1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Roethlisberger Interview On WPXI

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, May 21, 2012.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    People often talk in generalities. I don't know, in your words, what Ben measures in his mind that effects the team on and off the field. I have no idea what he mouthed off about that has caused you to have a short fuse. And I suppose I don't really know what facts you have, that are not accusations, that you feel are more correct (LOL)?

Keep in mind, facts can't be 'more correct than they aren't' , [SIC] it's correct because it is, in itself, a fact ((LOL again).

But you know what? I'm thinking you're old school and you're still p*ssed @ him and that's your right. I do get that.[/quote:vxv8qmfz]

I thought it was obvious from where I placed my statement in parenthesis that is was the "accusations" I find more accurate than the the word "facts". Facts are facts they can't be more or less accurate, I get that. There were actual facts in Georgia that I have issue with. I have nothing to say about Lake Tahoe. That's a simple he said she said and no witnesses.

All his past off season issues going all the way back to not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle (when he has to wear one for work) affects the team. Suspensions etc... They affected the team and the seasons. Yes, I take issues with how he weighs matters and their effects. His physical preparation has never been anything a fan could hang their hat on. His heart, and effort during a game, unrivaled..!

These guys get payed far too much to not be thoughtful in all their decisions. If an actor screws up between gigs it only effects their career. A team player is different.

My issue with what he said in the interview is small. He sounded kind of whiney about the fact that he's frustrated having to learn a new offense after he was comfortable with the old (and stale) Ariens system. I think I said in another post how differently P. Manning spoke about his experience with his new surroundings. Manning's tone was all business and determined serious hard work on the field and in study. I just wish Ben was more of that model than his natural one with his professional preparation. That's all. I just know when he speaks to the media, lot's of times I wish he not less honest, but more thoughtful. And not that I want him to lie or be bland, but to honestly be smarter and it to be real. I'll take the good with the not so bad though.

I don't have too much of an issue with what he said in regards to Wallace. It could be taken out of context a few ways and he wasn't crystal clear. I'm not sure he should be taking sides with his team mates over the organization that has been kind and patient with him. That's if he was in that statement, like I said, I can't tell. I'll choose to think he was talking about Wallace holding out yet keeping things civil and still good communication with the staff and team. Not sure if he was or wasn't so I never commented on that aspect.

2. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Joe Flacco said Ray Rice should get paid.. That's backing a player over an organization. All Ben said was that Mike was doing it the right way.

3. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree? I don't think Ben said anything wrong per se, I thought that was clear. BUT if I was him I would stay out of it because of what the organization has done for him.

I don't know one bit about what's going on with the ravens and Rice. But, saying a guy should get payed vs. saying a player not showing up to workouts (mandatory or not) because of contract disputes "is doing it the right way" are two different things. IF that was what he was doing. I already said i don't know. I don't believe anyone thinks Wallace doesn't deserve more money, the issue is how much more. And isn't Rice in a different year of his contract?

When did we start using the ravens as a barometer? They are modeled on us!

Add to my player statement concerns James Harrison. Doesn't he have enough heat on him? Today he's speaking out for Vilma. Jeebus... I understand having another players back against your arch nemesis but, he's blurring the line between his own nasty hits intended to knock another guy out of a game or intimidate them and Vilma's purposeful intended injure attempts for side compensation.

James. ....Zip it !!!

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    How is that any different? Ben said Mike is doing it the right way (ie doing the right thing by holding out). Both Flacco and Ben are giving their opinion on something they should keep their mouths shut about.

5. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    ben also said the steelers are doing it their way

6. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Shaner it's ALOT different.. Flacco basically said pay the man. However, one could interpret what Ben said in a number of different ways.
    Oldschool I can see your point about just staying out of it but in no way was I useing the Ravens as a barometer for what we do. I simply stated how Flacco's comments were more directly pro-Rice.

7. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Say bland, politically correct statements - wrong, tell the truth - wrong, support a teammate - wrong, don't say anything - wrong, smile - wrong, frown - wrong. Wrong Wrong Wrong!

