1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

"Ben hasn't been playing well"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelinOhio, Jan 20, 2017.

1. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I put the title in quotes because it's what I've heard here, on TV, and on the radio.

So, if this is true, what is the problem and what is it that Ben and the coaching staff need to do to fix it?

I've seen Ben make some bad decisions, throw too high, and throw a few too low. I've seen him hold the ball too long when he could have thrown it away.

What else?

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well in the fins game he set his own personal record for completions. He had a great game early on. Then he did make a couple of bad decisions and some high throws. Then in the Chiefs game he played against a great secondary and came out slinging it. He hit AB for a td that Marcus Peters made a great play on. Eli Rogers also dropped one if I'm not mistaken. Yeah he did have some throws that looked off but my thing is more that Ben "called" a bad game more than he "threw" one. The audibles in the red zone were not good BUT the throws he HAD to make, like the ones in the 4th quarter to get the first down and seal it, he did make. So it's not all bad. It's really probably not even mostly bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He will be better, trust me. (Been saying this for over a month) lol

4. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Let's start Landry!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    And we have still been winning. He is due for a big game. here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I actually thought he played well vs KC and converted several 3rd and short situations, which has been his Achilles heal. Where he fkd up was checking to a pass on those 2 drives where we had the ball on the 5. I'm convinced if they run the ball, they come out of there with more than 3 points and it's a blow out!

Hoping they learned from it and it will benefit them this week...

7. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    He's all we got (qb wise)
    I say we ride him
    He's done ok in his career

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This.

The question for fans shouldn't be "Why isn't Ben playing well"

It's "Why isn't Ben lighting up the stat sheet"

• Like Like x 1
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ben has been playing fine, outside of the bad INT's he has been throwing this year. If he cleans that up his game is just fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    after we in the sb we will still all be saying "he is due for a big game" lol

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hope he uses it as motivation. He's being referred to as the worst of the 4 quarterbacks remaining so I hope he goes out there with a chip on his shoulder and lights it up!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    There's 10 Super Bowls and 7 rings between three of the 4 qb's remaining. That's pretty dang staggering when you think about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I saw on the NFL network, I believe, that the four most winningest quarterback's since 2008 are Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, and Ben Rothlisberger. In that order. Not sure about the other three, but Ben has not played for 15 games in that span, had he he would have even more wins, obviously.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think a lot of the "performing bad" perception comes from him changing plays at the LOS, from what we as fans can tell anyway. Early in his career he used to use his physical tools to extend the play and turn near sacks into huge gains (high reward). As his career progressed, he still makes the physical OMG plays but is also trying to use the mental side as any veteran QB will do. Using his pre-snap reads he can change plays into ones he thinks will give them an edge.

I think we tend to remember the audibled plays that do not have success more than the ones that do. We often hear about the silent nod he gives AB (dallas game fake spike for example) but I'm sure there are countless other plays where he has also audibled at the LOS and the plays have been successful. The one thing he may be able to improve is his selection of audibles. Instead of the low percentage, but high reward, 3rd and 2 long pass attempts, he could go into more high percentage short throws (lower reward but drive sustaining).

But Ben loves to make those big plays, that earned him a lot of praise early on in his career and it is something he may continue to chase. No way for us to tell exactly which plays are audibled except by post-game remarks and some of the obvious changes at the LOS. I don't think Ben does a lot of the Peyton Manning pre snap fluff imo. I for one, tend to remember the missed long throws on the 3rd and shorts and could see how the perception sways negatively. Plus when you see a long throw it is exciting and memorable.

Ben had 13 INTs this year in the regular season. His career average is 12.3 or something. So not too much higher than normal.

15. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I seriously think he has played pretty well. Bell has just been unreal. No reason to air it out when we can just take safer yards on the ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He's missing high at times. I don't know the reason nor do I really care. I also don't care what happened in the past. Ben needs to come up big this game. Beating the Patriots in their house cannot be done with mediocre QB play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    He will. I stand by yesterday's prediction of 300 plus yards, no interceptions and 2 or 3 TDs.

• Like Like x 2
  18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope you're right, because if he does that, we'll win. They won't be able to stack the box against Bell if Ben is playing really well and Bell will destroy them as well. We really need to get some play action going this game. No clue why we didn't use it last game.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    :this!:

20. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Listening to Ben talk all week it feels like to him that this is the biggest game of his career so far. He looks really focused and he knows what it would mean to him to go into New England and beat Brady and Belichick. Plus, like many on here have said Ben is long overdue for a big game where he is the difference maker. I think this is the week it happens and Ben adds yet another chapter to his hall of fame career come 10 o clock Sunday night.

21. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think we are going to see a angry and determined Ben Roethlisberger this weekend. You know he wants to get this Patriots monkey off his back. I expect him to be great this weekend.

22. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Brady, Rodgers, and Ryan are all legit contenders for league MVP this year.
    Saying Ben might be below the other three is not really so controversial.
    (Plus, there is a difference between saying Ben is playing bad, versus Ben is playing bad compared to his usual standards.)

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Because of Brady, this is Ben's biggest game of his career and it will forever define him. If he outplays Brady he will be known for it. If he doesn't he's just one more good QB but not good enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You know... I'd be lying if I said that Ben wasn't one of my biggest worries Sunday. It's not so much a concern that he'll play like he's doing a Brock Osweiler impersonation, it's a concern that he won't be patient.

When we beat the Pats in 2011, Ben dinked and dunked up and down the field. It was far and away the most patient I've ever seen him. I think patience would serve us well Sunday. Patience with the run and the short pass to keep the chains moving, and Brady fuming on the sideline. I'm not saying we shouldn't take shots downfield, but we should only take them when the coverage dictates. