1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben suffers setback with ankle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Cbus Steelers, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
  2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    And the hits just keep on coming...

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  4. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It's not a problem. Ben won't let an ankle stop him. I'm sure he learned from his mistakes in San Fran.

5. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Not to beat a dead horse, but Batch could have played and won 1 or 2 games for us. Ben could have been much healthier at this point.

7. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Sigh. Every day it seems its a new injury for someone.... :frustrated:

8. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    It's just to throw the Broncos off a little, Ben will be fine. He will have 330 passing yards and 4 TD's this Sunday. :thumbsup:

9. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I noticed that some point in the Cleaveland game that he starts to limp more than normal.

10. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Is that the cortozone shot just wearing off?

11. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is a big deal. We REALLY need a healthy Ben for the next round (assuming we beat Denver). I was hoping he would be nearly 100% for NE or Balt.

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We can beat Denver with Batch and the running game IMO .....So I think the staff should think long and hard about sitting Ben this week.....If he wins and is still a statue without the ability to move around in the pocket we can't beat the Rats or NE in their house IMO......

As to the poster above about him learning from the San Fran game......You can't make your body step into a throw if the pain is forcing the ankle not to plant....This was the reason he was off and why BA should have went with Batch.....

BA probably will not lean heavily on the run so we need Ben a lot more in 2 Weeks than we need him now,,,,,as stated Batch and company can put up 21 or so should be more than enough to win.....

Also we need to pull hard for the Texans as a half a Ben against Suggs,Ngnata,Lewis,and Reed and company would almost certainly spell disaster,,,,,on the other hand the D of the Patriots would be easier to stay in the Gun against,,,,,no way can you play the Ravens like that......

13. Sauce

Sauce Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Hindsight is 20/20.

14. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Ben will need to be on his death bed for him not to play Sunday.

15. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Except that he's already cost us one game because he refused to sit, and that was hardly a stellar showing against the Browns. When is he going to grow beyond doing what he wants and instead choose what's best for the team at large? I want him to get better, I want him to play well, but he's been hurting the team playing with an injury that many have said is nearly impossible to play on and takes a longer time to heal than a regular ankle sprain. Let's see what the longer-term implications are as we head into the playoffs.

I love the man, but fool me twice...

16. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ben will need to learn to play w/out all the scrambling. See the opening before you even call for the snap. Hit the receiver on the break. He can do it.

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    True. Tomlin made a good decision over Clark - let's hope he can do the same when it comes to judging whether Ben can go or not.

18. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Sit his ass down and start batch. We shouldnt need ben to beat the broncos. We need him next round. Ben would never let that happen but the broncos are 22nd against the pass and both their safeties are hurting. A healthy batch is better then a 60% big ben.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Except Bens not the coach and doesn't get to decide if he plays or not. He's even said in several interviews it's not his choice. There isn't an athlete in the world that will sit if he physically can play, it's the coaches job to protect the athlete from himself.

20. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Simply a difference of opinion, but I think Ben is exactly who is deciding if he plays or not. It may technically be Tomlin's job to make the choice, but I think he abdicated that role a couple of years ago. Just because MT should be calling the shots, I don't believe for a second that he actually is, which makes them both wrong in my opinion (for what it's worth). Just because it's how it should work doesn't mean it actually does (see: Colts).

21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Except Bens not the coach and doesn't get to decide if he plays or not. He's even said in several interviews it's not his choice. There isn't an athlete in the world that will sit if he physically can play, it's the coaches job to protect the athlete from himself.[/quote:1ablor4n]

What is Tomlin doing then? ...Ben should have been benched against the 49ers... he was clearly sailing balls high because he couldn't drive his foot on passes.

22. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    This just ticks me off. And not because he's injured, but because he has done NOTHING to help himself or the team. If Batch were to have played the last three weeks we would be in the same position or better (probably winning at SF). He has done the team and his body no good. We all know he won't sit out, so he won't get any better.
    Provided there is an offensive gameplan the maximizes his skill set, I think Batch could probably beat the Broncos and the Pats. But, this will never happen. We will be handicapped by a QB who isn't even 50%.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Simply a difference of opinion, but I think Ben is exactly who is deciding if he plays or not. It may technically be Tomlin's job to make the choice, but I think he abdicated that role a couple of years ago. Just because MT should be calling the shots, I don't believe for a second that he actually is, which makes them both wrong in my opinion (for what it's worth). Just because it's how it should work doesn't mean it actually does (see: Colts).[/quote:3fnlrylv]

Tomlin sat Clark for this weeks game, bet Clark would have played if he didn't. Do you guys really believe Ben is going to Tomlin saying, "I'm playing whether you like it or not", because that's just not reality.

24. Steverycher

Steverycher Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Simply a difference of opinion, but I think Ben is exactly who is deciding if he plays or not. It may technically be Tomlin's job to make the choice, but I think he abdicated that role a couple of years ago. Just because MT should be calling the shots, I don't believe for a second that he actually is, which makes them both wrong in my opinion (for what it's worth). Just because it's how it should work doesn't mean it actually does (see: Colts).[/quote:dujwhpmi]

It's Tomlin's call. If it's not, then that's a big coaching problem. Ben is competitive athlete and will be on the field in spite of himself, like most competetive athletes. That's why you have coaches.

25. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I stated earlier that BA probably won't lean toward the running game because Mendenhall is out. His game plan is to throw the ball all over the yard, and Tomlin will let BA and Ben do just that.

I do believe that Batch can beat the Broncos, so Tomlin should consider sitting Ben for the following weeks game. Ben will have to bring his "A" game against either the Ravens or Pats to win.