1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben the Undisputed Leader of this Team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Feb 20, 2019.

1. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Heyward also praises Mike Tomlin and Pouncey wore a "Free Hernandez" hat with his twin brother. Talk is talk, execution of that talk is zero.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    They accept him as the leader therefore he is.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Heidi Williams

Heidi Williams Member

Dec 31, 2018

Point taken for sure Steel Hog. I just think it was the wrong message from the GM. In this media platform bananza era, where people feel the need to air everything out, the people who are being called out are going to take it even more personally. It can make it that much harder to create a cohesive locker room and team culture.

Every player should be holding themselves and each other accountable, to a higher standard etc... Whatever it takes to win as a team. Just keep as much of it as possible out of the media.

I was just put off by the divisive message from Colbert that Ben is allowed to continue to do it on the radio where it does absolutely nothing to improve the team on Sundays.:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The 15 season starting QB being the team leader should be implied, players shouldn't have to announce it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I must be "old school". I think a leader (which I believe Ben is) should do what is necessary to motive those around him. Sometimes, simply telling someone to do or be better isn't enough and requires more drastic measures. Keep in mind, I'm not on the team (although I still maintain I should be), and I'm not in the locker room. Like the rest of you, I can only speculate about what is right or wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Jaguars game. nuff said.

Too many have their heads stuck in the mud. Either do not remember the pre-Ben days or too new of fans.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    He leads the way on vacation while other are at practice......

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah that's why it took how long for Ben to be voted as a Captain? You think the players support him I think the opposite. They voted Pouncey as a captain before they voted Ben, nothing against Pouncey but 99% of the time the QB gets the call for captain. Oh and then there is the whole team MVP, Ben should win this every year. Just like the SB the QB gets all the credit, ours just threw for 5000 yards and didn't get team MVP which is voted on by the players............ For the record team MVP during Ben career:

2004 - LB James Farrior
    2005 - NT Casey Hampton & WR Hines Ward
    2006 - RB Willie Parker
    2007 - LB James Harrison
    2008 - LB James Harrison
    2009 - QB Ben Roethlisberger
    2010 - SS Troy Polamalu
    2011 - WR Antonio Brown
    2012 - TE Heath Miller
    2013 - WR Antonio Brown
    2014 - RB Le’Veon Bell
    2015 - WR Antonio Brown
    2016 - RB Le’Veon Bell
    2017 - WR Antonio Brown
    2018 - WR JuJu Smith-Schuster

If you have any questions this article talks more about Ben:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...say-about-him-in-the-steelers-locker-room-nfl

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah but he’s a multi millionaire. It’s not like he can go on vacation anytime he wants....the best Expedia deals are during camp

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    He already has won a SB as a Steelers head coach, that's in the bank.

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Who is Ben calling out? Take that in account.

12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    TJ Watt and JuJu? And you're comparing leaders to performers?

Check your lemonade someone spiked it with BS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Good points.

Rooney and Tomlin's problem was allowing grown men to be grown men and too much lenience/special treatment toward the stars. He's even come out and admitted the last part. I personally think that will change in the future because my guess is Rooney and him have had a talk about it this offseason.

And Ben IS the leader, but your right that calling out players embarrassing them publicly is not the right way about doing it.

And despite public opinion, Ben does and has placed the blame on himself before others many times. If I cared to dig up every press conference I could, but I don't care all that much in attempts to sway opinions of the ignorant.

14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Just when I thought things couldn't get worse, management comes out and pretty much supports a lot of the bull**** that led us to where we are. A lot of the drama surrounding this team is due to Brown and Ben. The Brown situation can't be fixed, nor should it. Ship him out of town. The drama surrounding Ben can easily be fixed, but it appears this useless management team is going to allow it to continue.

We missed the playoffs for **** sakes. If that doesn't show that changes need to be made then I don't know what does. Bunch of idiots, all of them.

• Winner Winner x 3
  15. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018

Well, I wouldn't say he was someone I hang out with, he probably doesn't remember me from Adam, but I DID have some interaction with him at Miami University. Unless he's changed, he's an egotistical jerk. Even the people from his hometown in Findley, Ohio don't like him.

Now.....as I said....can he sling a football?....yes!....great QB on the field.....not so great a person off the field. At least he wasn't at Miami U........because of things I won't go into that happened there, I just don't like the guy. Doesn't mean I don't want him as the QB of the Steelers. What did Al Davis say?....."just WIN, baby!"

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    So you dont know him personally, got it. Perception created by other people's opinion. Be your own person.

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Do you consider all opinions that differ from yours to be ignorant, or just this one?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Junebug

Oct 1, 2018
    Do you have to "know" someone to realize they're a jerk? If you go to a restaurant, or the mall, or a sporting event, and someone is rude, disruptive, mean and nasty, just being an a**hole, do you have to KNOW them before you can say "I don't like that person?" I've SEEN Ben act like that, in person! Terribly rude to a waitress, acting like the crowd should bow down just because he walked in the room, walking out of a restaurant without paying his bill, because "I'm Big Ben", I don't need to pay, you're lucky I graced your establishment with my presence." So, though I don't know him personally, I've personally seen the kind of guy he is off the field. Granted that was years ago, but my opinion hasn't changed....first impressions? Ya know?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This is true. Some guys may reluctantly give Ben that leadership but he is the leader! Is he the type of leader we all want? No, but the guy wants whatever it takes to win and that trumps his drama.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Got it. So you are saying that Ben is "rude, disruptive, mean and nasty, just being an a**hole"

If you say so. A little harsh if you ask me, but just my opinion.

21. Junebug

Oct 1, 2018
    Not a problem. Everyone has their own opinions.....that said....do I hope Ben plays another 5 years and takes us to the SB? Heck, yea! I can separate "on the field" from "off the field". I don't have to like someone to be glad they're on my team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Was that the game where Ben spent the first 3 quarters putting the Steelers in a hole by throwing 3 ints and if not for a very questionable roughing the passer call on the play where he threw his 4th int the Steelers surely would have lost?

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I guess we can all agree Ben may or may not be a true leader on this team lol.

However we cannot deny our current leaders

Heyward
    Decastro
    Villanueva

Also the guys with good head on their shoulders, so far:
    Conner
    Juju
    Watt
    Haden
    Rudolph
    Nix
    Mcdonald

Let the players play, put them in position to succeed, and leadership will go along way in building a championship team.

If I was coach I would really emphasize what it means to be a Steeler, and that is off field behavior as well. I would love to give back to the community.

Who am I kidding, I'll be a 400lb greaseball lathering myself in shame and butter while I laugh my way to the bank

• Like Like x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    love Ben but.. this. lol

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I just don’t get the part where because you criticize yourself it gives you the right to criticize others. You should always point the finger at yourself first and foremost. That doesn’t then give you special rights. No matter how much you think it does.
    When Ben gets to the point where he’s perfect himself then cool, have at it . There are numerous ways he can be better on the field and that includes the preparation required off the field.
    Offseason and during.....

What’s the saying about pointing fingers? There are three pointing back at you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1