1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Leaning Towards Coming Back

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 18, 2017.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't think thats true he hasn't given up. bens still a competitor, but it would make it a lot easier. :cool:

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not saying he has given up like that ..I am saying him and this Team now fear the demon that is the Pats and Brady no matter what they say in public...My point is I think he doesn't know if all the pain and time is worth a shot at them ? I am sure he would like one at home , but I don't see him wanting to end his career in that Stadium...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hence, giving it his all.

4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    So a guy has been hit his whole career, is now getting older and the hits are catching up to him and he wants to rest so he can keep playing(in the games when it matters) and that means he isn't giving it his all??? Let me say that this thread and discussion has been about Ben not giving it hi all, you and a few others have been pointing this out. NO way in heck is Ben not giving it 100% NO WAY!!!!! Now is he not practicing like he did when he was younger, yeah your right. Is he playing hurt yeah he is and most of the time when other QB's would not even try. All this talk have me so pissed it isn't even funny. No offense to any poster here you all have your opinions and I respect that however I will strongly disagree with all who thinks Ben hasn't given his all out there. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    thats a league wide demon and has been for years pwp. not just for pittsburgh. :cool:

6. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    His quote came from a very open and honest speech he gave at Liberty. He spoke about losing his soul during those early years and letting his family down. It was a side of Ben we don't often see. I don't read much into it about being intentional, drama queen, etc, and I'm not a Ben apologist.

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Tue but in his prime Ben didn't mind it I don't think ..Having a power house opponent nearing the end of a career has to have a negative effect on his willingness to continue...Those 1 away games can do more damage than not even making the playoffs for older players imo..

8. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    "I don't know.... i mean, that Patriots are such a powerhouse that I'd rather pay 18 million dollars back to the Rooneys NOT to play football, rather than collect 12 million to play. Yes... the Patriots have mentally ****ed me so hard that I am considering choosing to lose 30 million dollars"

to believe that narrative... well, it makes Ben into a Drama Goddess

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Sorry not meaning to get you all upset ..Let me try this another way ..Because he is older,because he is beat up is exactly why he needs more practice so he doesn't have to extend plays so he can avoid the hits and get the ball out quicker...More weight training and proper diet would also have him in better shape..So if he is not wiling to do those things we will see a decline in his play and with that decline you will also see a guy who's Love for the game will diminish with every hit..

The proof is in the thinking of Retiring .The more he thinks the more it seems his Love for the game might already be gone...

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It's not just the Pats it's that coupled with his body and mind ...I don't think he looked right physically and we know he ain't exactly right mentally or he wouldn't even be talking the way he is...

What is it going to take for him to get right physically and mentally and is he willing to put in the work ? I don't think he will..He will take the money and have a horrid season I fear..

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    PWP, I am not upset I love these discussions I am fired up..lol! I disagree with all you say here, Ben is Ben. He will always try to extend the play cause he is a gamer, when that stops doing that, that is when you can say he has a foot out the door. The other thing is Ben has never been a guy to take care of his body, he does what he has to do to just get ready for the next week. He always has and always will, that don't mean he is giving up or playing half hearted.

The bottom line is Ben has taken a ton of hits over his career, the last few years under Haley he has been one of the least hit. He has never been a "physical specimen" so his body is breaking down due to years of punishment and him getting older. He needs rest not more training, all thru the league older guys take days off it is common.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Fair enough I think he should train harder and give more so he can play better..If not he will look bad fairly quick IMO..

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Agreed but that should have happened 10 years ago not now, I am not gonna deny he should take better care of himself but that is his decision. That don't affect his effort he gives on the field. JMO

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Tomlin isn't going anywhere, nor is now the time someone replaces a coach. There are always good candidates early in every off season. Tomlin seems like a great person though I don't like him as a coach. I think Ben has some issues inside the locker room that involve a lack of team discipline. I certainly do. I put that on the HC. Just how I feel...

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the training with new receivers is a must for timing and brings a comfort level that won't be there if he doesn't. not just a comfort level for him but also the receiver. it has a ripple effect throughout the offense if he doesn't. hence the part i talked about earlier in this thread of ben liking who hes most comfortable with.

i remember about 3 years ago he was working in cali in the off season with some of the receivers. if he's going to play and we are going to get over this hump, he has to work on that aspect of the game because our receivers are changing and they have to get on the same page.

it's too hard to do just in camp and during the season.

for one during the week he takes an extra day off, and the rest is mostly to game plan for that week.

two, he doesn't play much in preseason with these guys under game conditions. there has to be this type of effort put forth from him. it's not just about him and his part of the game at his age that is worrisome, but it affects the others too and as the leader of the offense it is up to him to give that effort to do this. :cool:

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But it does affect his ability to be effective with that effort.

Funny, but during the season I made this suggestion and some illiterate became unglued.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought he's been doing that every year?

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i haven't heard of him doing that in some time. :cool:

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Some of you guys act like just because he don't play in preseason or takes a day off during the week it is the end all. To me I think no matter what is said you all are gonna believe what you want on Ben.

Show me one starting QB, old or young that plays a lot in the preseason. Ben gets his time with these guys, and to think missing one day a week is gonna change that, well that nuts. Again it happens all the time on every team.

