1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Leaning Towards Coming Back

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 18, 2017.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If close to giving the game up he might not have as much will as he has in the past?You probably need to prepare to see that ...

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Maybe but I guess it is all in prespective. I don't think the comments have have the merit that a lot of people do. We live in a social media time when every little thing an athlete says gets blown out. My feeling is he don't like what happened with our defense, he is taking a shot at Bell and I think him and Haley don't have the same opinion of the game plan. I think this is a play on Ben's part to get more power in the game plan, jmo no facts.

3. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Draft a QB and see how fast he is at work

• Like Like x 1
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Those are all fair points and possible reasons for him to act the way he is ...imo I think he is banged up pretty bad ...He just didn't look right to me most of the year...He has never been a workout guy or a guy who has a good diet ..The older he gets the more this will show , he may not want to suffer the physical pain or do the day to day work that he needs to do anymore??

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Already saw that last year, eh?

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would say we did ..He didn't seem to have the same fire as in the past to me...He also looked like a defeated guy when he was getting up from getting knocked down..Not sure if that was physical or mental or both..

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah it's Tomlin's fault Ben plays like crap in road games :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    that's it!!!!! fire Colbert..... blow it all up and start over again

Is sam hinkie available???

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I must have watched a different Steelers team cause the one I watched had the same BB. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't know about that. Players are human just like the rest of us. At one time Ben didn't give his full effort on and off the field.

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Please feel free to point out which game that was cause I will tell you what I can't remember one. Ben has played bad in games but not giving his full effort that is something different. I will stick up for Ben on this point, I will also crush him on others.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Hear more chest beating from the Tomlin detractor group as well...

... Oh well..., it is bound to happen at some point anyway.

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

With due respect, is there an alternative you can point out for replacing Tomlin?

14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The writer at NFL.com summed it up best:

It's not all that believable, though, to think Roethlisberger would abruptly hang it up after his Steelers team put things together in the second half of the season, winning the AFC North and two playoff games before falling to the Patriots. The return of Antonio Brown on a new contract, a healthy Le'Veon Bell and Martavis Bryant (who's awaiting reinstatement) has to make it even more difficult to consider retirement. And we can't forget the fact Pittsburgh doesn't really have much of a contingency plan for life without Roethlisberger beyond backup Landry Jones, who isn't inspiring much confidence.

This little "will he, won't he" -- vaguely reminiscent of Brett Favre's final half-decade of his career -- should serve as a friendly message to
    Steelers management, which would be wise to explore a reality without the future Hall of Fame quarterback before it's suddenly too late.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    You never how the 1st round of the draft will play out. If I'm Kevin Colbert and Coach Tomlin. If one of the top QB's falls, you might need to think about taking him, if you like his style.

That worked out pretty good in Green Bay when they took Rodgers and still had Favre.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. If Ben were at that point, why would he still be extending plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

thats how he's played his whole life. it's second nature. the time is coming quickly and we better start the process before we are blindsided whether it's a year or three. i hope they are considering some options at least. remember all these guys but warren and JH are young compared to ben now. his close buddies are gone mostly too. makes a difference. age happens trust me. of course i was old like ben once. 22 years ago. i'd love to be his young age. hell harrisons young age. :lolol: :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Im not saying the end isnt near, I think it is, this year or the next season is the end, IMO.

Im saying no way Ben is taking plays off or giving a half ass effort.

Heck, Mac, Im not quite your age but even Id like to turn back the clock to where Ben is now :icon mrgreen:

• Like Like x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i know it's strange talking about him being old. no i don't think he takes plays off but something seems different in his play. i do think old injuries are part of that problem and he'd never say boo about them. :lolol::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think #1 thing that was different in his play was the revolving door at WRs other than AB. When a QB isn't fully confident that his receivers will be where he expects them to be, and doesn't have extensive timing and reps with them in the full offense, it matters a whole lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    and ben takes tue. off every week as has been stated before. that seems like a time when you have to chnange your old ways and put in the extra time needed to get familiar with the changes. ben likes his comfort level. receivers he's comfortable with, play calls he's comfortable with. it's probably too late in his career to change that work habit as he's set into it. he likes his security blankets. AB, bell and he misses the one thats gone in heath. he saw a little resurgence with green from that position but it's changing around him. ben is terrible when he sits out practice or two during the week. if you notice in those weeks he forces more balls to his comfort levels guys whether double or triple covered much more. i do believe he is just tiring of the process and the extra time it really takes to adapt to a changing team around him. it's tough to do when you are sore for days longer than when you are younger every week. i'm not downing ben for it just time taking it's toll. :cool:

22. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Your both young kids. Wait till you turn 72 and you will really be wanting to turn back the clock. lol

23. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    The Steelers will not be drafting a player before 25 for the next few years... So any good QB that drops the next few years. in the 1st, 2nd or even 3rd.. We need to seriously think about drafting 'em.

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As Mac stated he extends them because that's just who he is ,but he doesn't bounce up after a hit the way he did 3 seasons ago ...His age is making it hard on him to take those hits.. He has also been public about not wanting to practice so hard lately....

I don't think he is being a drama queen i really believe he is almost ready to give it up...If not for the money and a chance to win one more big game he would be gone .....IMO he is hoping someone can beat the Pats for him or they have some bad luck, if he knew for a fact that he would have to go into their house and win to get to the big game he would probably just hang it up...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i hope i make it that far fan.:smiley1::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1