1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben is showing Life, certain veterans need to step up their play

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jamie, Oct 11, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not that bothered by it, as long as he doesn't go Facebook Live live AB in the locker room :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I would say being on social media at all is what bothers some.

3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It certainly bothers Mark Madden

• Like Like x 1
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That, or start a rap music side-career.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Good post. I have read your posts about last years secondary's flaws being hidden behind great front 7 play..and I do agree somewhat. Yet the entire d really seemed to start cooking when Minkah came on board. Also the communication seemed to get better (rook calling plays, Tom Bradly addition). One can only hope that is the case this year and the D will improve as the season goes on. We all love those splash plays, just like we loved when slash or we used other trick plays on O...when they worked it was beautiful, but rarely will they take you to the top. Every team is going to have it's weak spot, every team is going to have it's bad days. The key is winning the games you are supposed to win, recognizing your flaws and working to correct those flaws.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Couldn't agree more. And that's why I haven't been too critical about Minkah so far. His addition was instrumental in giving the front 7 that extra second or two needed to get home. That's still a true statement. His tackling is another story and he's going to get hurt if he doesn't start tackling and stop throwing his body at bigger men.

And I'm a broken record, but if you win the games you're supposed to win and split the rest, you'll be in good shape record-wise at the end of the regular season.

We just need to make sure we're ready to split those other games. And right now, I'm not sure we are. Getting into shootouts and hoping to stop the other team on their last drive to secure a victory isn't a good recipe for success. It lets the refs have too much ability to change the outcome.

7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ebron...There was a lot, be included who was stoked/ very surprised with this signing...I thought this move, maybe, could put us over the top...

There's a reason Ebron was available...He either disappears or...He just flat out drops so many easily catchable balls, that was his MO, and he has been true to it...I went on the Colts boards to see what they had to say about him...And it wasn't pretty at all...He is NIT one of those TE's who can take over a game! Just average

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    He won a few games for the Colts but your right about not showing up for every game.

9. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Sometimes you need a change of scenery. He has shown that he has the ability to be a very productive TE in our system. Unfortunately, he showed yesterday that he can let adversity get in his head. One drop led to a turnover and then he false started and almost dropped another into a turnover. He was mentally frustrated and done at that point.

10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Broken record...mine. I won't go back and look at all the details, but the last time we made the p/o's Boz was called on multiple times and we had like 4 or 5 last minute wins that year (may be wrong, but seems like that). A lot of those wins also included those lucky bounces, calls, penalties and they all seemed to go our way. The next year Boz his the skids, and those bounces, calls and penalties did not go our way..nearly the same amount of close games and we lost most, and missed p/o's.

Point: The parity in the league is real, some teams stink outright and yet still pull a stunner now and then. Mid level teams are not that far away and will still give the best fits. Every game will have those things you cannot control, bad calls, the stupid turnover, and many games in the NFL end up being close..less that a TD. When you have the opportunity to put the game away..you do it, but far to often the Steelers do not do that. Yesterdays game was far closer than it needed to be, and in fact we got a couple of those lucky calls (2 off sides on 3rd down) that extended drives. Yes those penalties are part of the game, but with a 2 pt lead and Philly roaring back, why were we even in that place? Yes we won, but to often we win not by dominance but by that bounce of the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Lions and Colts fans were glad he left their teams, against the Eagles he fumbles and drops another that could've been a int ugh.

12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    A talented player with flaws...A big, athletic TE who can run...But has always been way to inconsistent with drops... That's why he he moves around, and we got him for the money we did...

Just a meh player

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Maybe? My guess is that Ben is riding Claypool while he's hot! When defenses start doubling Claypool, Ju Ju will have big games.

Just a guess.

14. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    JuJu benefited from AB clear as day. He’s a decent number 2 and a very good 3. Is what it is he still has value to the team.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think the key to all of the comments here is coaching.

If Tomlin allows the children to be and do whatever they want, players like Ju Ju may head down the wrong path, veterans (particularly defense) will play with no understanding of how lack of personal discipline will cost us games, and the next AB is inevitable.

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    In reality, it should. There is a fine line between what Ju JU is doing now and what AB was doing in his third/fourth year. A spoiled, unchecked, child is very likely to be lead astray.

17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    He axed AB when he needed to, helped Harrison change his beserker ways, controlled the Ben vs. Haley dilemma, made Martavis a commodity, whipped Bell into allpro shape, etc., etc.

