1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben says his coach and GM didn't want him back.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, May 12, 2022.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    They would have taken Ben back in a heartbeat. They just didn't want the shell of Ben back. It's like:
    • buying the Maserati without the engine
    • buying a hotdog and only getting the bun
    • going to an NFL game and only getting to see the replacement players during a strike
    • being first in the parking lot at Wally World only to learn they're closed
    • going to the Texas de Brazil Steakhouse and finding out they have no meat
    • going to McCormick and Schmick and all they have is carp
    • getting signed as a free agent QB thinking you are going to start and then they draft the QB of the future

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I actually walked into a Pizza Hut and sat down only to be told they were out of pizza

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  3. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I thought I was the only one who had that kind of luck

• Like Like x 1
  4. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    Similarly, we've gone to Arby's and been told they had no roast beef. Twice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    And people here blame the coach for it :facepalm:

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Same. I made the comment to the kid working drive thru so apparently you don't have the meat. He was not amused, I was but still couldn't get a roast beef sandwich.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  7. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    When he got hit in the knee I thought he would miss a few games. Somehow he came back in the game. Things really changed after that. It would be nice to know if that was part of the reason for the collapse

• Like Like x 1
  8. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Could have been worse, if you were in a library and felt peckish for fermented curd.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They always do, the whole Tomlin is playing down to the competition :rolleyes:.

10. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Did Ben think he had anything left. I mean our offense was trash ever since his elbow injury. The Steelers
    had to have the lowest offense output the last 3 years. How many more 18 point games could the team take from poor qb play and yes the line was crappy but his lack of mobility made them even worse. I sure as heck did not want to see another year of 50 pass attempts for 2 yards every game. DID YOU
    We love you Ben except for never ending DRAMA queen you were and that Georgia crap really dinged your long lasting legacy throughout the league. The motor cycle accident probably cost us another SUPER BOWL. You were great but father time always wins and he pulled the chord on your career when the elbow snapped.

11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Yes, I blamed the coach for not benching Ben that game. If you are talking about the 2020 game when it was 17 - 0 at the half.

I remember that game, and there was absolutely no reason Ben was not benched at halftime. I was screaming for Mason to come in and finish the game. After the game is when I decided that I should just enjoy these next 4 games with Ben at QB as they were going to be his last. So, I made myself stop complaining about Ben and tried to enjoy Ben's last 4 games of his career in 2020. And then he returned for the 2021 season....

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I swear some of y’all.

I’m not talking about any specific game. You hear and read it after every loss. Ben throws a couple interceptions and people blame the coach.

13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    No, I am talking about a specific game. Monday Night December 21st, 2020

Halftime of that Cincinnati game, if Tomlin has any guts he pulls Ben out of the game and sits him down. Ben had 19 pass yds in the first half with an INT that setup a Bengals TD. To me this is just Tomlin not wanting to make the hard calls that Coaches have to make. Sometimes I think he tries to be a little to friendly with his players and the Refs. I know he is always refereed to as a players coach, and he just wants to be one of the guys, but everyone once in a while you need that leader of men to make the hard calls.

And in that particular Cincinnati game Tomlin was not a leader of men, and failed the other 52 players that were on the field that night.

If you are wondering Pittsburgh was a 14 point favorite for that game as the Bengals had lost 5 straight games and Ryan Finley was their starting QB with Burrow out.

For me Tomlin came across as a Bad coach that night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I mean Ben was great but we wasted like two seasons because he insisted on still playing even though he was clearly done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    One season.
    We will be lucky even with all the money spent in FA , draft picks spent, and coaches added for any Qb on this team 2 have a season even close 2 His 2020 season.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    And nothing to show for it. Could have been that much further along in finding his successor.

Not that I blame Ben, most athletes think they can still play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is exactly how I feel.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly what I was about to post

• Like Like x 1
  19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If that article is true about Ben wanting to come back for 2022; then we can thank Tomlin and Colbert for being able to say "NO" this year.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011

Brice this makes no sense even at your standards

Art owns the team he could make you QB if he wanted

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    It sounds like this year Tomlin and Colbert put their foot down and talk Art out of it.

1 time out of 10 you may get an Owner to side with his head coach over his super star QB, but it does happen. (Paraphrasing a line from The Replacements)

• Like Like x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well this became a non story

23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Probably the most accurate Ben has been in quite some time

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My guess I'd that it will be revisited in mid Aug when the drudgery of camp causes beat writers to panic and fans to weep openly in the streets about having Ben for one more year instead of the has been or never wills they currently have on the roster.

Author's note: This is an overly dramatic interpretation of current fan trends and is not reflective of what the author actually thinks. Here We Go Steelers

• Like Like x 1
  25. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    When the local Dairy Queen opened about 15-20 years ago, the wife and I went down to get some ice cream. They had no ice cream, zero. Zip. Nada. Food and soft drinks only. I thought my wife's head was going to explode. So, as I drove out in to the country to go to a privately owned ice cream stand, I had to endure perfectly legitimate inquiries that I wasn't in a position to answer. To whit; "Why the hell would they open when their whole menu is unavailable?" "Why wouldn't they put the fact that they have no ice cream until such and such a date on their marquis?" To my wife, there is no gray area. Right is right and wrong is wrong and God help you if you don't have a plan moving forward on how to right said wrong, lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1