1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Benny Snell Football

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 6, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes indeedy I’m aware :smiley1:

2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Well, we just signed Darrin Hall to a Reserve/Future contract off our practice squad. We are now done with running backs for the season. No need to address that position in the draft. All set at RB for 2020.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Satisfied? No. Just being realistic. Our OL isn't likely getting back to championship caliber this offseason.

If Ben doesn't come back, the entire offense is in disarray for another year. It was built for, and around, him. And if we don't retain Finney, we have no center with any experience because Pouncey retires with Ben. 1500 yards with our stable of backs, no proven qb, and a makeshift OL would be an accomplishment.

If Ben does come back, expect Pouncey to play better. The OL won't be great, but Ben can make them look a little better. But don't expect a balanced attack. He will be chucking it like it's his last year...because it will probably be. That means 1500 yards on the ground is again going to be a good number, since Ben is going to be airing it out.

4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    If this team rushes for 1500 yds or there abouts with or without Ben we’ll miss another Post Season and will probably have to endure “ Tomlin still hasn’t had one losing season “!!!!!

Cajun
    <><

5. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm sorry, but I'm hearing how Chubb(4.52) and Snell's(4.66) 40 time were similar.

So would you say Chubbs 40 time was similar to a guy that ran a 4.38? Because that's the same ratio. We don't know the difference in long speed but i'm gonna guess that it widens further.

Plus Chubb jumped damn near a foot higher and farther than Snell. And almost doubled up Snell's bench.

As athletes, they're not really comparable. I'm not saying Snell can't be effective with a good OL, but please don't try to hedge your bets by saying the two are "comparable" athletes. A lot of RB's can be effective with a great OL. I want a guy that can make it happen with an average OL.

Top backs this year. I only put in guys that ran for over 800 yards. I threw in Bell because he was close.

Henry - 4.54 (of course he's huge)
    Chubb - 4.52
    Jacobs - 4.56
    McCaffrey - 4.48
    Elliot - 4.48
    Carson 4.58
    Fournette - 4.51
    Mixon - 4.43
    Cook - 4.49
    Mack - 4.50
    Gurley - 4.51
    Sanders - 4.49
    Michel - 4.54
    A. Jones - 4.55
    Ingram - 4.53
    Barkley - 4.38
    Lindsay - 4.39
    Kamara - 4.56
    Peterson - 4.40
    Bell - 4.6

Average time 4.50. So comparing the average time of the top 20 rb's against Snell's time, it's not good.

So, if I use the Chubb analogy again to put it in perspective, If a RB ran a 4.5 flat, would you say his time was comparable to another RB who ran a 4.34? The answer is no, btw.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think anyone was really making a case for how similar their 40 times were. I've acknowledged all along that Chubbs is a HR threat and Snell isn't. It's not a dramatic difference though, not like 4.66 to a 4.38.

What is similar is their height and weight and that they are power backs that aren't relied heavily upon in the passing game. The line reinvented itself to accommodate Bell, they could go back to a power running attack with Snell. It's actually easier to block for.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't know if Snell can get 1000 yards, Samuels averaged 2 YPC, time for a upgrade. If Whyte is on the 53 he won't get that many touches, his main value will be special teams. They need to draft another RB to share the load once gets injured again in 2020.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it's a pretty safe bet, he ran for 426 this year on 108 carries. Unless they cut Conner, which isn't happening, they will go into next season with Conner/Snell as the top two guys.

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I just don’t see the room on our current roster for another RB. So unless the thought is to draft one early that is gonna slot in between Conner and Snell and be the next man up I don’t see it. Our 4 RBs are set unless they are bringing in a change of pace back to supplant Whyte. He would also have to be a good KR as well to beat out Whyte. Any other RB they don’t see as a potential day 1 starter will very likely be destined for the practice squad and that opens up other potential issues trying to keep him.

