed. I believe that an explosive back with good pass catching ability would offer the most immediate impact to the offence and they are in a one-two year window with Ben. If the right guy is there you would have to think very hard about it.

The running back position has been devalued in recent years but I feel that some people have taken it too far entirely and are completely against taking a running back high in the draft ever. Apart from one spectacularly talented 2017 draft the hit rate on running backs outside the first couple of rounds is not very good. Look at the top rushers in 2019, virtually all went in rounds 1-2 or were from the 2017 draft. You do need to invest in the position every now and again.

I’m not that sold on the current group, especially when Conner inevitably gets hurt.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd love Dobbins of course but I don't think he's there. Now I will say the kid they looked at from Appalachian state teamed with Snell could be a formidable combo. Remember we didn't have a fb for much of last year. We do now. Evans is a good runner and pass catcher and is quick. He's a one cut runner that will work well with a fb. Rusher for over 1400 yards and 18 TDS last year. 5 more in the passing game. Could very well be there in the 4th round. Wouldn't need to be that feature back. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I can see your argument if Ben sticks with his sandlot tendencies to throw the ball deep. His project of "Switzer as Edeleman" needs to be uprooted & burned, a good receiving RB1 gives Ben his outlet.

23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I so agree Turtle, I like Dobbins a ton but I feel our other needs are more pressing and I like a few guys later on a lot(Dillon and Perine). I feel we have enough on the roster right now with Conner and Snell that Dobbins might not see enough time until the end of the year or even next year. jmo

24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Personally, I think if we lucked into Dobbins being available at 49 and take him, he’s RB1 by week 4 or 5. I strongly dislike OSU, and I know an OSU player is good when they really piss me off. Dobbins pissed me off a LOT. He can really do everything you need an RB to do.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    The thing I fear is, As many have stated is that Snell has to make that year 1 to year 2 body transformation ala Bell, And I agree but.....

What worries me is that this Pandemic, That has altered everybody and everything will cause Snell NOT to change...

You see those videos of players sprinting, jumping, lifting, sweating like hell to their favorite jams...With their trainer pushing them to the brink in some lavish facility...

Is Snell self dedicated enough to be like Rocky Balboa this whole off-season with the social distancing thing to do the self disciplined home workouts?...Lifting, Sprinting, footwork, weight loss etc...And of course chase chickens, chop wood, carry logs, and run the steps of Philly in a ****ty grey sweatshirt.....

Don't know the man at all, But I would say no Adrian.....

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020