1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben not allowed to audible

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bleednblackngold, Jan 17, 2018.

1. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    From the report I read on Haley leaving it claimed Ben said he was not allowed to audible out of Haley's plays. It also claimed this rule came directly from Tomlin.

So, Tomlin hamstrung his HOF QB into either running a play that maybe no longer suited the D front or calling timeout

Explains why no QB sneak's by Ben on 4th and 1's

If true, this is infuriating, and puts it over the edge for me. I want Tomlin gone!

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    This doesn't make sense. Can you post the article link?

3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That just can’t be true, can it?

4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I doubt that this is true in the slightest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bleednblackngold

Oct 25, 2015
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I really wish people would include links. It’s not that hard and only takes seconds.

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You got it right.

9. bleednblackngold

Oct 25, 2015
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats absolutely not true. As others have stated, hes talking about QB sneak.

But even that is stupid. They need to put that in the playbook so he can audible into it at the line.

Or just call it in the huddle to begin with, I cant remember ever seeing a QB get hurt running it.

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Who needs a friggin play call for that!! Nudge Pouncey in the jewels and have that be your sign. All Ben has to do is follow Pouncey.

Boom done.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think this is referring to Ben not being able to audible out of that particular play.

What I don't like about this is that Ben is throwing his coaching staff - i.e. his team - under the bus, again. I find it very interesting that it's not okay for Bell/Brown/etc. to do this. Yet, there is nowhere near the uproar on the board when Ben pulls crap like this. He's the QB and default leader of the offense. He's also a 35-year-old vet with 2 Super Bowl rings. He should behave to a higher level of integrity. Keep that stuff in-house.

Ben threw out just enough to implicate issues with the coaches. He did not give the entire story.

If people think NFL coaches make those kinds of decisions in those situations without strategic reason, then they're not paying attention.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I was under the impression that if they lined up in the QB sneak lineup.... there wouldn't be a way to audible out of it because of personnel etc. QB sneak can't really audible to 5 wide outs and a 30 yard bomb, you'd be somewhat limited to QB sneak or RB run up the middle.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He got tired of people calling him a liar and accusing him of refusing to run the QB sneak.

He said Tomlin laughs at him when he broaches the subject with him saying Ben youre not spring chicken. Really? WTF. They deserve to be thrown under the bus.

And can we stop with this guy cant be criticized or that guy isnt criticized stuff, its all bs, everyone gets piled on.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Bell and Brown are doing dumb things that have nothing to do with the actual game. Ben is pointing out a blunder that might have been the difference between winning and losing the game, and other games too. And what he's pointing out is an obvious blunder that should be considered basic fundamental football. The Steelers have to be the only team in the league that doesn't have a QB sneak audible, or at least in the minority of teams.

16. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    It is detrimental to do this and not keep it in-house. That destroys a team atmosphere. None of them should be tearing each other down to the media.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Ben after the game said that's dangerous because then the rest of the line doesn't know.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Sometimes making things public is the only way to get results. If they put the QB sneak in next year, well worth it.

19. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    But that's not what he said. What he effectively said is, "I want to do it, but they won't let me. I know you guys want the QB Sneak, too. But they won't allow it. Don't look at me. Blame them."

That's a destructive move toward a team environment.

The appropriate message would look like, "Perhaps a QB Sneak is appropriate here, and it's something we should talk about. We weren't ready for that eventuality in this game, and it cost us."

20. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    And create more locker room drama. The ROI may net in the negative. Only time will tell.

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That sounds like more lies.

22. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    Agree to disagree.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I havent seen any evidense of locker room drama from what Ben says on his show. Dont see anyone calling him out like DD and AV calling out the true locker room knuckleheads.

Bens methods also helped remove Haley, Im sure there are several teammates happy with that. I know I am.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I have my critiques of Ben, this isnt one of them.

24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It does bother me that Ben comes clean on this but won't admit that he has a problem with Haley. Unless Ben was waiting for Haley to be :wave: before he spills.

25. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Ben needs so stop turning the ball over. We gave them a 14 point spot with the pick and fumble. He is a vet and should know that turnovers are costly in the playoffs. That issue should have stayed in the locker room.

• Agree Agree x 1