1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

BEN REALLY?....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by defva, Oct 19, 2011.

1. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You start off on fire and then missed at least three td passes to wide open rcvrs.You only practice with pads one day a week so you and the recvr corp should be able to practice on your own.Get familiar and get your timing down.We leave too many points on the field.We can get away with this against weaker teams but not against the bonefide teams.

2. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He'll be fine.

He plays better as the weather gets uglier.

3. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Although I agree with you that I think he'll be fine, the weather was cited as a cause for the second half issues...

4. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think he wishes he was throwing those to Wallace, who I think is a bit faster.

5. jsinohio

jsinohio Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Although, he underthrows to Wallace about as often.... :(

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Apparently the wind was getting a hold of them, I definitely saw that on at least one pass. He needs to put more zip on it. But numbah58 was referring to cold weather. Ben seems to play better with gloves on.

7. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

:thumbsup:

8. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So play with gloves on who cares if it helps him.

9. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm with you on this defva....something wasn't right in the 2nd half vs. Jags.

Both Hines Ward and Tomlin mentioned that the Jaguars made some "adjustments" and "mixed up coverages" in the second half. Perhaps our struggles were the result of the Jags making changes and our unwillingness to try new strategy. Sometimes I feel like we go into a game with a plan and are too stubborn to alter it if it isn't working. Now I'm no Patriots fan, but one thing they do and do well is adjust to their competition's strategy/personnel/etc. To me, that's what separates dominant teams from good teams.

I'd like the Steelers to be dominant.

10. bigplaywillygay

bigplaywillygay Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Even though there were some long passes that didn't connect the same old bad situational play call reared its ugly head. I don't know how many times my dad and I knew exactly what set was going to be used on 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 3. 5 wide outs empty backfield, wideouts run 15+ yards down field resulting in a Ben sack. So many times the drives die because of this call.

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I just heard something intersting on ESPN Radio this morning.They were talking to Mark Schlereth about Tebow he was saying how Tebow is a sight passer at this point in his career and he mentioned Ben being the same way early on.This has always been a complaint of mine,that there are very rarely any timing type routes used in this offense,which with the speed we have with our WR corp would be deadly. This is one of the reasons that Brady is so effective,besides the usual great protection.He gets rid of the ball by throwing to a spot. Do you guys/gals feel Ben is capable of this? If not, then who is to blame for his lack of progression? or is it just because we choose not to use this style of attack,which I feel is a big mistake! This is the primary reason why our Bombs Away B.A. plan is holding this offense back.When you are sending everyone deep and Ben has to wait till his man actually gets open this is why he takes so many sacks.The line can't hold up for that long. Thoughts?

12. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    there have been times when WRs have run the wrong routes with Ben essentially throwing to a spot. eliminating the 3rd and short, empty set, with 15 yard patterns would help tremendously. the TN game shows it can be done.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You're preaching to the choir.Now if only a certain someone(B.A.) would realize what works and what doesn't ,we would be on our way to something greater than the inconsistent performances week in and week out.