1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, May 24, 2017.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Hopefully this is just him beginning his version of a Kiss style "farewell" tour. LOL!

3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Ben don't want to end his career on IR like Bradshaw. Like TB he is at that same age and 14 year mark:

Terry Bradshaw was bothered by elbow problems throughout the latter part of his career. He had surgery before the 1983 season and missed the first 14 games. When he
    finally did play on December 10, he threw a 10 yard touchdown pass to Calvin Sweeney against the New York Jets, but injured his elbow again and never threw another pass. He was 35 years old and had a very successful 14 year career. Also, would the Steelers have taken Dan Marino in the 1983 draft had they known that Bradshaw’s elbow was in worse shape than originally thought?

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    His reasoning is sound, not looking past the curgent season giving it his full attention and so forth but then again I'm jaded so there is that.

5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Really, what is Ben's frame of mind, is he in it to win it, or did he come back to avoid an 18 mill claw back from the team. Is he going to go full tilt or will he be timid when the pressure gets to him, as the season unfolds I will be looking for any change to his style of play, will he be the play maker of old or will he avoid any play that might result in contact, just wondering about his frame of mind????

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course its year to year. Fans don't want to admit it, but his football career is on borrowed time.

I can't imagine the aches and pains he has after the pounding he has taken in 13 NFL seasons.

Plus with concussion awareness nowadays.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And he has a family. He may want to spend time with them.

At this stage in the career, I think they all are year to year.

8. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben Kisslisberger

upload_2017-5-25_8-30-18.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! That's exactly how his facepaint would have to look. He already has the shoulderpads and maybe he could get some platform cleats. It would be epic.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Color those hypocycloids, and you've got it!

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    "If you're thinking about retiring, you've already retired."
    --Chuck Noll

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Hey it's hard enough to sit down with them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well no but yes. LOL! It's sorta like Ricky Bobby insisting that if you aint first you're last.

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    "Hypocloids" you just learned that word 5 minutes ago. LOL!

15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    One of those deals where we look forward to next season and worry about the other stuff later.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I think he is just being honest.

Everybody labels him a "drama queen", or whatever, and to be honest,

I didn`t take his comments last offseason seriously at all...

I thought he was too much of a competitor to go out with a loss like that,
    with the talent he has around him, to not give it another chance...

However, looking at it now, I seriously do believe this could be his last year, win the superbowl, or not.

He wins it, he has a chance to come back and win 4, like Terry, which he has always said he wanted to do, or better.

Lose it, or not get there, and he might feel like he has another chance to do it, given the talent around him.

But I also realized he is now 35 years old, and has taken quite a bit of a beating, notwithstanding last year`s 16 sacks as an all time low..

Brady may say and be sincere about playing past 40 years old, but that is highly unusual, and it takes a level of dedication to diet/training, that Ben has never been keen on...

The list of SuperBowl caliber qb`s past age 40 is pretty damn short...

He has just recently started paying serious attention to his nutrition/training, in the off season, probably within the last 3 to 5 years...

As much as the fan in me wants to see him play for us forever, realistically, I will be shocked if he is our qb 3 seasons from now, and surprised if he is in 2...

I have no doubt he is completely committed and still giving 110% effort this year.

I don`t question his determination to win another Superbowl or two, at all..

I also know he has enough money to set his family up for generations, and past injuries do take a toll as he gets older.

I will enjoy having him this year, and hope for another...

Anything beyond that would be a bonus, or a curse if he falls off like some others at that age...

At least he is giving the organization a heads up into his plans, instead of pounding smoke up their ass about playing till he is 40 years old+, if he ain`t!!!

GO STEELERS!!! STAIRWAY TO 7!!!

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I too believe if he is playing it will be 100% and not some half ass effort. If he makes the decision to play, it's all or nothing. He's not going to play just to set up his family or wealth etc. He's too much of a competitor. I think once he's in, he's in. The offseason is when the question marks come into play. I just had a gut feeling the family aspect was creeping in and his future at QB may be shortened. I think he wants to rid himself of the "Big Ben" persona and is trying to re-credit himself from past transgressions. Realized or not, to the public. I think the family image is foremost on his mind but he cannot let go of the athletic competitiveness and will definitely play in 2017 but 2018 is in doubt and will be a decision based solely on team performance in '17 and Brady's retirement plans. If the Steelers win the SB this year, he's retiring. If they lose and Brady retires, he may play one more year to not be in his shadow. He still has an ego. But it's definitely year to year, (with outside factors, weighing heavily imo).

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe if Ben fullfills his remaining contract, which I highly doubt
    I think the Steelers have paid him about 200 million dollars for his career.
    Not too bad Huh? LOL