1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben vs Eli ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by rocketdog, Nov 15, 2017.

1. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Just curious what you guys think about Eli Manning compared to Ben. It seems over the last couple of years that sport casters and talking heads have always put Ben at a higher level than Eli and the perception is Ben a lot better than Eli. Anyone else have this same perception? Do you think Ben is or has been better than Eli over the years? Eli has more career touchdown passes, both have two SB wins but Eli has two SB MVP awards. Eli is also has played in over two hundred straight games, very durable. Don't know how many games Ben has missed in his career. Both Ben and Eli have 30 come from behind wins.
    Ben does have more career wins. They seem about tied to me. What do you think?

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    While their success is very similar their styles are Apples and Oranges.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Eli's bad seasons are lower and more frequent than BB, same amount of rings. I don't think EM could have won rings with the teams BB did. If they retire the same year, I think BB might get in the Hall sooner, if that means anything. Then again, some media folk never got over BB's transgressions of being a pig. EM has never so much had a ticket for jaywalking.

4. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben has been slightly better than Manning over the years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Eli never had the pleasure Ben did of getting murdered behind problematic O lines (partially Ben's fault I know) Eli hasn't had the problems they've had with their D for the most part. As far as being a pure QB goes I'm sure Eli is more textbook approved... But he wouldn't last or be near as successful as Ben if he were here during some of those years. Just my opinion... Anyhow, it's weird hearing the Ben Eli Rivers talk just as recent as today.... Some figure heads saying that Ben has more left than the 2 taken before him. Hope they're right and am glad we got him more so than the other 2 back in the day.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly but the other day I was thinking how truly bad Ben's year has been up to this point.....it didn't really hit me until I saw Ben has the same amount of TDs and more INTs and Eli is playing behind no O line,no RB basically no WRs and a piss poor D to help out with turnovers and short fields.....

7. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Yeah, time to put Haley in the booth? Hahahahahaha

Really is weird...

Eli has a bad team... Ben has a good team mired in drama. From pre season to today...the hits keep a comin! Sure the Giants have had drama but nothing like here. They're a bad team with a diva, injuries and a suspect coach. We have a good team that can't seem to invite a win without the added BS.

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Eli is my favorite Manning because he beat Brady TWICE in the SuperBowl. I'd rather have Big Ben except when we play the cheatriots.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'd take Ben, but always thought Rivers was the best pure QB of the group even with that non-typical delivery. His o-line through the years has been horrendous and other than Gates and LT, he hasn't had the best surrounding cast.

I'd go Ben then Rivers then Eli. But if the draft fell a different way and we got Rivers instead of Ben, I'd probably have Rivers over Ben, if that makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Gates and LT is pretty dam good help in my opinion

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think if they redraft no way Ben makes it to 11

Probably would have been

Steven Jackson #1
    Big Ben #2
    Eli #3
    Cry me a Rivers #4

12. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Not so much without a decent line and horrendous management. Rivers should've bolted years ago, no pun intended

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd rather have Ben. As much as he's not had the greatest season this year, he's been good for the Steelers, and helped bring back some of the glory from the Bradshaw/Stallworth/Harris era by bringing two more SB wins home. Eli has been good, but he's been more consistently bad when he's not good than Ben has.

14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'd rather have Ben any day, but Eli Manning did the human race a huge favor by beating the Patriots twice in the Super Bowl. For that, he gets a lot of respect from me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Imagine Eli with the Steeler Offense.

16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'll give Manning one thing that he can do better than Big Ben, and that is beat the Patriots and Tom Brady.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    In regard to overall effectiveness, I've always viewed Ben and Eli as similar QBs. Ben has always been the play extender. Eli goes on ridiculous hot streaks with his team. Both end up defying the odds.

I believe what separates those two from Rivers is drive, will-to-win and an org that knows how to keep talent on the roster. I believe Rivers would have rings if he had gone to the team of an org that handles adversity better than the Chargers.

18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    They aren't the same really. Ben is/was more of a sandlot type of guy while Eli is/was a pure pocket passer. Eli turned the ball over at a much higher clip, but he has some hot streaks where he's the best QB in the league for a stretch of time.

Eli has "better" SB victories simply because they beat the pats twice (the undefeated Pats team one year), and was the MVP of both games... but really that doesn't matter as much. They were both excellent players that were just half a tier below Manning, Brees, and Brady for their career. I'd give my preference to Ben simply because of style and less prone to the turnover. He also was more consistent over his career. Idk tho. Both will be HoF in my opinion. Eli is more on the bubble than ben, but I think they both get in

19. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    To me, Ben is way better. It may just seem this way, but I feel like Eli always leads the league in interceptions by year's end. And Ben has at least 40 game winning drives. There were a few years there (2008 in particular) where Ben was driving for the winning score 7-8 times a year. He was clutch as hell before 2011 or so.

20. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Ben was probably the best fit for the Steelers when he was drafted. I can't imagine Eli or Rivers taking the punishment that Ben did in his early career thanks to the awful O-line. I'm fairly sure that if not for that beating in his early days (and stopping a car with his face), he wouldn't have even mentioned retirement in the off-season.
    Today though, I'd think Rivers is probably a better fit for this current roster.