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pretty much no matter what you do somebody is going to disagree with it so why not just say whats on your mind like ben does

9. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I hear lots of players whoo seem to be honest for the most part yet don't make waves very often.

I think it's funny how being "Politically Correct" sometimes is such a scarlet letter to some. I wonder what those who take issue with politically correctness had to say when Mendenhall and Batch had their political opinions expressed in the last year or so. Those being actual POLITICAL opinions. Not just unpopular statements about anything that gets labeled under that tag name. Incorrectly.

10. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    To be honest (did I just say that :o), I also understand this sentiment.

11. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I thought it was obvious from where I placed my statement in parenthesis that is was the "accusations" I find more accurate than the the word "facts". Facts are facts they can't be more or less accurate, I get that. There were actual facts in Georgia that I have issue with. I have nothing to say about Lake Tahoe. That's a simple he said she said and no witnesses.

All his past off season issues going all the way back to not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle (when he has to wear one for work) affects the team. Suspensions etc... They affected the team and the seasons. Yes, I take issues with how he weighs matters and their effects. His physical preparation has never been anything a fan could hang their hat on. His heart, and effort during a game, unrivaled..!

These guys get payed far too much to not be thoughtful in all their decisions. If an actor screws up between gigs it only effects their career. A team player is different.

My issue with what he said in the interview is small. He sounded kind of whiney about the fact that he's frustrated having to learn a new offense after he was comfortable with the old (and stale) Ariens system. I think I said in another post how differently P. Manning spoke about his experience with his new surroundings. Manning's tone was all business and determined serious hard work on the field and in study. I just wish Ben was more of that model than his natural one with his professional preparation. That's all. I just know when he speaks to the media, lot's of times I wish he not less honest, but more thoughtful. And not that I want him to lie or be bland, but to honestly be smarter and it to be real. I'll take the good with the not so bad though.

I don't have too much of an issue with what he said in regards to Wallace. It could be taken out of context a few ways and he wasn't crystal clear. I'm not sure he should be taking sides with his team mates over the organization that has been kind and patient with him. That's if he was in that statement, like I said, I can't tell. I'll choose to think he was talking about Wallace holding out yet keeping things civil and still good communication with the staff and team. Not sure if he was or wasn't so I never commented on that aspect.[/quote:s4nsmuta]

Don't even know where to begin (LOL), so I won't.

Go Steelers!

12. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011

I don't have too much of an issue with what he said in regards to Wallace. It could be taken out of context a few ways and he wasn't crystal clear. I'm not sure he should be taking sides with his team mates over the organization that has been kind and patient with him. That's if he was in that statement, like I said, I can't tell. I'll choose to think he was talking about Wallace holding out yet keeping things civil and still good communication with the staff and team. Not sure if he was or wasn't so I never commented on that aspect.[/quote:1z6ydwej]

Don't even know where to begin (LOL), so I won't.

Go Steelers![/quote:1z6ydwej]

Good. :amen: :applaud:
    :herewego:

13. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Very good interview and sounds like Ben has it together.

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Todd Haley is going to have a much more potent offense this year than any of the ones we saw in the past with Arians. Haley correctly evaluated this offense and saw that it badly needed an up grade on the Oline, we went in that direction in the draft. Secondly he asessed Bens skill set and saw his best asset was play-action, haley saw the need to have a strong running game to give Ben the best chance to feature his strongest asset by installing a full back position for the first time in 5 years.

With this new offensive scheme with a better pass/run blocking Oline Ben shouldnt get sacked near as much as in the past, and with a fullback leading the way the run game should be improved especially with a battering ram like Redmon, who can also catch the ball out of the back field which is another feature haley intends to use this year to get the ball out of bens hands to help eliminate the sacks. You may even see more screens to the backs this year as well. I honestly think Haley is going to be a good fit for this offense, I dont think he would have taken this job if he thought for a minute the skill players we have on offense didnt present an upside...

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, we need a good fullback for it to work - scheme has to be executed for it to work.

However, I feel there's another thread on this already...