1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben the Undisputed Leader of this Team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Feb 20, 2019.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Well said.
    We're doomed.;+)

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    My original post: "It's not like franchise QB's weren't available to the Steelers in that 19 year search, the problem was they didn't make the right moves to get one."
    I'm holding feet to the coals with that comment? Where did I say there were 'a whole lot of opportunities'?
    Marino had a 17 year career, which would have filled that 19 year void quite nicely, no?
    Drew Brees is 18 years in and still going strong.
    My point is: It only takes one.
    The Steelers had the opportunity to get that one, twice (at least).

If Montana had snuck in for a couple seasons and won us a super bowl (very possible, O'donnell lost us one), he wouldn't have been worth a first rd pick?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well either way we will be in that predicament in 2-3 years anyway and considering its been 11 seasons and counting with Ben and certainly nowhere near being a favorite to win one,we will have to do something. Like I pointed out teams are winning SBs without franchise QBs. The problem is they are relying on some timely defense and above average strategic coaching to make a run at it. Not exactly our strengths right now.That's where our problem will lie when Ben is gone. He could make up for some deficiencies in the coaching but it hasn't been enough. The proof is already 11 years and counting. When Ben goes the coaching staff should go with him. If not sooner....

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Cowher thought he didn't need a stud at QB. Run, control the clock, defense was his philosophy. That plays into this discussion. Tomlin is toast without one imo. Agree with thesteeldeal that Tomlin moves on to his life's work when Ben retires.

5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Very selective list. You forgot Shula, Madden, Landry, Stram, Halas, Noll, etc.

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yep I got your point the first time you stated it.

And my point is these types of QBs aren't common place so you appreciate the one's when you get them. It also reiterates how often 1st round picks do not become what they thought they would, or else they would not have been picked in the first round.

It's easy to look at hindsight, but more than less projected as starting QBs did not become starting QBs. 4 on that list came to the Steelers to serve as backups. Which is the point I've been making.

7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yep, which is why Plaxico Burress was picked in place of Chad Pennington. Very poor decision in hindsight seeing Kordell lost his starting job the following year to a complete unknown at QB. Maddox came on board in 2001. << a former first round picked who eventually devolved to play for the Canadian league before coming back to the NFL to play for the Steelers

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    His point I believe was that some pretty so so coaches have won SBs as well

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Not sure if it's relevant to this discussion but a lot of players especially QBs can fall through the cracks based on their fit and the coaching they receive on said teams. Brees might be the biggest example of that. My point is that there most likely has been plenty of QBs who didn't pan out due to circumstances,rather than talent. If we had more of a emphasis on the QB position back in the day some of those guys that never made it possibly could have in our system and with the way some of those teams were constructed(defense and running). O'donell took us there and Kordell got us to the doorstep. So anything is possible. Just like now with Foles and Goff two guys that were basically considered bums at one point until they found the right situation .

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    :thumbs_up:

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Burress was also a very poor decision, hindsight or otherwise. Urlacher was the pick.

Maddox was a good pickup, forgot about him being a first round pick. I enjoyed watching him win the XFL title. (can't remember what year)

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They drafted Mason Rudolph to be that next guy.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Colbert disagrees with you, he said Ben is the unquestioned leader of the team.

14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Exactly the reason for my comments. The future is pretty damn dismal if you think Rudolph is a suitable replacement for BR.

Rudolph... now that's some funny stuff.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He might not be the next Ben, but with him sitting and learning he could turn out to be their franchise QB of the future.

16. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Or he could be Landry Jones 2.0, Dennis Dixon 2.0, Josh Dobbs 2.0, Omar Jacobs 2.0, Brian St. Pierre 2.0, Tee Martin 2.0, Jim Miller 2.0, Bubby Brister 2.0, Mark Malone 2.0... you get the idea. More than likely, Rudolph is nothing more than a middle of the road backup. Time will tell.

17. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    This post will look like a thread, with reason being I don't want to get yelled at.
    I say sorry now.

Do we have a Ben Roethlisberger problem?

I have not read any of the statements previous to this post. Not only have i not read them because, like the rest of you, mine is the best and most realized but also because I have been around enough (lurking at times) to have a beat on this.

Now that I have offended enough for comment, we have a big problem, a big Ben problem.

5 ints is not the fault of anyone buy Ben.
    2 settled rape allegations is the fault of Ben.

If there is fracture on this team we are seeing it because of Ben Roethlisberger.
    I repeat, our 2 time winning QB is the fault for us not being a team.

While I can not give game/minute number of film I can say that 2 seasons ago I saw Ben come to the sidelines during a time out. This happening was most likely later in the season.

Ben walks over, speaks with Tonkin, Randy fitchner and that's it in the circle of timeout conversation. Todd Haley is left looking like this guy.

This past year I saw the same thing but with Mike Tomlin. I will not shy away from my Tomlin support, however Ben does not like him.

I say that as a hot take but I think AB isn't wrong. Also, AB isn't right, in general. We can't make sweeping claims.

All I will say, an insecure man is the steelers QB. So with lack of true nuggets, he slowly gets to get what he wants. I reference monetary settlements for proof.

He feels like he didn't win those SB. This is inaccurate. Ben is a 2 time 3 trip QB but he feels like he is not considered the best until he is called such.
    Ben is big in stature only.

This is my death note time to get flamed!!!!! Woohoo

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I stopped reading at the rape allegation BS. Clearly a BR hater with an agenda.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    Point 1 made. Thank you

Def not a Ben hater.

Sorry my edit didn't record.
    What I said was, I feel like your insight was lit via tiki torch.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  20. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    You definitely have a f#cked up way of being a Ben supporter then. Bizarro world.

21. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    What am I supporting, QB or a person, when related to your world?

I'm very happy he is the steelers QB. I am suggesting he has an insecurity problem. Suppose I should clear that up for you?

22. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Whatever. Rationalize your hatred for the guy however makes you feel better about yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why do you keep mentioning Marino as if I am making the argument that it wasn't a blunder when in fact I have already said so? Thats twice you've done that.

Yes, I know what your original post said, still doesn't make it a valid point. 3 shots at a franchise QB in 19 years doesn't refute that it could be another long drought until they find one. I don't think it will take that long but it's not because of what you are trying to sell.

Whether Montana was or wasn't worth a first rd pick has nothing to do with what our debate is about.

24. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    Here since you don't want to talk about personality, this is from above.

Sorry my edit didn't record.
    What I said was, I feel like your insight was lit via tiki torch.

Moving on, ultimately the NFL is a job and while I don't need to like my team, I need to work with them.

But fu3k me if it's not easier for me to have what I want.

25. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Keep hitting that bong, my man.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1