1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben would not like a coach getting in his face

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mrn6, Apr 4, 2012.

1. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    In a recent interview with KDKA, (to paraphrase) Ben said he is not the type of person who likes being yelled at and having a coach in his face all the time.

We all know Todd Haley can be like this at times. This should be an interesting year.

please discuss.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't think anyone likes getting yelled at and if they did I would question their mental capacity. However there are different types of yelling in coaching. Yes there are guys that yell all the time for no apparent reason and then there are coaches that yell to get a players attention when they feel that they aren't getting through to a player. I think Haley is the later when it comes to yelling. The having a coach in his face all the time is the most telling part of this statement at least to me since I feel one of Ben's biggest flaws is his lack of accountability. Yes he takes blame on himself but I don't think he is really shouldering responsibility when he does that. He will say yeah my play was bad, but he doesn't go out and do the things needed to ensure that his play isn't bad the next game. He throws a deep ball into double coverage and it gets picked and he seems to Urkle it. "Did I do that?" So I think having someone in his face and challenging him on some of these bonehead moves will help him to improve his game.

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I just hope Ben gives Todd Haley a chance and sees that Haley LOVES the Steelers and has more of a history with them than Ben does when you really think about it. Maybe if Haley can get Ben to see that by playing his style of ball instead of BA's that he can be just as efficient and NOT put himself at such high risk so frequently. They always say that winning fixes everything so I think as long as we are winning it's really not gonna matter. As far as Ben's ego is concerned I really don't care if it takes a hit. If you are tough enough to play with a broke foot, nose, sprained ankle, and who knows what else you ought to be tough enough to take a loud voice. Sticks and stones Ben, Sticks and stones.

4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    No im gonna say a stRting qb has more history with the team then a FO guys son. Maybe not as a fan but when it comes to history i gotta give the nod to ben.

5. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    All Ben has to do is win and Haley won't be in his face.

6. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    While my initial thought was well, get over it Ben...

I watched an NFL Films special just last week about Bill Cowher, and he was talking about it's part of a coach's job description to learn how to motivate his guys, and learn how they tick. They showed some clips of him getting in Joey Porter's face and ripping him a new one. Then they showed a clip of Greg Lloyd following a bad play and you could see that Lloyd was obviously distraught on the bench, and Cowher went over, got on one knee, and said "Greg, you gotta let it go, we're going to need you for the next series, and you're going to make a big play for us." They showed a lot of BC talking to Kordell too who was probably too heady for his own good.

I like Haley's passion, and while I've played sports my whole life and have never had a problem with being chewed out, I recognize it's part of Todd's job to learn how to get the most out of Ben.

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :applaud:

Any coach who coaches every player the same way is a terrible coach. At least when it comes to getting the most out of his players, which is a large part of his job.

8. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Oh jeeez more of this....

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :blink: my head hurts. No, Todd Haley does not have more of a history with them then a man who helped lead them to 2 SB titles. I don't care who Todds daddy is.

10. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    THE FO office's guy's son is also the son of a D. Back who played his football in a Steeler uniform
    The son of a FO guy was also a ballboy for the Steelers

11. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Ben has a huge ego, as do most QB's and jocks. BA had nearly no ego and arguably an Identity problem. Therefore Big Ben was able to go about his business in his manner, his way with very little repurcussions. So much so that his head coach even allowed it.
    Todd Haley has a Huge Ego as well, maybe even more so than Big Ben. We can only hope that the competitiveness shines through both of their character flaws to bring Championships. The only way this is accomplished is through maturity and growing pains. I think they will be just fine once they understand the common goal.

12. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Anyone have a link to the KDKA interview?

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Just for those who think I am trying to diminish Ben's contribution to the legacy of the Steelers calm down. I just think that Todd Haley really does love the Black and Gold of yesterday and saw the committment of the Steel Curtain and the Hall of Famers and all they put in to being great and maybe he can get that across to Ben. But I'm honestly kind of doubtful considering that Ben didn't even want to take advice from TERRY BRADSHAW! And before you think I am just bashing Ben you should know that I really love him and even named my son Ben in his honor. So just breathe everyone... just breathe....

14. SteelerFanInKC

SteelerFanInKC Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I love Ben like most of you do but if what Ben said is true, well my opinion is WTF Ben, Grow the F-up! Gee I saw Brady getting blasted by his OC last year and starting QB's also get blasted from time to time. Seriously Ben, if you can't handle a little bit of yelling in your face (and probably holding onto the ball or lack of film study) would warrant it, then just leave. I don't want to see it!

15. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yes brady got blasted and him and the oc had to be separated no thanks i dont want to see our qb and oc fighting on the sidelines.

16. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Who was the player that Paul Brown used to chew out when he really wanted to chew out Jim Brown? He'd let Jim see him do this but never directed his anger right at Brown. That other player knew what was going on and went along with it. All three of them did. Haley could learn from this.

17. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    I hope Haley doesn't learn from that. If you have something to say about someone, say it to them.

18. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm pretty sure Ben did ok under Cowher. Cowher was an "in your face" coach. Like others said, if he does his job, there's no issues.

19. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I think some of you may be looking at this the wrong way. Sometimes diversity is a good thing. Whatever approach these two take with each other might be the very thing each of them needs to bring the best out of themselves. Of course, I could be wrong but this team always seems to do its best in adversity and Ben, specifically. This is how it works in my house...I am the lovable, fun, handsome, fascinating, intellectual one in our house and my wife is the bit...she is the opposite but together we make...nevermind, bad example. (I'm kidding by the way)

20. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    "I hope Haley doesn't learn from that. If you have something to say about someone, say it to them."

That's a somewhat naive position to take. Coach Brown knew his people extremely well. What he did with Jim Brown was exactly the right thing to do, given Jim's gargantuan ego. And the tactic worked spectacularly.

21. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011

Jims ego and the aledged throwing a chick off a balcony!!

22. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Plus with Cowher you get the Cowher Shower too. Bring your own towel :kemo:

23. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Anyone ever see some coach in Marsha Brandys face or Mannings face or even Drew Brees?

24. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes.

25. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes
    Read a few posts up