1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Benny Snell Football

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I see a lot of talk about who they should draft at RB but I don't think they will. I think knowing Conners injury concerns and his contract being up soon that they selected Snell in the draft with him in mind to take over.

He showed potential and I expect a big jump from year one to year two. Henry is too lofty a comparison but Snell could definitely be our Chubb, I'd be good with that.

https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/2...-talk-he-got-for-his-2nd-steelers-season.html

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Well, as long as you are willing to settle for second in the NFL in rushing yards. :hehehe:

Seriously, I think that is a little too high of an expectation for Snell. Chubb has excellent speed. Snell does not.

Maybe Snell can slim down and pick up some speed and agility the way Bell did from his first to his second seasons, but I'm guessing that was more an exception that proves the rule.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I'd rather him keep a little more weight and be able to take the pounding. He doesn't need to rip 40 yard runs. He showed this year that he has lean so I think he's more Henry than Chubb and Henry gets a scary amount of yards after contact. A healthy Snell running behind a solid line and a competent qb can run for 1000 yards but I don't think he'll be worked that hard. Snell/Sam/Whyte should be able to log 1500 yards if the line is fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hey man, if Benny Snell can make the second year jump, one less issue for us! In all honestly, I hope that happens even though I really want J.K. Dobbins from Ohio State. Really need a Tight End though.

Hopefully a good number of Steelers Staff will be at Purdue's Pro Day.

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Being better conditioned can lead to more speed and power. His weight may be fine but he needs to turn more of it to muscle and get in peak shape cardio wise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. I was responding to the comment that he needed to slim down to pick up speed and agility. Sounds like someone doesn't understand the physical toll the game takes on a running back, or the fact that speed is mostly something you have, not something you manufacture.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They still need depth due to injury concerns, we all saw what happened when the injuries hit this season, we had to rely on Trey Edmunds, Tony Brooks-James :facepalm:.

8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If they feel that Benny can rush for 800-900 yards next season and Conner / Whyte can also give you some production then RB is not a priority in the draft at all.

Next season is an absolutely huge one for Conner. Another injury ravaged season could see him out of the league or playing a journeyman role for near the league minimum. If he can stay reasonably healthy and have a productive season they may keep him on a team friendly deal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I avoided comparing him to Henry because the dudes a monster, I don’t know if Benny could ever take over a game like that but he could be dominant like Chubbs.

Agree about the speed, you don’t need to be a HR threat to be a dominant back. As long as he is in peak condition, that’s most important.

Id rather see him add receiving to his skill set.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Comparing Derrick Henry to Benny Snell should not be alluded to anyway. Has nothing to do with their performance in 2019 either; Draft Selections the same. So much more about Derrick Henry that not many are giving him credit for.

The main aspect though comes down to not just the Offensive Lineman but an Offensive Philosophy that maximizes Derrick Henry's skillset. That is the major difference here. Who the HECK knows what Randy is going to do with Benny Snell in 2020!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I don't see Benny as a Feature back but one heck of a second punch with a 2 headed monster system that would give Ben more freedom to get the ball to any of his young receivers no matter what the down. There were times in the past though that they could have done exactly that with DeAngelo Williams and LeVeon Bell but became very pass heavy instead.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I didn't understand why in the last 2 games every time Snell was into a rhythm and churning out yards, he was inexplicably taken out of the game. It seemed to hurt the flow of the offense when he came out.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you could argue this either way and possibly be right, but I don't see the need to prioritize a RB in the draft with Snell and Whyte. I think James has basically given all that he can which is remarkable for what he has been through. That is just an opinion though!

14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Henry is not a good comparison at all..Henry is a freak athlete, and runs like deer...Snell is not fast, more of a banger...Carlos Hyde would be a better comparison

15. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Good points. I was trying to be careful not to compare him to Henry for obvious reasons. The only reason I put him in Henry's camp over Chubb is the lean. And again, I'm not saying Snell is comparable to Henry in production or even ability, but style. Both backs run downhill.

The thing about Snell is that he can still get stronger and more in shape for the rigors of a full season. If they use him right, and keep him fresh for the duration of the season, he could do similar things like Henry, primarily get stronger as the game goes on. Bettis did that. There wasn't a defensive player in the league that wanted to tackle the bus late in the 4th quarter. Yes, part of that was just his size. It was fun having a lead in the 4th quarter and watching dudes take crazy angles to avoid hitting bussy head on. And sometimes he would take their angle and turn towards them just to inflict a little more punishment.

I'm not thinking Snell will be the reincarnation of the bus, but again, setting up our offense with a more competitive OL and a fresh Snell running downhill will take pressure off anyone we have behind center. And very good point about working on his pass catching ability.

I would run Samuels at fullback, blocking for Snell a couple plays early in the game. With any success at all, you could trot them out later on a 3rd and short with a heavy package in the same formation, then shift both of them out of the backfield into a 5 wide formation. You could run all receivers out on patterns or set up a hell of a screen if the defense sent too much pressure. I know. I'm getting ahead of myself.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Except Bell did exactly that. He got faster by the way he reshaped his body after his rookie season, including losing weight. People can get faster by losing weight and by changing the way they are conditioned. The one failing in understanding here is you.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Chubb is a home run threat with very good speed. I don't think Snell needs that kind of speed to be successful, but his lack of it is why I don't think Chubb is a good comparison.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Im just not sold on Snell being the answer. I was excited when he was drafted. I thought he started slow and then progressed nicely throughout the season. That being said I do not believe he is the answer at running back. It just doesnt seem to me like he has the burst that he needs to be an NFL starting back. Like others have said maybe with some offseason conditioning, a trimmer Snell can surprise everyone.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
  20. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Right on cue, doubling down on on innacurate assertions. You don't know what you're talking about. But keep blowing smoke if it makes you feel better.

21. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Huh? Chubb is a home run threat BECAUSE OF his speed. And no one is comparing Snell to Chubb other than to say Snell could be a dominant rb in the right system, as is Chubb.

22. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am a Snell fan was excited as heck when we drafted him however let's pump the brakes on comparing him to Chubb just yet. I mean Snell needs to be the starter first then we can worry about him being the next Chubb no????

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, I backed up my correct assertion with evidence as I always do. It is what I did when I crushed you in the debate on the Switzer thread and when I soundly beat you on the thread discussing the Steelers' defense.

24. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Keeping track of your delusions, I see. Whatever gets you through the day there, typewriter boy.

...wait...I just can't...you backed up your assertion with evidence???? Dude. You stated your opinion. Just because you type it, doesn't make it true. Shut up already. You're embarrassing yourself. You are a freaking broken record. If I cared enough to waste my time on you, I could go back and copy/paste half a dozen of your rebuttals to myself, blast, and others. They are identical, save the topic.

If it wasn't so sad, it would be funny how predictable and unimaginative your defensive responses are.

Until next time Mr. Cookie Cutter. :facepalm:

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, I gave you evidence in the form of another player who did it. How many times do you have to lose arguments with me before you realize you are outclassed? You are well on your way to number three.

I'm not saying Snell is suddenly going to be running a 4.3 40-yard dash. I'm saying that a player can get faster and gain agility by losing weight and otherwise improving his conditioning. Bell was a perfect example of a player who did that.