1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben the Undisputed Leader of this Team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben, Bell, Brown, Colbert, and Tomlin all need to check themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't pay attention to guys like Stephen a Smith, he gets paid to argue (if I'm remembering his show correctly).

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Who the F beat out Farve in Atlanta? I can't remember.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You may not like it, but Ben, Pouncey, and Heyward are the leaders of the team.

5. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Chris Miller? I think anyhow. Glanville had big issues with Favre and didn't want to draft him if I remember correctly.

6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Exactly... Arguably the worst first rd'er ever taken for the black and gold. Linebacker/DE go figure.

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Billy Joe Hobert

Edit: Sorry it was Tolliver not Hobert. Had my Billy's mixed up.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My two cents on all this is that yes Ben talks a great game when it comes to leadership and what he did for the Bus was legend making. Yes he checks all the boxes when it comes to saying the things a leader should. He accepts responsibility for his mistakes, says he has to be better which is great but when the camera's aren't rolling and the recorders are off he doesn't back that talk up. When he says I can't throw 5 interceptions and expect to sin the game and then takes his "Ben " day. He plays like crap and owns it in the media but instead of being the first guy in the film room Monday at 6 am, it's business as usual maybe we will work on those plays maybe we won't. Where are the stories about Ben gathering up the guys and saying I want to run these plays again until I'm sure we are clicking? See that's the thing with the gunslingers, they are heroic leaders that can pull victory from defeat time and time again but they aren't big on putting in that work that could make them great.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Who's discrediting not picking Marino, I pointed it out.

And like I said, there wasn't a lot to choose from as you can see from the list mcam provided. You make it sound like they could have dialed one up any time they wanted too.

10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    No I don't.

11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Someone we regretted drafting in place of Brett Farve :lolol:

"
    Richardson was the first round draft choice (fifteenth pick overall) of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 1991 NFL Draft.[6] Based on a conversation with the former Steelers director of scouting, Max McCartney, with three picks remaining before the Steelers picked at number 15, they had three players targeted that they would be willing to select: Tennessee Volunteers wide receiver Alvin Harper, Colorado Buffaloes wide receiver Mike Pritchard and Arizona State Sun Devils running back Leonard Russell. When those three players were all selected with the three immediately preceding picks (by the Dallas Cowboys, Atlanta Falcons and New England Patriots, respectively),[6] the Pittsburgh draft managers were unprepared and were forced to make a selection before their fifteen-minute time limit expired, and they settled on Richardson.

Richardson played only five games with the Steelers in 1991, registering two tackles, plus another on special teams.[7][8] Part of the problem was that the Steelers played a 3-4 defense, and Richardson didn't have the build to play defensive end in that scheme. The Steelers made him an inside linebacker, and he didn't make the adjustment very well. Following the 1991 season, long-time head coach Chuck Noll retired and was replaced by Bill Cowher, who tried to switch Richardson to outside linebacker (his position for the first three years of his collegiate career). When that didn't work, Cowher asked player development director Tom Donahoe if it was too soon to cut him.[8] When Donahoe said he should keep the top forty-seven players regardless of their draft history, Richardson was traded to the Washington Redskins for a seventh-round draft pick; if a trade had not been possible, Richardson would have simply been waived. After four uneventful games with the Redskins, he was released and signed with the New York Jets. At the end of the 1992 season, after seven games with the Jets, Richardson's short NFL career was over"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huey_Richardson

oohhh ouch yep missed on that one.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    And yes the ultimate Steeler draft woe of all time that infamously has gone down as the worst decision ever would be passing on Dan Marino.

There was no answer for QB in the 80s beyond Terry Bradshaw.

I could find some Mark Malone highlights if anyone needs a reminder :applaud: I was born in the early 80s so thankfully I didn't suffer much through that era.

13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Here's more on Huey Richardson. The guy lit it up in college with 26.5 sacks and 50.5 tackles for losses.

But it could have been this

lmao

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :applaud::applaud::applaud:

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup and I bet he has regretted it ever since.

Oh ok. Might as well say they didn’t make the moves to win a championship each year they fell short.

16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Nice misdirection attempt.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Having the title of leader does not make you a leader.

18. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Brian Billick has a Super Bowl too. George Seifert has two. Gary Kubiak who had 40 heart attacks in his coaching career has a Super Bowl too. Mike Tomlin sucks. It's 2019. Steelers haven't won a Super Bowl in 10 years. They haven't won **** even with a hall of fame QB and talent up the ying yang.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Actually it does. Now you might not be good at it.

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

I just want to point out from this list that prior 1st/2nd round picks Tommy Maddox, Charlie Batch, Byron Leftwich, and even Mike Vick have all worn a Steelers uniform via Free Agency acquisition.

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    True, but they were all signed as back ups.
    Dan Marino, Joe Montana ('93), Chad Pennington and Drew Brees are 4 QB's that the Steelers could have had without making a move, plus others had they made a move. They had opportunities, which was my original point.

23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I said 'opportunities', meaning more than one, like 2. I didn't say several, or many. Then I pointed out 4.

24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    So what I'm taking away from the discussion at this point is:

1) the 20 year drought in having a great QB between TB and BR was partly due to poor decisions by the FO but probably the bigger reason is the lack of quality options available.

2) there may be more quality QB options coming out of college these days who can turn into franchise QBs because of the college and NFL being more similar than 20+ years ago.

3) opportunities to get a true franchise QB who is in his prime from another team are few and far between. Which means that Steelers most likely need to draft Ben's replacement. This means we need to draft higher. Either by tanking or trade up in the draft.

I gotta tell you guys that this is not a real confidence builder that we arent going to experience another extended period without a stud marquee QB post BR. First off, the FO has whiffed miserably on drafting QBs outside of 2 in the past 50 years. So, that doesnt instill confidence in their ability to judge talent at that position. Secondly, the talent level coming out of college is relative. We arent any more likely today to draft that guy than we were 20+ years ago. There are just as many guys today who enter the league with all kinds of hype and never achieve what the teams who drafted them expected. Just look at the results - no different than in the past 40 years with the exception of a couple of special years like 1983 and 2004. And lastly, unless we trade up to get a top 10 pick, our chances to get Ben's replacement go down. The best we'll draft is mid of the pack.

I'm just saying, I wouldn't be shocked if we dont see another franchise QB the likes of TB or BR for a long time.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Right, in 19 years so what exactly is your point? Because the point everyone is trying to make to you is there wasn't a whole lot of opportunities to hold the Steelers feet to the coals for not bringing in a franchise QB during that time.

And you don't get to use Montana, he played for 2 more seasons and cost a 1st rd pick. It was hardly a slam dunk move to get him and if they did, we are talking about franchise QB's that led the team for years.