1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben the Undisputed Leader of this Team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Feb 20, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not a Ben hater I am simply pointing out what I don't like about the way he does things. That has nothing to do with how he plays on the field or the fact that a franchise QB is one of the hardest things to get in all of sports. Just because I am saying I don't like what Ben is saying or doing don't mean I think he is a bad QB. Our season will go as Ben goes, but that don't mean I can't come to a message board and talk about the good and bad of a player........

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't remember the exact situation now, but I wanted Warren Moon in the worse way after his time with the Vikings. Randall Cunningham too.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Definitely getting on my nerves. This whole regime needs to be taught how to speak in public. During his tip toeing through the tulips with Ben comments he referred to the other 52 players as kids. Seriously? that’s how you chose to describe his teammates. Yeah AV is a “kid”. I don’t even have to go into how much he is no “kid” . At the very best, terrible choice of words. No wonder he has no problem with what Ben does. Are they that clueless as to knowing the right things to say about people. I understand Colbert that your job depends on Ben but get your head out of your ass and your nose out of Bens.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    They could have taken Tom Brady in 6 different rounds. Tee Martin worked out ok though!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Nah just when it's blatantly ignorant. Anyone that wanted to could dig up old press conferences to prove the point, but if they did that they wouldn't be confused to begin with.

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yes the same Jaguars game with two balls forced to AB no doubt to appease his temper tandrums, and Ben still came back and won the game despite key players being at odds with him.

Imagine what he can do when he can spread the ball around without feeling forced to throw it to one receiver.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    But this is nothing new from Ben. He is a gunslinger, unloads the pistol without regret. Always playing for the win, he is a god on the football field. lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The reality is, when Ben was selected with the 11 overall pick or whatever a beam of shining light shown down on the Steelers organization. And Ben did not disappoint.

A whooooooollllllee lot of players selected even higher than him at QB have not done what he can do. Maybe a little appreciation is in order.

And I could list a NUMBER of QBs.

David Carr, Matt Leinhart, Jamar Russell, could go on and on. Even Eli Manning and Philip Rivers who were drafted with him have not accomplished what Ben has.

We're waiting for your list of QBs the Steelers past up throughout the 90s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    True. He'll throw it up for the receiver to make a play.

Thankfully with Brown gone, he won't feel pressured to throw it into double coverage. I'm optimistic regarding the Steelers pass offense without Brown.

10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I could be wrong, but seems like both of those guys were on the downhill side of their careers when they became free agents.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You should only throw it up if you have the receivers to make the play. I’m not sure we have had that for a long time.

Bradshaw once said he learned three things while playing football. One of them was “ If you throw the ball to John Stallworth, it will not be intercepted”.

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The funny thing about franchise QB's is you don't need a list of them, you only need one. Like Marino, for example. He could have been drafted the year TB retired (I think) and lasted through the 90's.

You can't say when Ben is done the dark ages return to Pittsburgh, because you don't know. No one knows.

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    They were, I just loved watching them play. Moon did have one good season in Seattle.

14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    lol every team passed on Joe Montana for up to 3 rounds. He doesn't count. Let's throw in Tom Brady while we're at it.

15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Montana was drafted in '93?

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think he's talking about free agency

17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Here's the list

Jeff George Pick 1
    Andre Ware Pick 6

Steelers picked up Eric Green at TE who was a pimp

Dan McGwire pick 16
    Todd Marinovich (24)

Steelers picked Huey Richardson at 15 <<< could have picked up Brett Farve

David Klingler (6)
    Tommy Maddox (25) >> drafted by Broncos
    Darryl Williams (28)

Drew Bledsoe (1)
    Rick Mirer (2)
    Mark Brunell was a 5th round pick this year

Health Shuler (3)
    Trent Dilfer (6)
    Kurt Warner <<<< UNDRAFTED

Steve McNair (3)
    Kerry Collins (5)
    KORDELL STEWART <<< 2ROUND 60 OVR PICK STEELERS
    Stoney Case 3rd rd
    Eric Zeier 3rd rd

Tony Banks << 1st QB taken in 2nd rd 42 ovr

Jim Druckenmiller (26)
    Jake Plummer 2nd rd 42 ovr

Peyton Manning (1)
    Ryan Leaf (2)
    Charlie Batch 2nd rd 60 ovr
    Matt Hasselbeck <<< 6th round 187ovr

Tim Couch (1)
    Donovan McNabb (2)
    Akili Smith (3)
    Daunte Culpepper (11)
    Cade McNown (12)
    Shaun King 2nd rd 50ovr
    Aaron Brooks <<<< 4th rd 131 ovr

Chad Pennington (18) << Steelers picked Plaxico Burress this year at 8th overall first round
    Tom Brady << we all know

Michael Vick (1)
    Drew Brees 2nd rd 32 <<<<< would have been a steal and I'm sure every team would like to re-do that one.

David Carr (1)
    Joey Harrington (3)
    Patrick Ramsey (32)
    Josh McCown 3rd rd 81ovr

Carson Palmar (1)
    Byron Leftwich (7)
    Kyle Boller (19)
    Rex Grossman (22)
    Steelers trade up to get TROY POLAMALU w/ the 16th overall pick << I remember people complaining about but they aren't now.

BEN ROETHLISBERGER (11) <<<<<< a career later to many dismay even though he is a 1st ballot hall of famer

So reasonable critique would be passing on Brett Farve, Chad Pennington (but we had Kordell so they rationalized big WR), and Drew Brees.

Just look at the number of 1st round pick QBs that have done absolutely NOTHING.

I included all QBs picked in the first round and notable ones throughout.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Passing on Montana in free agency is a notable gripe. I also wasn't pleased about that. He lit it up for the Chiefs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Quarterbacks are only available through the draft?

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'll let you work on the free agent list. The point being QBs don't grow on trees and people should be appreciative of what they got.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Passing on Boeller in 2003 was a mistake. :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Good ones, for the extreme most part.

If that’s proper English?

23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You're missing my point I guess.
    Also, a player doesn't have to be a free agent to be traded. Ben wasn't a free agent when the Steelers desperately tried to trade him before the 2010 season.

24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    "a player doesn't have to be a free agent to be traded"? must be a typo

As for trading Ben, it's a good thing they didn't.

My point is that people like to poke and prod at Ben, but they have no idea what they have and really have no clue what they are talking about. People like Stephen A Smith who gets paid to have a clue.

25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Thanks for doing the research. I didnt realize Favre was available when we picked Huey Richardson. Who the F is Huey Richardson?