1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bench Blake, put in Boykin!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ivan, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Ivan

Ivan Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I am so tired of his blown coverages thinking he has a safety backing him up and missing tackles. I am sure Hawks watched the Chiefs win tape and saw Blake is the Achilles of our secondary. Boykin is one of the best CB’s in the game, his last season rating was 2nd only to Chris Harris Jr. And he like playing the Slot & Outside!!

And the "Shazier as Safety", I am really starting to think he would be much better than Allen and wouldn’t be getting injured as much. That guy is a ball hawk and can catch any receiver/runner on either side of the field. I think he could be just as good or even better than Kam Chencellor at the position. Plus Spence has been doing a great job at ILB.

And stop with the crazy trick plays, only do those as a last resort or if were winning by 20+ pts!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Two trick plays and two losses.... Hello coach T!!
    I said in another thread, I don't put all the blame on Blake. The whole secondary was lost last night. Every one was out of position and didn't have a clue. That's scheme (play calling)...and that's all on coach lakes

3. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    If this is how he feels, maybe Lake has some ownership of the problems with our secondary.

According to an article on Bleacher Report, "There is a guy the Steelers can look toward to help shore things up in the secondary, as cornerback Brandon Boykin was acquired in training camp but hasn't seen much of the field.

Defensive backs coach Carnell Lake shared why, per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler: "Somebody else would have to be playing badly right now for him to get off the sideline. I have faith and confidence that he can play. It's just that we're doing OK."

Doing OK! What are they seeing that doesn't translate to game day?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...st-improve-for-pittsburgh-to-make-playoff-run

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    In all fairness, that quote was from a couple weeks ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    True but they didn't drop to 30th in pass defense in the last week or two, it's been a season long issue. In any case, I think Blake has proved he should be replaced.

6. Ivan

Ivan Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I just re-watched film on Pats, Chiefs & Seahawks games, fast forwarding too big plays, just to be sure. Pretty much all big ones in Blakes coverage. Gronk walked right in to end zone on one because he didn't line up in front of him....

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm pretty sure we were 28th going in to the game yesterday.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    blake needs benched just for the effort he put forward or not on trying to tackle. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Griswald

Griswald Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Put in the Dominos delivery guy...couldn't be a whole lot worse.

10. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    100% agree. I've been Blake's biggest supporter around here, or at least among a small handful of people that didn't want the guys head. But after the lack of effort on that final 80-yard TD to Baldwin, he needs to be benched in favor of someone that will show some aggressiveness in trying to make a tackle. I can't defend him after that, especially when it's not the first time this year that he's done it.

WR's will get their due in the current state of the NFL. DB's need to be able to tackle. Whether due to injury or lack of effort, or both, Blake being on the field hurts the team right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My biggest problem with Blake is for a guy who they put on the field for his physicality he does not wrap up when he comes up to make a tackle. It is one thing if you come flying up to hit someone smaller than you but when hitting bigger players you need to finish the tackle. It does zero good to lay the wood to a guy who doesn't go down and you allow a positive gain, when if you just made the simple play you hold them to no gain. Right now our secondary can't seem to make the simple play in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Blake tackles like a school girl. Midway through the game I was yelling that.

13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    31 was also not tackling. Looks like he was slightly injured and constantly holding his wrist.

14. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Last year I was a fan of Blakes. I still like the kid. My thing is he is obviously injuryed. His tackling is currently subpar to last years.

There seems to be an issue with scheme as well. LeBeaus bend but don't break secondsry style is still be applied, but with guys who can't tackle or communicate well including passing off receivers, in play switching of coverage.

Replacing Blake with Boykin would help as far as player skill level as would replacing Allen with Golden ( sorry but shark is Not the answer) but if Lake & Butler doesn't improve their coaching and schemes then we can

15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Difference is that he wasn't starting last year. He came in in nickel and dime situations and did okay. His lack of overall talent has been over-exposed this season as a starter. He's not starter material, period, and the sooner that Tomlin gets over this notion that he is the better.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    what really hurts is blake will still not be good enough and cortez allen is still not good enough and if boykin plays much better than either (no doubt in my mind) MT will have burnt that bridge with his ego and we will be starting at square one again next year. still having to sign many players and having almost nobody with experience. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If Blake is not benched then I will think this Team is tanking for a draft pick ....He is horrible in coverage , he
    CB is for sure one position you can't afford to speculate with ...You can't throw out good money to a guy who never played the #1 or #2 spot ....Cortez got paid to play a spot he was never going to be able to play ...Last year I said this Team should draft CB,CB,Safety in the first 3 rounds and I was laughed at ...Looking at it now it seems that's exactly what we needed to do ...

This draft we probably need to go CB,CB,CB, and then Safety....Not in that exact order but 4 DB'S in 4 rounds...Or move up and get 2 good ones..

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Let's not give a pass to Mike Mitchell. He was in position to make plays as well. The secondary as a whole was horrible. But standout is Blake. Move Gay to the outside, bring Boykin in nickel, start Golden(which I believe won't happen) and let Blake watch from the sidelines until dime need to be used. Also get Grant some reps. What is there to lose? Even with Boykin in this unit needs a total overhaul. Money coming off the books might net them a real FA corner. Golson will be a part next year and get rid of the waste Cortez Allen. Draft a SS and another corner. The undoing starts at the back end of this defense.

• Like Like x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers should have kept McCain and let Blake go.

• Agree Agree x 1