1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben is terrible, but our O-line might be worse

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelRaj, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What does Ben do on his Wednesday's off? Is he doing anything that is increasing our chances to win? Studying film?

If execution is an issue on offense shouldn't he be there to get it ironed out?

Got to question his internal fire to win another ring.

2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Labriola addressed this in asked and answered sometime back. Ben is supposedly at the practice watching and interjecting, communicating with the wr's etc.

3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This, and where you turn the ball over counts as well. I believe every TO was on their end or very near midfield. Bengals QB only completed 7 passes all night, they gave up 105 yards to RB's on 32 carries, Findley added 47 on 10. You can say the D did not play well, but 17 of those points were gifted by our O's inability to do it's own job.

4. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020

He should be working on footwork, drop backs minimum. Film is a given like breathing but looked like he was lost Monday

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think it was VERY reasonable to expect the defense not to crap out and give up an 80 yard drive to the Bengals and their 3rd string QB after the offense finally woke up and scored 10 straight points. The momentum had shifted, and our defense allowed a mediocre offense to push right down the field. Make no mistake, the game was lost right then and there. The offense sucked in the first half, but the defense doesn’t get a pass for failing at the critical point in the game.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Even with the 3 turnovers I expect a better run defense, letting Finley run untouched for a TD is unacceptable :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That's an NFL team they faced. The opposition is generally going to make plays. That's based on my years of watching this game. Maybe you don't share the same opinion? People freaking witnessed the loss are still in denial.

The game was lost with the 3 turnovers. The %'s show that over and over again. I am not making the mistake. You are.

Regardless of whatever happens turnovers equalize games. The teams that loses the turnover battle generally loses the game. Why is so hard to understand?

Go through the Steelers recent playoff history. From what I saw they managed to win one playoff game where they loss the turnover battle by one turnover. All of the other playoff games they loss.

One study showed that a two turnover margin bumped the likely hood of a win to 76%. A three turnover margin and it's likely over for the opponent to win at 88%.

4 turnovers is 96% chance to win.

Coaches and players talk about taking care of the football all the time for a reason. Apparently some fans are deaf or are simply ignorant to the facts of what turnovers mean.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You can expect all you want. This is the trickle down effect of turnovers. Those turnovers impacted the team in a negative way. The dynamics and trickle down effect of turnovers were apparent to fans who pay attention.

I am not make this ish up. People can expect whatever they want. The impact of turnovers on teams and winning % can't be denied.

10. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    We were down to 2nd and 3rd string ILB's in that game. It is reasonable to think our run defense would suffer from it.

God bless Marcus Allen, but he had a bad game. He is not an ILB.

I truly believe once Vince and Spillane are back it will improve.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The impact of not being able to stop a piss-poor offense cannot be denied, either.

One other point that doesn't work is this idea that the turnovers kept the defense on the field too much. That was really only true of one of the turnovers, the fumbled snap. The second fumble came on a third-down completion that was well short of the first down. That play had no chance. Even if it wasn't ruled a fumble, the defense would have been right back on the field, anyway. The interception came at the end of the Steelers longest drive of the night in terms of time on the clock, 6:13. Yet again, the turnovers were not the cause of the defense's failures in the fourth quarter.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Allen is terrible. He was terrible as a third-down guy. He is even worse having to play every down. He simply isn't a competent linebacker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I told you but you don't want to hear it. I'd have put in the guy that has played the position. I'd have had the only other LB ready to play. He's been here longer than Williamson so it's not like he doesn't know our system. This is his second to around with us. :cool:

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Gee. I didn’t realize that was a playoff game, and the depleted Bengals with a 3rd string QB and one of the weakest offensive lines in the league were actually a playoff team. The situation was simple: momentum was in the Steelers’ favor. The offense had finally gotten over its stinky funk and closed the lead to 1 possession. The Bengals were starting in normal field position after a kickoff (not another short field). The defense should have come out inspired that the offense was finally doing it’s part, and balling. Instead they were flat footed and got lit up by a lousy offense. All they had to do was prevent another score. Even giving up a couple of first downs would have been OK. You cite an 88% loss rate for teams losing the turnover battle by 3. Well, our team was in a position to be in the 12%. All that it needed to do was win with its strength vs. an opponent’s weakness to undo the damage from the first half and it failed. Yes, the loss is mainly on the offense (largely Ben) for putting the team in that position, but it had recovered and started doing its part in the comeback bid, only to see the strength of the team fold up at the critical point in the game. The game was lost on that defensive series. You’re going to tell me that you weren’t watching the game and thinking “we’ve got this” when we closed it to 17-10? You weren’t thinking that our defense was set up to make a big stop and keep the momentum going? We’re you thinking “gosh, I know we just cut the deficit to 7, but we’re still going to lose because we’ve turned it over 3 times?” I don’t think so.

15. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Claypool, and I'm a Buckeye fan who was praying they'd pick him. I was wrong. Dobbins is a good back, which are a dime dozen in the NFL. Claypool has the chance to be a generational WR.

16. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    With the OL we have...His much of a difference would Dobbins really make

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would take any of the three off they're hands. Ingram, Dobbins or edwards.:cool:

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ingram is about done, he doesn't get many carries now.

19. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    I wonder what was said in the player only meeting if it wasn’t about the losing? Are some of the young guys not putting in the proper work early in the week?

Too many injuries to offensive line. Banner was supposed to be our RT for crying out loud.

Its a real shame we can’t come up with even an average run game.

20. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    My favorite play is when one of our running backs runs into the back of one of our offensive linemen's ass then falls forward for a one yard gain. Do this ten times a game and you get a first down.:facepalm:

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think OP is on to something, lol significant investment will be needed
    in OL.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben said it was about getting ready for the playoffs, because a lot of the young guys have never played in them.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Roethlisberger says many things that aren't true.

24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    So we know for sure that Allen can't be good at LB after a couple starts and a position change? Ok.

25. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe someday, I don’t think Allen is going to become an above average ILB, helping us anytime this year

There isn’t anyone else out there who couldn’t help us out a little better?

I wonder if Ben gave them the “this is my final year, you better leave it all out there” speech

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020