1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Mentoring Mason...uh No!!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers5895, May 23, 2018.

1. steelers5895

steelers5895 Member

May 1, 2018
    I apologize if this was discussed, I am new to this board.

I see the news reports are saying Ben changed his tune and is taking Mason under his wing. Hey that's great and all but I want our QB concentrating on his job and getting in sync with McDonald who he didn't have much playing time with, Washington who is a rookie and Justin Hunter who just moved up the depth chart rather than spending time with Mason Rudolph. Ben also is learning the changes with having a new OC. Yes, he wasn't brought in off the street but there will be wrinkles and changes that offense needs to learn.

Let the coaches worry about Mason Rudolph. He may not be the replacement down the road and unless Landry is cut, at best he is our #3.

We are a championship team with the window closing so all concentration needs to be on that.

Drives me nuts when fans throw out how this player has to mentor that one and this one. Heard it a million times how Harrison will mentor JOnes and Dupree and Watt. How that work out. All three are below average (jury still out on Watt) and Harrison was cut last year.

Focus Ben...Focus!!!

2. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The idea of taking a QB while your veteran is still playing well is the ideal scenario. Mentoring isn't taking focus away from Ben, in fact it probably adds more focus, he is showing Rudolph the ropes and at the same time he is probably extra motivated to play at his absolute best. He knows a few bad games and fans will want to see the new guy, I think it is a great scenario.

I also think the media was really pushing a narrative based on nothing so they have something to talk about and fill air time. Rudolph is the future and needs to learn the pro game but he doesn't help the team right now, the Steelers didn't get wheat they needed in the draft and I think Ben knows it so the offense will need to be great every game if they are to make the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Who says they didn't get what they needed? Ben? Since when is Ben a defensive coordinator? How's he know what they need? The team is quite happy with the players they took. They like the players they still have. They want to see other players they drafted get on the field too. What is it exactly they didn't get? Is it they didn't get what the common fan wanted? As for Ben mentoring the new guy, well it's not like he's his coach and is taking every minute to teach this kid. It's a matter of a couple of pointers here and there which in all reality helps Ben focus on what the kid is seeing on the field, not his mechanic's at every step. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If Ben went fishing with minnows and was catching fish with every cast someone would scream he needs to switch to night crawlers.:rolleyes:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Sometimes you learn more when you are in a position to teach! I think that is a Chinese proverb or maybe I just made it up?

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    "Ben mentoring Mason" could mean giving advice.

For instance: "don't get in my way, rookie."

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe both? Are you Chinese? :hmm:

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Just a thought, but if you are teaching someone isn’t that the equivalent of mental reps? That is a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If Ben is mentoring Mason, he's taking away from his own preparation and will hurt the team. If Ben is not mentoring Mason, he's a selfish bastard who cares about himself more than the team. Win/win for the haters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ben: Mason the most important thing you need to learn is to watch what guys eat at lunch time.

Mason: Why? To learn good nutrition?

Ben: Nope Pouncey has a spot on his left but cheek that will crop dust you everytime, Decastro eats beans at lunch and gets the walking farts, Ramon sounds like a model T when his probiotic kicks in and the tackles are like fog machines

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Off point, but it's nice to know we can get away with "bastard" here. I remember getting dots when someone's name had the letters a.s.s. in a row.

13. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Who says you can't do both? Sometimes, teaching others actually hones your own skills. It happens all the time; teaching others fires up your own passion to master your craft.

14. steelers5895

steelers5895 Member

May 1, 2018
    Come on all I heard was this is great, Ben can mentor him, blah blah blah. if mason learns from ben it was unintentional. Not spun the way fans and media spun it as Ben will make a point to teach. He BETTER learn from Ben on his own or he will be a wasted pick for sure.

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It really isn't Ben's responsibility to show Mason the ropes. That job is for himself with the guidance of the coaches. Mason actually acknowledged that.

There was never an actual indication that Ben wasn't going to help out anyways. The comment he made was in a jestful manner, and it should have been obvious.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't trust Ben ..he's going to sabatosh Mason. What can he teach Mason? ..how to hold onto the ball for too long.. .don't throw it away throw it in triple coverage instead.. don't check down receivers,, if the play calls for Brown ...throw it to him even if he is covered by 8 players

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Sabatosh?

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Corn and Lima beans I think?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    How long have you been a Steelers fan? Did you ever watch, or live through the QB play after Bradshaw? The Steelers had a dominant o-line with a ground attack that was just hard to stop and they had a defense that was just lights out yet no SBs for over 2 decades, why? Did the team just get that much better when Ben had to start over an injured Maddox?

Ben has flaws, most QBs have something but what you may not remember is the first part of Ben's career is the way he played actually helped the team win because the Steelers had the worst o-line in the league, and it has been written countless times about it being the worst o-line to win a SB. I can't imagine how many SBs would have been won had the Steelers had even a game manager type QB during those years not to mention the caliber of QB the team has now.

You have your opinion and I respect that and I don't like a lot of things he does but without him we win 3 games, maybe 4 at best. I'm guessing you never saw Kent Graham paly, he had a game that he threw for 254 yards which was the best effort by a Steelers QB in more than 2 years at the time.

I watched the Steelers from the mid 70s until the present, I've saw a defense that wasn't good for a time in the mid 80s and again in the late 90s but they have been rebuilt time and time again. The Steelers really were a running team as the QB play was never really good, anyone who watched Bubby Brister play knows the feeling of wanting a game manager.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    You just made it up jeh LOL. I was teaching Microsoft office and they had just switched to Office 2007. I was having trouble getting use to the ribbon. Right in the middle of a PowerPoint presentation I was giving, it hit me. Everything was still there just look across the ribbon, not a dropdown menu. Trashed the presentation, opened a word doc and showed them the ribbon. Easy Peezy.

21. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Its like an Apple.. Ben is going to make apple sauce out of mason..
    Hopefully the new OC is not like Arians or Ben will be watching Mason play this season..
    Haley made sure Ben stayed safe and clean in the pocket.

22. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was watching this show while typing "Sabotage" http://www.cc.com/shows/tosh I heard Tosh at the same time

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly

24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We are doomed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member