1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben retiring?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well we don't know that yet do we but how may coaches are successful without a QB?

As for Cowher, he also benefited from being able to keep his rookies longer and build up depth. He also benefited from being one of the only teams running a 3-4 defense and having his pick of LB's to fill that scheme. He goy by without a QB because he was able to field a great defense and keep it stocked.

But remind me how many SB's did Bill win before Ben showed up?

2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Okay, your right, Cowher was able to field great defenses without having great QB before Ben. But if we dont have Ben now, we got no offense and not a great defense. I pity the day this coaching staff dosent have Ben, and what this team will do. I think their weakness will show up real fast.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Don't USC quarterbacks scare you? They do me. Who was the last good Trojan QB in the league, and don't say Carson Palmer, I can't think of a more overrated QB than him. Winners aren't coming out of USC.

4. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Interesting article on Palmer, Leinart and Sanchez.

5. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    What baggage are you referring to? I pay cursory attention to other teams/players. However, I have not heard of Kaepernick having off-field issues/drama.

6. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    If this is what he is trying to accomplish, then he has chosen a poor way to do it. He is putting too much out into the media. He might as well be FB live with it.

7. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    And he's not wrong. They didn't. For all that has been said, if Coates and Hamilton pull in those deep balls and TD passes, then that would have been a completely different game. If the O-Line would have made the push after Jesse James catch at the goal line, then it would have been a different game.

If all of those plays had been made, then the Steelers likely win the game. Even if they made just half of those plays then it would have at least been competitive.

I'll give it to Bell: He went out there and tried with a groin injury. But that's just the kind of guy he is. He wants to play. He wants the ball.

On defense, I can't call it. I'm hearing that the CBs were getting eaten up when the coaches tried man coverage plays. I need to go back a re-watch the game to tell. It's too early for me to view that game again. The zone coverage was based on the rushers getting to Brady and that didn't happen. You can beat Brady with zone coverage but your rushers have to get there in about 3 seconds. I'm guessing at the time. I know Brady can get that ball out in an average under 3 seconds so there are probably a good amount of plays in which 3+ seconds are required (3rd and long, etc.). Bud Dupree couldn't get past his man for most of the game. My point is that the rookies probably were not ready to face Brady and the Pats. Hell, they even had Mitchell fooled on the flea flicker and he's a vet in the league. As most have said, that was just a good play.

So, on offense and defense, the young players just didn't get it done. Ben isn't wrong about that.

However, I think this experience will sit with the young guys and they will be made better for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    I like what I saw from Eli Rogers.

9. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    Preach.

10. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Me too I think he can do well in this system. Would like to see more of what he can do for the PS. He seems to have a good sense, speed and good hands.

12. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Would you guys spend a 1st rd pick on someone like Kizer if they're there at pick 30? I would.

13. tbrucemom

tbrucemom Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't think Ben will retire, but we do need to think about drafting a QB to back him up and take over in a couple years. I would love for them to get DeShaun Watson but they'd have to trade up a lot to get him. I do think it would be worth it though. Without a really good QB we'll be the team we were before we drafted Ben.

14. tbrucemom

tbrucemom Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    If the Steelers signed either Romo or Kaepernick I don't think I could support them anymore albeit for different reasons. Romo is a choke artist and I just couldn't root for a former Cowboy. Kaepernick is a POS and I vowed if he played for my team I wouldn't support them. Some things are bigger than football, even my beloved Steelers.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben has not been right his legs are all but gone ..I have seen this coming and all have said I am crazy ..He might decide to play 1 more year that's all I see him playing...I bet he will have to have 2 surgeries one on his knee and 1 on his shoulder because he threw it out because of the knee...

16. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Cowher made it to a Super Bowl without Ben and lost. Neil was not a Super Bowl or star caliber quarterback in my opinion. They made it to the Super on defense and Cowhers ability of being a good to above a good coach in my opinion. I would hate to see where are team would be right now without Ben. No way would they have the success Cowher had without Ben.

17. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Frick32

Frick32 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Apples to Oranges my friend...What was the ratio of Neil's pay to salary cap compared to Ben's?? Cowher (love him) was using all the cap money on defense...in fact you can say he really never paid the QB top money as Ben was in his rookie contract the 3 years Cowher coached him.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This. I said it that even if we had the right gameplan we likely couldn't stop them. We can't generate pressure with 3-4 guys like Denver, Baltimore did. Blitzing him is stupid, and their coaching exploits weaknesses and mismatches.

Our offense needs to get more explosive and consistent.

Defense just needs experience plus 1-2 splash players to be elite.

Keep the core guys and let's go for that final push next year

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Me too, like what I saw from Rodgers, my biggest grip with the play calling this year is I didnt think we used him enough and tried too hard at times to go downfield deep, especially to Coates and on 3 and 1 yard to go. At times Ben didnt look his way.

21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yes I am surprised they tried the long shots . I have not seen the numbers but I am guessing the success rate probably did not justify the risk

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Throwing deep to a player who is known to drop passes vs a team that rarely makes mistakes on arguably the biggest game when you only need 1 yard...

That play showed me we lost

23. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    This is years in the making. If I had to guess, he already tried doing it the "right way" long ago...

24. BlacknGold40

BlacknGold40 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I have a feeling Ben is going to give them a ultimatum. Make some changes to help us beat the Pats or I'm walking. I'm 45 years old and this in the worst AFCCG lost that I can remember. My God that was embarrassing.

25. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    And if Ben wasn't here at this time or when he does go and if we still have this defense that is less than Cowhers defense, our Steelers will be in trouble. Ben is the reason our team is on the map.