1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben suffers setback with ankle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Cbus Steelers, Jan 4, 2012.

1. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I do believe that batch wouldve been just as effective or maybe even more if we had made ben sit last week.He still wont throw short passes and continue to look for long ball.Arians and ben are two of a kind.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Gamesmanship, make them prepare for 2 different style of QB's and waste their time.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't see that from Tomlin, He doesn't seem like a coach that would allow any player, even a franchise QB to have control over him. I think with Tomlin it just boils down to a caveman mentality, tough it out, man up, all those cliches. Only explanation I can see for leaving Ben in the 49ers game with it out of reach. Docs probably told him he won't damage it worse then it already is so he left him in there. I don't agree with it, but I believe that's his thinking. I'm sure Ben wanted to play the Rams game too but Tomlin told him to sit.[/quote:kfzwcomn]

You should watch some of the miked up sideline stuff on Tomlin from last year. During the Carolina game Tomlin tells Ben he is going to leave him in for one maybe two more series and Ben asks him directly why not more. At that point Tomlin tells him directly to keep his jersey clean and he will consider leaving him in longer, if he doesn't he will pull him. Ben looks at him and says I only know one way to play coach. Tomlin says keep the jersey clean and you will make it real easy on me. Before that exchange he is screaming on the sideline for Ben to get rid of the ball to avoid a sack but you don't see him sa a word to Ben after the series about throwing it away or hurting the offense by taking unnecessary sacks. It was really eye opening in how these two communicate on the sideline which leads me to believe that even at 60% Ben is going to say I can go and Tomlin is going to let him try just because he feels Ben is such a competitor that he will overcome his injuries to find a way to win, in which case they are both stupid and should take ego out of the equation and remember there are 52 other guys on the roster that want that win and chance for a title as well.[/quote:kfzwcomn]

I've actually seen that clip. I think Tomlin leaves Ben in to often when he get's hurt, I would have rather seen Ben sit both the Rams and Browns game with maybe playing a qtr or half in the Browns game to shake off the rust. That said, I believe it's solely Tomlins decision to do so, Ben can try and give him static but in the end, MTs decision is the final word.