1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben should be benched or traded

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Burgettstown Bob, Sep 20, 2021.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yep - Lamar is pretty good.

2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    maybe, for 1 or 2 games. And then it was all figured out....and still is figured out.

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Then, who is? I need to get my bet in!

4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Tampa's gonna repeat. Vs who? Idk but anybody other than the Steelers.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Mason is the same problem, no intermediate game. He can throw deep but its low percentage plays, he’d be little improvement.

If you are going to make a change, you’d have to roll the dice with Haskins and after seeing that last preseason game, that doesn’t offer much hope. I suppose since it’s a lost season anyway, you can see if you can develop him during the year and you’ll have a definitive answer by next draft how you want to proceed.

I think it’s pretty obvious they will need to draft a QB rd 1.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah.....no

7. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Tampa vs one of the Bills, Chiefs, Ravens, Browns or Raiders

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I mean did you see what Brady did yesterday? How are they not gonna repeat? They have no competition in the NFC, Brees is gone, Rodgers is a head case. I absolutely hate it but the only way they don't repeat is if TB gets injured which doesn't happen.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Rams can challenge them. 49ers once they make the switch to Lance could also.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I really want you to be right but I've seen enough of this nightmare to know it will continue lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t doubt what he can accomplish anymore, I just hope for someone to hand his ass to him :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    No, no I did not. I like Tampa but can't stand Tom OR Gronk. Will never root for them nor wish anything but pain on them. Tom get injured? Could happen!

13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    C'mon! You prognosticators are so sure you know the outcomes. Pick!

14. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    My question is this, on which drive did we look the absolute best on, I do believe it was the touchdown drive that we went no huddle on and Ben was in command of the plays. Just sayin.

Defense, 1st half Carr had a little over 100 passing yards when Watt was in getting pressure

Defense 2nd half Carr had almost 300 passing yards when there was no pressure.

Raiders aren’t a weak team, beat Baltimore in which beat top team in AFC last night and beat us in which we beat the other top team in the AFC the previous week. The Raiders aren’t the Raiders of the past.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I'd say Chiefs again even though the boring pick.

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Benching Ben?!?! For whom?!?! Mason?!?! Dwayne?!?!

As much as I wanted to believe in him, he is what he is at this point. I really wanted Haskins to pan out but the final pre season game was not very encouraging at all. Again and, as stated before, options and choices. Big Ben, Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins were the options. Big Ben was the best choice; term "best" being loosely used around here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Ben hasn’t looked great but man Mason or Haskins would poop the bed biiiiig time behind this oline. Ben still can evade pressure decently , Mason is a statue. I think Ben got hit over 10 times yesterday. Mason would have been hit 15-20 times

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Burgettstown Bob

Burgettstown Bob Active Member

Sep 20, 2021
    I remember what good he did for the Steelers. Unfortunately that "good" is nearly 10 years removed now. Ben should have been let go when he lost to the Jacksonville Jaguars in the Divisional round a few years back. While it may not have been all Ben's fault, he contributed enough poor play that it should have warranted us moving on as a franchise. Instead, senile Rooney awards him a mega contract just a year or two later. I hope all that cha-ching was worth the nostalgia of yester-year. The reality is, present day, Ben is a bottom 3 QB in the league and I'm guessing it's only going to get worse as the year goes on, unfortunately. While our back-ups are obviously not the desired path forward, it's time to move on, regardless. If we had a QB that was mobile and could throw the ball, we may not be SB champs this year, but I don't think it would be near the level of doom and gloom either.

19. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Ben isn't who he used to be but it doesn't matter who we put back there. With no running game, 2.5 seconds to get passes off before the QB gets decked and receivers that can't seem to get separation, it doesn't matter who we put back there. As far as going for a high draft pick, our defense is good enough to help our team to a record that won't get us a top 10 pick, regardless of who's playing QB. Since Rudolph isn't our future, we're better off leaving Ben in there and hoping the offensive line gels to where we can get a running game and more time to throw downfield. Ben can still get it done in the right environment.

20. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Did you sleep through the 2019 season? 8-8. That's what you get, at best, if Mason is our QB.

21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This. The Raiders are better than many are giving them credit for. If you told me before the game that Watt and Alualu would be gone in Q1, coupled with all the other absentees I probably would have picked the Raiders to win.

The whole identity of this team is built around the defence, you can’t take all those guys out and expect the same performance. As impressive as he was, Carr would not have had all day in the pocket to pick us apart if TJ and the others had been there.

The offence is a real worry. We all said before the season that this team would go as far as Ben and the OLine could carry them. It’s not looking good so far but they have time and Banner is supposedly aiming to be back week 4. He is not proven by any means but id be surprised if he is not better than Chuks

22. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I could be wrong but Im pretty sure Colbert has not been extended past 2022. That could mean the team has plans to blow things up after this year if we do not have a good season. New GM usually means new HC. New HC usually means new QB.

• Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    J. Allen has won a total what. Dang You guys get sold on a Qb before their teams even have 2 pay them. I would Love 2 see a list(a honest list) of every player people on this board was sold on being the next great thing. So I could compare their SB titles, or do SB titles compare when talking about Ben???? Hell if by honesty I'd bet a bunch of You guys favorite great players in the past 20 years aren't even on their teams anymore.

24. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Allen already got paid. He got a $200+ million contract. And yes, I would trade Ben, all the QBs on our roster plus all of our supposed elite WRs for Allen. And Buffalo would laugh in our faces and walk away.

25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Pretty much agree. If you had the QB of the future on the roster now, you could justify benching Ben to give the successor experience and to fully roll out the Canada offense (if that is really the future). They won’t do it as long as they can cling to the hope of contending. But come Halloween, if it’s a disaster, and Mason is not future, then let Haskins give you data points. Decide whether to continue or abort the experiment. In any case, a QB will get drafted early next yr.