1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Roethlisberger: The NEW Troll Genius

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by antennaman1969, Apr 4, 2013.

1. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Anyone see this article on NFL.com?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000157372/article/big-ben-fins-wr-mike-wallace-no-onetrick-pony

The comment section is a shambles. The Phins dreamers are sure he is the second coming of Paul Warfield. Except...Warfield probably went over the middle. :eek:

They are flaming the Steeler fans for saying the truth: Jeff Ireland grossly overpaid him. He has hands of stone, and checks out on the game (focus issues).:rolleyes:

Big Ben sounded very flattering. Almost melancholy, if you will. He talked MW up big time.:bye:

/may have to move this one.

2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He did it the way he does everything. His own coach called him one-trick, but Ben still threw him under the bus by saying that he's dedicated to doing the things he needs to do to be a top receiver. He didn't say he's already got those things...

3. Stiller3

Stiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    That comment section is hilarious.

Pot calling the kettle black.

Good on Ben for being stand up in this case.

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Wasn't it JUST this year that a fan confronted the Fins owner at a game and really let him have it? Well I wonder what that guy is thinking now? I think the Fins made a mistake but we'll see. I hope they made a mistake because I've never liked them anyway.

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought the perceived problem with Wallace was that he didn't extend, not that he had hands of stone. Hands of stone are players who drop balls that are catchable. People were on Wallace's back for not stretching out to make a catch.

A minor point, in the grand scheme of things, and all secondary to the real reason folks don't like him, which was because he held out and seemed to have an inflated sense of his own ability.

Still, I didn't realise he was the 3rd highest paid receiver now... wow.

6. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    I liked Wallace as a Steeler but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see him getting starched on the news at 6.

7. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Wallace will be next year's Arians. He will put up some nice stats and be considered a valuable receiver, but everyone on this board will know that the general consensus is wrong and he really sucks. Next off season we will still have the Wallace compared to his replacement threads.

8. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Wallace is a great receiver. The reality is that he didn't want to play in this system ironically, I don't think he was a good fit for it. He doesn't see the value in the "Jerry Rice special"...catch the quick slant and run 75 yards. He didn't understand that sometimes you go long, by throwing the ball short, especially when the D has 4 guys deep already.

9. Stiller3

Stiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Cmon' man you at least have to say spoiler alert before giving away things like that.

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Here's the thing. Wallace never sucked. Not really. You can say he was "average at best", "relied too much on his speed", "wasn't clutch", etc. etc. But he didn't suck. If he did, then our other receivers must be pretty bad considering he was number one. That's not a defence of Wallace, btw, so lets not re-open those debates. But I despair sometimes how people talk themselves into seeing the world as black and white like that.

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    definitely off on the paul warfield comparisons........ mark duper would be more accurate

12. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Thank you! I stand corrected. Duper would go over the middle.;)