1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben retiring?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Jan 24, 2017.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  2. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Dang, just read that....probably not but perhaps the window is smaller than I thought

3. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I just got The Score update saying he won't commit to next season. Man I hope this isn't true. I get it if he does though, he's been beat to hell over his career but this team is REALLY close to another SB. I don't see him walking away yet, I think more ride is in store.

Regardless, it's time to draft a QB NOW.

4. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Maybe he is trying to help Landry get a nice new contract.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I don't blame him.. Team full of divas and incompetent coaches. No way he doesn't give it 1 more year with the o-line and talent we got. But like someone said the window is apparently a lot smaller then we thought. If Ben is only playing one more year then definitely make AB honor his contract.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Just read this. If true expect some down years till we find a qb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I would be shocked to see Ben retire. If this were a 6-10 team or a team that was a few years from competing, I could maybe see it.

But who knows, he's been one dinged up guy in his career, he might be getting tired of it.

8. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Yeah remember 1983 to 2004, Like 21 years.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Luckily I was born in 85 so I got miss some of the pain

10. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Hey me too!

• Like Like x 1
  11. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Listen to me, kids: you don't wanna experiencie it.

Several people from here can tell you horror stories about that span.

• Agree Agree x 10
  12. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
  13. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    He probably is getting fed up with the locker room and immature players doing stupid stuff time and time again. I don't see Ben stepping down yet but I won't be surprised if he plays out his contract through 2019 and is done at that point. If anything the front office and Tomlin should hear those comments and really feel a strong sense of urgency to do whatever it takes to try and win a Super Bowl in the next 3 years.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Just another case where this team needs a media blackout, except what's mandated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    He's not retiring. What a drama queen.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    If he was coming off an injury plagued season, considering retirement would make sense. Perhaps he is just doing the prudent thing and keeping options open like he said in the interview.............but I have no doubt in my mind that a lack of desire to win at all costs from younger players and perhaps inadequate coaching is making him consider retirement as well.

This is a statement to the team that they need to take things more seriously. From top to bottom. It is clear that there is lots of room to improve in that department, based on their lack of preparation among bad opponents that they should easily beat, and obviously their lack of preparation against the Patriots. Hell, they wouldn't have even been in the game had Bos not made a record 6 field goals against the Chiefs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    I usually ponder retirement at the end of each year. Then I realize that I can't.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    This team is turning into a $*** show. Your hall of fame QB making the playoffs two years in a row doesn't ponder retirement all of a sudden for no reason. Remember earlier in the year when he said he didn't know what the problem was, whether it was the players OR COACHES?

You don't see Tom Brady uttering a word about retirement because him and their other veterans don't have to deal with the constant distractions because their coaching staff is in charge

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Calling him a "drama queen" really isn't fair and is pretty ignorant IMO. I'm not sure there is a QB in the league that has taken more punishment than he has and played as long as he has. We don't know how sore and banged up he really is. In college I had my knee banged up pretty good wrestling, nothing compared to what Ben has gone through and each day I'm reminded of it because my knee is stiff, cracks, pops and is sore. Is there a joint he hasn't had injured in his career? I'm sure every morning is a reminder of every hit/injury he's had.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    He isn't retiring this year..... He'll be back for 2017. It isn't about the money either. He already has pocketed more NFL money than any player in history. He'll only pocket 12mil next season.

He'll stay one more season because of the chase for the ring!!! He has a solid OL protecting him, a great RB and solid WRs.

Cajun

22. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Maybe it's closer than we think and why he asked for Brady's jersey.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Looks like our years without Ben is coming upon us faster than we think.

24. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Rd 1 DeShawn watson

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I suspect that is a combination of being tired and being frustrated.

Non the less, it is a bone head comment to make now and shows a continued lack of leadership and professionalism.

If he does decide to come back, then this tops all of his other drama queen stunts.

If he does retire, and basically gave the organization and his so called teammates no opportunity for proper succession, then shame on him. That is beyond selfish. Yes he has a right to retire. No he does not have the right to screw the people who made him. No one does.

Between this and his comments about the young receivers, he is showing no signs of leadership.

Good QB, yes. Very good QB, probably. Team leader, no.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1