I think this thread is changing direction, I chimed in cause some said Ben had played like he was half way out the door or half hearted. That is where I am going with my comments. I am not going to go back and forth with you guys about Ben health or days off cause at the end of the day look at the stats they show it don't affect him. And what does affect him is the fact that maybe this year he played without his starting big play TE, or his #2 WR and his #3 WR and even sometimes his #4 WR. So if you guys think Ben needs to spend more time practicing with his #2 & # TE's and his #5 & 6 WR's I can't disagree with that but I won't fault him for that........

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    wow talk about missing the whole point.:cool:

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Best comparison to Ben in age and seasons played is Carson Palmer, age 37 playing his 15th season and is on the top 5 most sacked and hit QB list in 2016, and Palmer wasn't sure he would play again this season, he said he couldn't commit until he saw how his body would respond in the off season he is going to return for 1 more season but behind the poor Oline play he had last year he had one of his worst seasons and in one game alone against the vikings he was sacked 4 times and was hit 17 times, Ben has much better protection and if he took the beating palmer had last year i'm pretty sure ben would have hung up his cleats. This is Palmers last season and behind a typical Arians Oline hopefully carson wont end his career in the operating room....

Arizona Sports:
    Palmers 62.8 percent of plays under pressure is the most any quarterback has dealt with over the entire NFL season to this point. In Monson’s more subjective opinion, it’s a “ludicrous” figure."

22. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I`m not sure what the whole "point" of this thread was, but here are my 2 cents..

Ben will be back this year, and probably next, if somehow we DON`T win the SB this year...

Move on, nothing to see here, much ado about nuthin..:shrug:

If we do... I dunno?

He still might want a chance to tie Terry with 4...

Yes, he`s getting older, and feeling the effects of the hits he`s taken...

I didn`t know that his wife was a physical therapist.

That might factor into his decision a bit, and I am sure he is thinking about his family life...

"The kids are only young once", and I wanna spend time with them and her, and all that...

That only makes sense.

He is human, and has enough money already to live comfortably for the rest of his life.

And set up his great-grandkids to be well taken care of.
    Nothing wrong with that line of thinking...

I don`t believe his "love for the game" has diminished...

I believe he will still give it his all, as long as he is on the field...

And I call bull**** on the line of thought that he is scared of the Cheatriots...

I think he would like nothing better than to beat them on the road to the Lombardi...

I`m not sure why we laid the egg that we did at the end of last season,
    but I sure as hell am not blaming it on him alone...
    Our whole team, played like they didn`t care, in the biggest game of the year, to that point...
    I have no explanation for that.:puking 5:

Anyhow...

We WILL have Ben next year, and a strong surrounding cast, to go with him, and probably for the year after that...

After that???

I think we`re gonna have to find his replacement, and I`m pretty damn sure his name ain`t Landry Jones...:shrug:

GO STEELERS!!!:herewego!:

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Ben's a gamer through and through no point in questioning that. Sure, I wish he was half the gym rat silverback is as it would probably only be beneficial starting a few years back after head butting moving vehicles and such hahhahahaha

But he is not, and he's the best option available and one of the best options available as far as the rest of the league is concerned. He is in 95% club... 95% better than the rest IMO lets goooooooo

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011

I agree with you about the offseason time spent with the receivers/tightends/runningbacks...
    Although, I think he has earned the right to "slack"(for lack of a better word), on that aspect of his "professionalism"..

He has become a family man, at the Rooney`s suggestion, to become a better person, and that entails some sacrifices, from his "professional" duties, to attend to his family, when he can..
    During the season, the wife and kids, take somewhat of a backseat to his career, as is neccesary, for him to continue earning them a good living...

I will give him a pass for that.

As to the words in red..

I think that is on Tomlin...

He seemed to be kind of shell-shocked by injuries the last two years, and rested pretty much ALL of his starters, in the preseason last year...

I`m not saying I agree, or disagree with him, but I can understand his thinking.

He wants his guys to be healthy for the games that count.
    No point risking injuries in a meaningless game, esp when you have a lot of veteran guys that have spent time together before, on the field at full speed, and are comfortable with each other, or have plenty of game experience, at their positions...

That`s a whole other conversation.

I only bring it up, to say, It`s not really Ben`s choice...

It`s the coach`s...
    and if Ben said...
    "Ya know what, Y`all, I`d really like to be out on the field during the preseason, getting some work in with the young guys that I might have to throw the ball to, during the season, due to injuries, but Mike won`t let me"...

Everyone on this board would ***** at him for "throwing the coach under the bus"...

And I think they would be right...

So, Ben (and almost all the other starters on the team) are sitting out the preseason games, on coach`s orders.

Kinda makes sense to me, but it is debatable.

What`s not debatable is that it is not Ben`s choice, not to play in the pre-season...
    Just felt the need to clarify that...

GO STEELERS!

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    this is all well and good. i understand why all these things happen, but at the same time we were talking about him having all these different receivers he's not familiar with. there is only one way to get familiar with them and thats time honing they're craft. it's hard to ***** about it on one hand and then defend it on the other hand. reps are both guys and the teams friend. thats all i'm saying. i'm not picking at ben about it just stating a fact. at some point as the leader of this team he has to make that decision of whats best for both. is that drive still there to do that is the question. :cool: