1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben the Undisputed Leader of this Team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Apologies if I have a typo, please let me know where to clarify.

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm not debating how long it will take to find another franchise QB, I can't predict the future. I'm saying the Steelers missed opportunities to get a franchise QB. I've given 3 proven examples, it doesn't matter if it was over a 50 year span, that's not part of the debate. I don't know why that's so hard to understand.

Then why did you bring it up?
    I was responding to your post: "Montana, he played for 2 more seasons and cost a 1st rd pick."

Either way, Montana was a franchise QB who the Steelers could have acquired, he fits the criteria.

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    My point was that some revered coaches have went a decade without winning a SB with teams stacked with talent. Tomlin has got us there twice, something I can give him credit & thanks for.

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I can as well but his point was there are quite a few HCs that won SBs that aren't considered that great either. That's all I'm saying.

5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Is there ever going to be a time when we can move past the rape stuff? Both allegations were questionable at best, and Ben was never charged in either case. Ben's a married guy now with kids. Ben isn't perfect, but he gets sh!t on way more than he deserves. Bringing up the rape stuff to discredit Ben is pretty weak IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Many players on the roster also had a problem with what Colbert said according to reports :shrug:

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah according to reporters like Aditi of NFLNetwork with unnamed players, I don't care this team will go as far as Ben takes them.

8. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So why havent we won a sb since the team has been under his control and leadership

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Not enough help from the defense, but Ben gives them the best chance to win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He does but we're really about to find out how far he can carry us now that we dont have either an elite defense with a very good offense or a transcendent talent filled offense with a average defense.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Well we will see how it better we can get after the draft and free agency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So you just wanted to make some random captain obvious observation when people were talking about the difficulties of finding a franchise QB in the 19 years between TB and Ben? They didn't make the right moves? In that case I'll just go back to my earlier post that the years the Steelers didn't win a SB they didn't make the right moves.

Because spending a first rd pick on a 36 year old QB isn't an obvious move for them to make. They probably couldn't even pull that off financially. Then you want to use a hypothetical if they won a SB to prove your point. Fail on both points. Oh, wait, fail on 3 points, he doesn't fit the criteria of franchise QB. You know we aren't talking about a 2 year rental.

What really happened here is you made a poor observation, then instead of just admitting that you didn't realize when it was pointed out by myself and others that it was slim pickings in those 19 years you doubled down on that poor observation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Not even sure where to start. I can't understand your incoherent ramblings.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    If you reread the post that I initially responded to, you'll see that you're off base with this comment.

That's called you switching the topic (as I already pointed out), the analogy doesn't work anyway.

You'll have to link me to the 'Franchise quarterback debate rule book', so I know the guidelines.

Wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You've accused me (and others) of that before, calling it a 'square peg in a round hole'. Sorry, but my mind doesn't work that way. I've proven more than once on this site that when I'm wrong, I'll admit it. I did it with you at least once already, when I was anti-Vance Mcdonald. There was another time too, with you specifically, I can't remember the topic. I'm not petty. Being wrong and corrected is learning (to me), and I love to learn.

The Steelers had opportunities to acquire a franchise QB after TB and before BR. That's proven fact, examples that can't be refuted have been sited. Anything beyond that is another topic (which is fine) but it doesn't change that fact.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I never said you can’t admit when you are wrong, I said you made a poor observation and doubled down on it.

Yes, Steelers missed on a few QBs in 19 years, none more notably than Marino. Saying that refutes nothing that anyone else was talking about, which was the difficulty of finding a QB.

Montana wasn’t one of them since again, the debate everyone else was having was missing out on QB’s that could of have led the franchise for 10-15 years. You don’t need a rule book to figure out Montana didn’t fit that criteria. He was a 2 year rental. It’s also not a move you can claim they could have made unlike missing on a draft pick.

Anyway, forgot the topic of this thread is Ben is a leader. :hijacked:

16. TxSteelFan

TxSteelFan Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2018
  17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I stand by my original statement.
    Take Montana off the list, I can come up with other examples. I think Randall Cunningham was a 2nd rd pick, Boomer Esiason. There were opportunities.

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If we valued the QB position at the time I'm pretty sure we could of or would of made a move to try and get one of the better guys available. Cowher didn't even want Ben. That tells you the mindset right there. Wherever there's a need there opportunity. Problem is they didn't recognize the need .

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I agree with that.
    To say the Steelers spent 19 years searching for a 'franchise QB' and never missed an opportunity in that time isn't the case. The conversation could have ended at Marino.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Defensively its definitely some great pieces to be had in the off season that would be TREMENDOUS upgrades. It's nothing out there offensively that will be ground breaking though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Unfortunately, that was what I was saying this time last year.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Well I think changes are coming defensively. If they stand pat again and try to go through the draft we are in for a long season. Is seriously would Rehaul the entire defense except for watt, haden, and cam(though not a big fan of him). Everyone else can go tbh.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    gonna take a couple of seasons lol

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    How are you paying for all these great new players. And what store shelf are you getting them off of? I don’t think it’s quite that easy.

• Like Like x 1
  25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I'd go get cj mosley and landon collins. You can fill in the rest with above average players but with the way our front office works our best bet is to go to the draft. I dont see any big free agents coming here we dont pay enough.