1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Benny Snell Football

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 6, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Didn’t say you couldn’t or shouldn’t just that they’re not accurate at this point and have no facts to back the comparisons up. Speculate away though. That’s what we do here :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    If YOU made personnel decisions we'd be in more trouble than we are now. Couldn't disagree more with you if you were @Formerscribe. Snell doesn't need to be any of the things you said he isn't ("pure runner" whatever that is or a better receiver/blocker). He runs the ball just fine. He might not ever make the pro bowl, but that isn't a prerequisite for winning in the post season, so who cares if he isn't better than other non-pro bowlers?

You don't know about his ability out of the backfield because he wasn't utilized that way. He wasn't given much opportunity to block traditionally as we were facing overloaded boxes most of the season.

And what is this #1 #2 rb business? You either have a bell cow and depth or a committee. We didn't have a bell cow last season because JC was broken most of it and Tomlin doesn't know how to use a rb-by-committee system.

A competent OL answers all the questions. I'm taking JC out of the mix and saying he shouldn't be resigned because he simply cannot be trusted to stay healthy. Love the guy, but it's time to find another profession. The trio we have now with Snell/Sam/Whyte is more than capable enough to rush for 1500 yards behind a competent OL. Edmunds provides depth.

Taking any rb in the draft over another position of need is utter insanity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Blast didn't say "be Chubb." He said "be OUR Chubb." As in, "Snell could definitely be our bell cow." No one is expecting Snell to be a carbon copy of Chubb, even though Blast already documented that their 40 times are very close, as well as weight. Now, there is a big difference between running in and out of pads. Some guys just don't run as fast in pads as others.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree that with a total commitment to running the ball and a effective OL the trio you mentioned has the potential to approach the 1,500yd mark. Whenever trying to compare players skills and ability on a one to one basis though I always like to ask the question...would you trade one for the other. So I will ask , is there anyone in their right mind knowing what we know at this very moment that wouldn’t trade Snell for Chubb? Anyone?

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You can't take Conner out of the mix, he's still under contract for 2020 and will be the #1 RB. You're delusional if you think Samuels is going to put up rushing yards of a significant amount, his best attribute is catching passes out of the backfield.

6. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Ohhh, very good question!!! Pretty easy to answer, imo. No offense to our boy, but yes, I'd swap them and not look back. I don't think that changes any of the previous discussion, however. Snell is ours to utilize and with a good line in front of him can tote the rock just fine. He won't break off 80 runs, but we shouldn't need him to.

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The only thing that would take a Conner out of the mix is him being injured. He’s still the best RB on the team. He has proven the ability to run and catch when the other guys have only marginally proven one or the other. Conner as long as he stays healthy will get the bulk of the carries because he’s better ,not because they’re afraid to unleash any of the other RBs on the team against the poor unsuspecting league...lol

That being said I like what all our RBs bring the table in their own way but for now Conner is the lead back. IMO any significant improvement that Snell makes will have to start with being in better shape. The same Snell will yield basically the same results and will pose no threat to a healthy Conner.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Like he was this past season? What were his "significant" rushing yards again in 2019?

Fix the OL and Snell can rush for 1000 yards, Sam can easily add 250 on the ground (500 all purpose), and Whyte, if used properly, is good for 250+.

9. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Well, at least we don't have to worry about that, right? :facepalm:

Fixed

Btw, what makes you think that Snell was out of shape?

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I would say most RBs playing at this level would have decent success running behind what we would consider a good OL. I mean how do we quantify the success of a RB? If he puts up bad numbers we can say it’s because of the OL. If the OL is opening up huge holes almost every RB is gonna run through it. Not taking vision and cut back ability into account. If the run is designed to hit a certain hole and the hole is there, they’re gonna run through it. Does Snell have talent and ability.? Yes. Does he have Chubb’s talent and ability? I would say no. Can he be effective behind a “good” OL? Absolutely. To say the only thing separating the two is just more opportunities I believe is false. We can’t compare him to the leagues leading rusher by 50 yds but we can compare him to be the leagues 2nd leading rusher? Based on what exactly? Now if you’re saying the comparisons are simply based on being the featured back on each team,maybe.
    He will have to prove he can overtake Conner first before we realistically get to Chubb.

11. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    He'll have to rush for more than 464 yards to be better than our #1 rb then. My money is on Snell. Frankly, if Samuels was given a few more carries, he could rush for more than Glass....erm, I mean, Conner.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    We will hear in training camp next season that Conner is injury free and in the best shape of his life. He'll start the season with an OK first game and then about the 3rd quarter of the second game he will limp off the field or go off holding his shoulder.
    His status for the rest of the games will be "questionable" and he will play here and there but be hampered by nagging injuries before shutting down for the season in week 12.

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The same OL maybe minus Foster and with Ben behind center could certainly yield different results.
    As far as Snell being out of shape. I wouldn’t say he was out of shape just that he wasn’t in peak physical condition. We’ve seen it with Bell,Conner and Samuels admitting to the fact they had to improve their conditioning in the off season. The same could probably be said for most 1st year guys that aren’t just natural freaks. The level of conditioning from college to the pros is usually something most guys need to improve on. So I’m spitballing that Snell probably falls into that same category. Plus he looked a little pudgy...lol

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Snell can't do what Chubb does. He doesn't have that kind of speed.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I totally get the frustration with Conner and his injuries. I would say considering what he’s gone through already in his life he isn’t milking his injuries. Some guys are susceptible to injury and his style of running doesn’t help either.
    Frustrating? Yes. He’s still the best RB on our roster though....

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No offense taken, so would I but he's presenting a straw man argument. I'm really surprised by the pushback some are giving us on this.

You'd think I was trying to say he could be Earl Campbell or something.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I get what you are saying here, but that isn't how speed is measured in the NFL. It is measured by how quickly a player gets from point A to point B. Burst helps them get there quicker. I think that was part of the disconnect. I was talking about how speed is actually measured on a football field. You were talking about the definition in science class.

That said, yes, a player can get faster by losing weight or reshaping his body. How fast he moves when he gets going can change if he is lighter or generates more power. Think of it like a race car. It can move at a faster speed if it is lighter. It can move at a faster speed if it generates more power.

I never said anybody was going to shave a full second off a .40 time. I'm talking about smaller changes that that. I made that clear early on.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I get what you are saying here, but that isn't how speed is measured in the NFL. It is measured by how quickly a player gets from point A to point B. Burst helps them get there quicker. I think that was part of the disconnect. I was talking about how speed is actually measured on a football field. You were talking about the definition in science class.

That said, yes, a player can get faster by losing weight or reshaping his body. How fast he moves when he gets going can change if he is lighter or generates more power. Think of it like a race car. It can move at a faster speed if it is lighter. It can move at a faster speed if it generates more power.

I never said anybody was going to shave a full second off a .40 time. I'm talking about smaller changes that that. I made that clear early on.

19. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I think that was on his scouting report. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I certainly didn't mean that Conner is milking his injuries. His injuries are for real, no question about that. I guess I am just frustrated that he can't stay healthy enough to help the team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    @Blast Furnace do you want to pull your hair out first? Or should I? I'm thinning quite a bit and can't really afford to lose more, so I'd rather not.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:

I'm good, Scribe should sit this one out, he fought me tooth and nail over DJ, guess who was right and who was wrong ;)

23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Yes I do am will again this year......:smiley1:, Not my fault everyone can't be a Harlen Miller or Tyler Higbee :hehehe:

The one thing you keep missing is opportunity, when I am comparing these guys in the draft it is thinking they are gonna get the opportunity which the Steelers are not giving Snell. Hard to be a guy like Chubb when you are sitting on the bench....... :shrug:

24. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    If Derick Henry breaks his femur in the offseason and we trade for him, he would be the best RB on our team even though he's on IR. And Snell will still rush for more yards. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    If I hit that lotto it will be one heck of a party for us here on TSF message board at a game of my treat..........At least most here. :roflmao:

• Like Like x 2