You should come at Tomlin with something that has teeth, just sayin Stone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Nah, it still doesn't bother me. Juju is in his fourth year, and he's done this type of social media stuff from the start (and in college). I don't think it has anything to do with his on-field performance, and I don't see it being the act of a spoiled, unchecked child.
    Kids like to dance these days, ol' timer.;+)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Wow! He axed AB when he needed to? Thats nuts! Every single one of the points you made is wrong! He allowed every one of those things to fester.

You should stop with the excuses.....especially when they are absurd.

20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey groutbrook.

Yes me too. It is a fallacy IMO. What proof? So he made some commercials. Good for him. So did Troy Polamalu and Joe Greene. From what I have seen this season, he is fighting hard for the ball and the extra yards. No complaints from me.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey jamie.

Yes, as Ben stated in so many words, he came back for the team more so than himself. He personally feels that he has accomplished quite a bit and could leave the game satisficed at this point. Now, Ben is a competitor so I do not know all about that. I think though he is more "at peace" in a sense with AB and Bell gone. No more selfishness on this team. It is so evident; especially for the Offense and when they score. If AB did not score the TD he was not in the endzone celebrations unless he already had one TD or more. I think he enjoys the positive attitudes of all the young guys on the Offense and how selfless they all seem to be.

Is Ben's time with us nearing the end? Maybe? I do not know. He is playing very well right now and seems to be enjoying himself and is rejuvenated in a sense. When you have a possible career-ending injury, and you come out okay on the other side, it makes one appreciate the game that much more. I am not saying that Ben ever took the game for granted because I do not think he ever did.

Nonetheless, when something near and dear to you is possibly taken away from you, and you have been given a second chance to proceed, you really appreciate what you have even more. I think Ben had a lot of time to self-reflect during his injury and it gave him a broader perspective on many things in his life including his passion for the game.

So, given all of this, yes everyone needs to follow Ben's lead and up their games to another level(s). They have seen life without Ben and it is not pretty. Everyone should be playing as though they are on a mission. Desperation/Survival in a sense.

It must all be left out on the field every time they play.

In the end, only one team stands in solidarity in the "Winners' Circle". That has to be us.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  22. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015

Hey Steelwinds,

Thanks for the reply and agree about Ben and his focus this year. I started this thread last Sunday and a week later we go into a divisional rival game tomorrow with no DeCastro and no DJ. I am hoping that From Claypool’s game last week he receives the double coverage and focus from the Browns so that Juju can have a breakout game.

In regards to Fitzpatrick, Bush and Haden that I mentioned, through 4 games this season do any of these players have an interception or fumble recovery, I really am not sure?

23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    While I agree that Ju Ju seems to be a very different person than AB, think back to the beginning of AB's fourth year, did any of us see his histrionics coming?

24. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey jamie:

Always want to enter a game at full-strength. Given that, WR is one position we are "stacked" per se. If DJ is in fact out we have others that can step-up IMO: JuJu, Washington, Claypool, Ebron (who is more of a WR than a TE, IMO) McDonald may finally see some more balls. I want that so bad. I love when he "punishes" people when he has the ball. Then there is McCloud who had several nice plays last week and Cain who also is a bit lower on the pecking order but I would think can contribute.

One of the things I posted earlier this week is the issue of not enough balls to go around because there are so many playmakers on the "O". This is a very selfless group which is great. They seem to be about team. Also several guys coming out of the backfield can contribute. As long as Ben and Fichtner keep spreading the ball around, like they have been doing, I feel pretty good.

As far as DeCastro, yes that is a bit of a concern. Next man up as they say.

As far as the Defense, they have been making a number of splash plays but in between still giving up way more plays, and points, that I am comfortable with. Nelson does have two interceptions and Haden one. Bush none. Fitzpatrick has been quiet and some of the critics are asking: "where he is?" I am not too concerned. Bush seems to be holding down his spot fairly well. No forced fumbles or recoveries from the four I mentioned above. It seems the Secondary is a bit off from last season and has some a bit concerned. I admit I am a slight bit skeptical more than concerned. I cannot believe they have falling off from last season's performance "overnight". I think the Defense will put it all together fairly soon.

Take care.

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There is more bothering that idiot than just social media.

• Agree Agree x 1