As a team we had 395 attempts but roughly 45 of those were attributed to the QBs. So let’s say 350 attempts. Conner had 116 of them in a injury riddled season. Snell had 108. Samuels 66. Whyte 24. Edmunds 22. I could easily see Whyte getting half of Edmunds touches as well. Unless there is a major change in philosophy....where does another RB having to carry the load come into play? Conner or Snell would have to miss basically the entire season before there was a need to have someone slot into their spot. Conner missed 3 more games than Snell and still had a few more carries. If Conner stays healthy Snells carries go down even more and unless we are going to go from 350- 500 attempts I’m not sure how Snell is gonna double his attempts and we are going to find all these other attempts to need someone to carry the load. So far under Ben/Fichtner with or without each other, there is no load....

Also keep in mind we only typically dress 3 or 4 RBs. Conner ,Snell, Samuels and Whyte because he’s our KR . Any other viable RB would be a healthy scratch and waste of a spot on the 53.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Not going to argue with you about this because you're right. The only thing I will add is that there is a bigger difference between the .14 seconds from 4.38 to 4.52 and 4.52 to 4.66 because of the build of the athlete. Most sub 4.4 athletes are not going to be running backs. And as you gain weight and strength (not typically related to speed) you also lose less speed in pads. A 4.38 athlete in shorts is probably slower in pads than a 4.52 athlete.

I believe too much is made over 40 times in shorts. The true "fast" athletes are fast in pads.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Taking pads ,no pads and build out of the equation. We are basing the discussion on their 40 times without pads and would also like to mention that @Jball is also probably correct when he says Chubbs long speed is probably even more so pronounced compared to Snell. I posted the video where he hit 21.95mph which was the fastest in the entire league this season. Anyway....you know that video they do during the combine where they super impose the 40yd dashes of the athletes? You would have the exact amount of separation between guys running say 4.3 -4.4 as two guys running 4.5-4.6. It’s the same difference in speed by comparison.( I think I said that right?:smiley1:)

12. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You don't know that he can't. Why would you think he couldn't when with the same production and 225 carries, he hits 1000? I would like to think that our OL and qb would be better next season. Hard to get worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m sure he could with enough attempts but like I said in my other post unless Conner gets hurt where do his carries come from? It’s not as hard as it used to be to crack 1,000yds. 16 games idK what do you have to avg? 62 yds or something. The reason less guys are doing it is because of lack of attempts and RB by committee.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Chubb and Henry both run faster in pads than other comparable rb's. Snell and Chubb could run the exact same 40 in shorts and Chubb could walk him into the endzone with pads on. Chubb's 21.95mph run just further shows his ability to run faster in pads. If shorts speed were dependable, Barkley would have the fastest run in the league. Putting pads on separates the men from the boys.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Exactly. Couldn't agree more. Except that JC can't stay healthy to take enough carries away from Snell.

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    ...and you said your wife is bad at math...lol:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well he stayed healthy enough last year only played 10 games and still out carried and rushed him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    My bad. Blast said early in this thread that Snell averaged 4.7 ypc. I assumed he meant for the season and I didn't fact check him. My mental math said 225 * 4.7 was over 1000. It's 1057.5. So my math was okay, just not my facts. I'm sure my wife would agree with that. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You got me there. ;)

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe he was talking about what Snell averaged per carry in college? He averaged 3.9 yards per rush, a huge difference from Chubb's 5.0. There really isn't much that is comparable about them.

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    They may have both stayed at a Holiday Inn....

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry for the confusion, GD, not sure what post you are referencing but I was probably giving a breakdown of the two games he started this season, 4.67 and 5.06.

23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    What's it all mean, Darkness?

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    On some of the podcasts I listen to they have said they don't think Samuels is a lock in 2020, I agree with them, if they draft a good RB I would cut Samuels.

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    FWIW, some of the talking heads who cover the Steelers they have been saying they're not sure Snell is a #1 RB.