1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben wants the No Huddle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BurgherBoy7, Oct 19, 2011.

1. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Just read this article on the steelers website: http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 7a217bc216

It says Ben has been wanting to run the no huddle and wouldnt mind running it on the road in Arizona. So far this season ive been wondering why we havent ran the no huddle besides in the 2 minute drill. I myself hope Arians listens to Ben and atleast gives it a whirl this week, we seem to have had success running it before, and Ben is obviously comfortable with it, Cant hurt right?

2. kwebste6

kwebste6 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I love when we run the no huddle, becuase this gives ben the option to call plays... so Arians doesnt get the chance to make a stupid play call. Most of the time when i see our team run the no huddle it works better than having to go to the huddle.
    Although the last significant no huddle we ran that i can remember was the last drive of the superbowl :frustrated:
    Still trying to forget about that game!

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    At this point I am less concerned with what Ben wants as opposed to what he should be getting. Going into the Pats game in two weeks they need to have a game plan in place that has two goals on the offensive side of the ball. The first is to score touchdowns on each and every possession. No more of this well we have a lead lets try some 5 WR sets and some ill conceived HB toss to our power guy instead of the speed guy.The second is that they must chew up as much time as possible while doing this. Best way to beat Brady is make him sit on the sideline and pout. If he can't get back on the field he can't nickel and dime the defense to death. On defense they have to hit him and hit him often. If Ziggy Hood wants to be the man he has to shed his blocks and get in Brady's face They need pressure from the middle as well as the edge to shake Brady up.

So for the Cards this weekend use them as a drawing board to game plan for the Pats. The only thing going no huddle does is tire out the Oline and give the other team more time to answer. getting sucked into a scoring race like the SB will not help this team.

4. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm all for anything that takes away control of the offense from Bruce.

5. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    The no huddle doesn`t necessarily have to be a "fast-paced" offense, that will wear out the O-line(along with the D.) ;-)
    I also don`t agree with a lot of other posters, who feel that if Ben gets to call the plays, he will call for a majority of passes, and deep balls.
    It is hard to say, because, for as much lip-service as they give it,
    The only time they seem to go to it, is when they are down, and need "a spark".
    So, the situation, dictates a sense of urgency, and throwing the ball.
    I believe, if they did it as more of a standard part of their offense, Ben would have no problem mixing the run in equally, with the pass.
    I have faith in him, to know what it takes to help his team win.
    He seems to do that pretty well, so far...
    Although I do miss his scrambles to pick up a first down, ever since his bike wreck.
    I feel that could be a bigger part of his game, not so much now, or last year, with the sprained foot, but before that..
    I remember him taking off, when he had to, and getting the first down, a lot more than he has the last few years.
    At any rate. I would trust him to pick better plays than Arians, but that`s just me... ;)

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I could be wrong. I'm sure someone will have the statistics. But it seems to me that we've been generally more successful while running the no-huddle (not to be confused with hurry up). Of course, that could just be selective memory.

7. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    And kwebste6...
    I love yer "signature"...
    Classic Tomlin!
    Shame it turned into the "trainwreck", that it did. :evil:
    Hopefully we will right that wrong when they come to our house! :praying:

8. BurgherBoy7

Oct 16, 2011
    "I went to (Arians) the last game (against the Jaguars) at the eight minute mark after we went a couple of three and outs to try to change up the tempo and the pace. We usually go to it when things aren’t clicking on offense.”- Ben Roethlisberger

I'm always 50/50 on Arians, theres days where he looks like he knows what he's doing (like against the titans) and days where he looks like he's out in left field chasing butterflies. But what i got out of this article is the quote I have above. Ben realized we needed to change things up last Sunday when we came out in the second half and went completely flat on offense. Ben saw what we all as fans had seen, that the offense wasn't getting anywhere in the second half on the same gameplan we had during the 1st half. The Jags defense adjusted, Ben missed throws, etc. I also understand that Arians is the O.C. and he over rules Ben on most occasions, but if your starting QB thinks the offense should change it up and try to get things going, when obviously what was working is not working any more, you would think B.A. would listen and maybe try it on a series. I think it was just kind of sad that Ben petitioned to get the offense moving in a better direction in the second half, but his cries just fell on deaf ears.

9. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Arians, as the OC, should be the one realizing these things and telling Ben to go no huddle, not the other way around. Arians is a clown.

10. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It pains me to say this, but BA was right on this one. When you are winning against a team that can not score, you don't go no huddle. That may be the only time I ever agree with BA. I do think going forward we should use no huddle more. What would it hurt to do it once a half? This O is frustrating to watch. So much potential, we have the last 2 AFC Offensive players of the week but we are 22nd in scoring. If we ever find a way to achieve our potential on O we would be unstoppable.

11. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't see why no huddle, because we're winning is a bad thing? As was mentioned above, no huddle doesn't have to mean fast paced. At least Clueless Arians isn't calling the plays anymore.

12. BurgherBoy7

Oct 16, 2011
    Very true,the no huddle offense is not the same as a hurry up situation....It doesnt have to be a fast paced offense, it just allows Ben to call the plays as to what he is seeing in the opponents defense. And a plus side to the no huddle might be that we dont snap the ball with just 1 second left on the play clock and the defense cant jump the snap count as easy as they have been the last few games.

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The problem with the no-huddle no hurry up approach or the muddle huddle is that the whole point of not huddling up is so that the defense can't make substitutions and gives the offense a better shot at gaining a mismatch. By not huddling but taking your time to snap the ball or calling an audible is that while the offense is milling about the other teams can get bodies out to match up to what players they Steelers have on the field. It serves no real purpose unless you are trying to quicken the pace and get those mismatches, if you aren't going for that you might as well just huddle up. The only advantage I can see is that Ben doesn't have time to out think himself and has to make the quick throw instead of thinking about it and deciding not to trust his receiver to make a play, throw in a pump fake, run to the left and then overthrow Wallace, Sanders or Brown deep.

14. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    We should run no-huddle for a portion of every single game for the sole purpose of practice. Even if it's just for one series, we should run it.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Presumably BA would do this at exactly the same time every single game, just so opponents know what we're going to do...

I think one of the reasons that no-huddle has worked in the past, apart from the obvious change of pace, is that a number of our players are good at improvising on plays. But I wonder if mounting injuries are getting to be a problem for that kind of play - e.g. Ben less agile on his foot, o-line less solid as a unit owing to the constant shuffling, etc.

16. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    LOL, I have to agree

17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I just started to pay more attention to the clock at the time of snap in the last game against the Jags and there was few times when the clock was down to one. Most were around 3, 4 and 5 seconds on the clock. Personally I think its best to mix it up and sometimes Ben probably lets it go down to almost the last second because it takes him that long to read the defense. Ben is not the best at reading what the defense is going to do.

Bman

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    [quote="Busman]

I just started to pay more attention to the clock at the time of snap in the last game against the Jags and there was few times when the clock was down to one. Most were around 3, 4 and 5 seconds on the clock. Personally I think its best to mix it up and sometimes Ben probably lets it go down to almost the last second because it takes him that long to read the defense. Ben is not the best at reading what the defense is going to do.

Bman[/quote]

Hasn't he always done this? I think it's one of Ben's "things" - similar to the pointless pump fake.

19. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I just read on either the Trib or Post that BA said with all of the injuries to the offensive line, the Steelers are not in the position to run the no huddle right now. He said when the offensive line gets healthier, they will go with it more often.

Hines was asked what his position was and he basically said, that was between Ben and BA. His job is just to make plays when the ball is thrown to him.