1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Roethlisberger Interview On WPXI

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, May 21, 2012.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Big Ben was interviewed today at the Hoge-Starks-Ward charity golf benefit. Some of the topics he was asked about were his relationship with Haley, the new playbook, Mike Wallace and more. Here's a link to the video.~ Big Ben Interview On WPXI

2. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Good guy and player.
    Steelers are lucky to have him.

3. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Sounds like a rejuvinated Big Ben whos redy to go this year. I'm really excited about our offensive possibilities this year!! :herewego:

4. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Big Ben is the man sounds like he is ready to go win #7

5. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It sounds good but I'm just hoping all this translate to the field.

6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That's really good to hear he works well and closely with the back up QB's. Ben didn't always do that throughout his career.
    Also good to hear him call some of the new playbook concepts "awesome." It means it's very, very different from BA's concepts and is making Ben think about the game in a way that perhaps he never has before.

Kind of wish he didn't say Wallace was doing things "the right way." You don't really want to hear your QB encouraging a WR to continue to hold out. Not really a big deal though, but it makes me cringe when players comment on other players who are holding out. I would rather them say next to nothing about such topics.

Good interview though, love that he's focused more than ever. I am expecting big things from this offence for the first time in a long time. I've never been confident in our offence, but now I feel hopeful.

7. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Whats he supposed to say mike needs to man up and get in here and cause a rift between the two of them. He handled the question well if you ask me

8. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    No of course not, that would be a horrible thing to say. I just cringe anytime players seem to take one side or the other with these types of things. I'd rather him just say "that's something that Mike and the team need to work out" and that's about it. But like I said, it wasn't a big deal by any means.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

That is just another case of Ben trying to be a leader and trying to show solidarity with a teammate. The problem is that as good as it sounds in his head and and sound as his reasoning is, it is not what the media hears and will report. I am with Shaner on this one he should just not comment on the whole situation and steer the question back towards the team and Wallace because the way the media will spin it is that Ben encourages his teammates to hold out not sign a tender andtry to gouge the team for more money than they are worth. He really does need a media consultant more than any player I have ever seen. Someone to tell him that the media is not his friend, that playing cute with them gets him into trouble and that sometimes it is better to just not say anything.

10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    In Bens defence he was merely pointing out that he has his way of getting through the process the same way the Rooney have their process. You have to respect the process

Bman

11. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Exactly. I remember Brett Favre calling out one of his WRs (Javon Walker) a few years back for holding out. The media frenzy picked up on this and ran with it, causing some to question his judgment in how he (Favre) handled the situation. As an aside, Walker eventually ended his holdout and abruptly tore his ACL in the first game of the following regular season. He did alright though, if I remember, signing 2 more big contracts with Denver and Oakland before retiring.

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Also tomlin basically said the same thing ben did in his post ota interview

13. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If it matters, I saw on twitter (steelers depot I think) that Wallace was at the facility last week to pick up a playbook. This was according to A. Brown.

14. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I cringe every time Ben opens his mouth to speak with reporters.

15. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Like I said, Ben (or any player) shouldn't side with either Mike Wallace or the Steelers, at least not publicly. Speaking about another players contract status is generally a big no no anyway in pro sports. I just wish he hadn't said "Mike is doing things the right way." Sorry, but to me, the right way isn't to refuse to play for what the team is allowed to pay him under the CBA. In case Ben and Mike forget, the union that they voted in, collectively bargained the restricted tender into the agreement, so technically, Ben and Wallace agreed to this. Wallace is refusing to live up to the CBA, and Ben is saying he's doing things the right way. It was a stupid thing to say, but in the grand scheme of things, not a big deal. I just sometimes wish Ben would offer up a little less in the way of an opinion.

16. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the statement about Wallace doing it the right way may have been #7 referring to the fact that Wallace came in to get a copy of the playbook. No more, no less.

17. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, my take on it is, I would rather hear at least SOME partial honesty, than just players giving cliche answers, and sounding like politicians, because they are scared of how the media will "spin" it.
    I am NEVER for "calling out" a team mate, or your team, but...
    If you give the reporters ANYTHING they can twist into it sounding like that, they will... It`s their job.
    I actually like it when Silverback, or Ryan Clark, or Ben, or Hines Ward( yeah, you remember the "Ben`s a wuss cause he wouldn`t play with a concussion", and some of his comments when HE held out), or Redman, or Troy, or ANYONE on our team will actually try to give their honest opinion, when asked a question, instead of resorting to safe, politically correct, cliche, answers.
    To me, interviews with coaches and players are almost not worth watching nowadays, because most of them are so scared of pissing someone off, they are scared to speak their mind.
    They just resort to the standard catch phrases of the day, and try to come off as being a humble, "good teammate", kinda guy.
    To the point where you never know what they REALLY think. (Edit... Troy, and Heath are NOT who I am talking about here, I believe they TRULY are humble men, who mean what they say.)
    That doesn`t mean they have to be like T.O., or be selfish jerks, but they DO have a right to speak their mind.
    Unfortunately, when they do, it usually creates a huge public backlash against them, I can`t blame most of them for playing it safe.
    But it sure does make for boring interviews, when they all sound the same as each other.
    We DO still have freedom of speech, and thought, in this country, and I appreciate it, when the players use it!
    Even when I don`t agree with their point of view, I have a lot more respect for a man who will tell me what he thinks, than one that plays it safe, and leaves you wondering what he REALLY thinks!
    Again, I know we are the Steelers, and I appreciate that we don`t usually air our dirty laundry in public, but there are plenty of other times, when I think the players are completely justified, in saying what they think of the league in general, or other topics, without having to self-censor, to the point where you don`t have a clue what their personality truly is.
    Just my 2cents...
    Kinda reminds me of a thread about "I wish Ben would just shut the hell up".... Might have to dig that up, and re-read it, to see where my fellow message boarders stand on this topic...

