1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben retiring?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Jan 24, 2017.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If you can get a somewhat proven player for a second isn't that better than a crap shoot for a first?

2. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He wasn't talking about retirement before last season. If he's hurting and the team is lacking I say he just rides out the rest of next season. At least this talk should make pitts draft a qb or see who's available after next year.

3. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I am not using a first on a QB either. Not at 30.

I have seen to many other former PAT QB's out and around the rest of the league fall flat on their face after looking all world in NE. Jimmy G has not proven anything to me.

Off the top of my head I can't recall one trade that the Patriots didnt get the better end of the deal with. Maybe a few that worked out even..but none that they lost out on.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  5. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Even in the division I would take that trade...The Bengals would be foolish to offer it...but AJ Green and Brown....that would be the most loaded team in the league....even with Ginger at QB.

HACK

6. fer69

fer69 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Is Tomlin that stupid? SMDH!

“Ben said it so you do take it seriously. I'M NOT ALARMED BY IT, that’s football. Obviously, I’m hopeful he returns,”

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    This, didnt he also say during the year something about them not very disiplined during practices and another time about too hard of practices causing injuries? Seems like like there are locker room issues and he thinks changes need to be made.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I think Ben just mentioned retirement so TSF had an interesting topic to debate and draw out scenarios during the long offseason. It's cool!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you can do that without stomping your feet, pouting and threatening to go home. And to me, that's what he sounds like. There are much more professional ways to do this, and the media is not the place.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Tank the season for Sam Darnold USC :smiley1:. Two sport athlete basketball/ football like Ben. I know some of you Penn State guys watched that cool customer torch them in the Rose Bowl;)

11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Oh no on Bortles, his hitch is so bad I dont think it would ever get fixed. He drops his passing hand and ball below his waist before throwing, thats why he throws so many interceptions. The Jags even brought in QB guro's to try to fix him and couldnt help him. He is big and strong, but stupid.

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    And this fall in who's lap? Yea, we know...

13. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't expect Ben to retire. Might he be sending a message, so say, "Hey, I won't always be here, clean up the locker room?" Perhaps. Look at Carl Edwards' for those of you that follow NASCAR. He's rich and healthy. So, he retired. Ben has a family and plenty of money. Perhaps, that's enough for him. He was the youngest QB to win a superbowl. Our dreams (at least mine) of him being the oldest ever to win a superbowl aren't really realistic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We had the "best rb" on our roster only for that game. He barely saw the field and apparently knew that he was hurt in warm ups to the point that it was gonna be bad. So he was pretty much a complete non factor. I would kill to know if he could have at least been used in a Terrell Davis capacity. He must be hurt a lot worse than we know.

15. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Obtaining a quality QB via draft or trade should have been in the plans of the FO already. With Ben's plans officially in question, there's no doubt the organization has to take action.

I think we all have appreciated what #7 has done and what he may still have left for us if he decides to continue to play.

But he's put the organization on notice. It's in a good place with a lot of good pieces. Let's hope some important moves are made correctly. We want to continue to enjoy competitive football while we groom our next signal caller or get that F/A up to speed with what we need from him.

Remember, Ben was just a "game manager" for a good portion of his career and Pittsburgh was quite successful.

16. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Kent Graham was the bees knees, I tell ya, the bees knees

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If you had earned, and with investments have the potential to max it at around 100 million, and you were weighing it against 20 million more giving up 10-15 years of your life and being able not to walk in your 70s....

18. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think he wants to make sure that he has Brown and Bell until he retires in 2-3 years. Getting Antonio Bryant back will be a huge plus for the O. He is sending a load and clear message to the front office in a nice way.

19. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Well obviously he isn't above criticism; I have criticized him too. I misworded my statement. What I should have said was no intelligent people here are for the firing of Mike Tomlin. Criticism? Oh hell yeah.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steelers Sideline

Steelers Sideline Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    He will be back...but he might retire after another SB win and try to go out on top. We have another great chance to make a SB run next year

21. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Disagree (without pegging you for it). If I had 100 million and had the chance to make 60-80 more while doing the thing I love the most while improving my legacy, I'd do it. But that's just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Richard Seymour

23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Who is this Antonio Bryant you speak of?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    IMO a 2nd for Garoppolo is a steal. That kid can play and has been learning from Brady for several years. You are not getting a better QB in the 2nd round than he is. Oh, and he's young. Not sure how much he would cost, but if they can afford him, that's a trade they should do even if Ben is coming back.

25. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    It's not a lack of leadership, it's just the state of social media that we live in. If Ben is serious about retirement, he needs to discuss it with Tomlin and Art Rooney II at his exit interview, that hasn't happened yet. It just so happens his weekly radio show happens first. The Steelers can then form proper contingency plans. All this is is a wake up call to the organization that Ben may not finish all 3 years of his contract. He'll play in 2017. ESPN also stated that if Ben retires now, he'll owe the organization $18 million.