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is exactly right. I have a question for all the people who have a problem with how Ben answers question because of how the media will spin it, why the hell do you care what the media says??? Let them spin it anyway they want, who cares. I'd rather hear real answers instead of safe, boring untruthful answers. I mean really, if that's what you guys want to hear, why bother listening to interviews in the first place, you're not getting the truth anyways, you're just wasting your time.

19. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't always have an issue with ben telling the truth as he sees it. What I have an issue with is how he sees it. I just think the guy has bad judgement across the board for the most part and I hate defending him and his reputation. the only thing I don't have to defend is his abilities. But, those will start to fade soon and he will need to rely on that judgement in the later years.

Now, I saw him interviewed on ESPN today saying it was a bit frustrating after the first day of practice because he's learning all the new stuff after being comfortable in the old one. Waaaa waaa... The dude gets payed over ten million a year and doesn't work a full year. I am supposed to defend him or understand that he's frustrated? Hire a tutor dude.

On the other hand I saw Peyton Manning who says he's been living at their facility ingesting as much film and the playbook as he could. And he seemed glad to be doing it!!!

Just sayin...

Some people are sick of other people who have a problem with Ben and his answers and the distractions they might cause. Sometimes others are sick of the criticism of his physic, film study, ball holding (haha), past off season issues and knee jerk answers.

Well, I'm sick of people not having a problem with those things. I just can't give a free pass because he's our QB.

That being said, I love him on the field for the most part and glad he's our QB on game day. It's the rest of the week I'm iffy about. I'll take the good over the bad, especially if he brings us a 7th ring.

20. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    And here I am thinking that was one of the best interviews I've seen/heard him do. He was concise, sincere, and answered all the questions even with some humility. He mentioned the charity first and foremost, and even took some time to develop rapport with some self deprecating humor. He looked more at ease with himself than I've ever seen him. Are we seeing the same interview?

I never cringe when he speaks. I cringed when he was accused, keyword ACCUSED, of wrong doing but I think that is still gnawing @ some here and is probably the real issue some of you have with him.

21. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I can't listen to the interview posted on my mac, I only spoke of the portion I saw on ESPN. Yes, I do have issues with the way he measures things in his mind and how it effects the team on and off the field and a I have short fuse with his mouth because of facts and accusations (that I feel are more correct then they aren't). Not so much his football play. I don't want to go over the Georgia thing again. You may or may not have a different opinion that I do and there doesn't seem to be any way to agree about it if we feel differently. I'm OK with that. It is what it is.

22. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    if you listen to most football players talk about other players holding out, they usually never have a bad thing to say. when it comes to a guy trying to get paid its his right and he HAS to get all he can while he is hot.

there is only a small window for these guys to get as much money as they can so they have to do what they need to do. trust me, when they arent performing the front office has no problem telling them to either take a pay cut or get cut.

23. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    People often talk in generalities. I don't know, in your words, what Ben measures in his mind that effects the team on and off the field. I have no idea what he mouthed off about that has caused you to have a short fuse. And I suppose I don't really know what facts you have, that are not accusations, that you feel are more correct (LOL)?

Keep in mind, facts can't be 'more correct than they aren't' , [SIC] it's correct because it is, in itself, a fact ((LOL again).

But you know what? I'm thinking you're old school and you're still p*ssed @ him and that's your right. I do get that.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    People often talk in generalities. I don't know, in your words, what Ben measures in his mind that effects the team on and off the field. I have no idea what he mouthed off about that has caused you to have a short fuse. And I suppose I don't really know what facts you have, that are not accusations, that you feel are more correct (LOL)?

Keep in mind, facts can't be 'more correct than they aren't' , [SIC] it's correct because it is, in itself, a fact ((LOL again).

But you know what? I'm thinking you're old school and you're still p*ssed @ him and that's your right. I do get that.[/quote:38z58h0d]

Some people just don't like Ben and yeah, most of it probably has to do with them believing the "accusations" even without a shred of proof. I guess you can call him teflon Ben, he's slicker then a mob boss, guy has never even so much as been charged but whatever. He said nothing wrong in either interview but because he isn't liked, people will look for anything, he could be helping a little old lady cross the street and someone will bash him for walking her to fast. Just say you don't like the guy and stop making **** up that he is doing wrong.

25. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!: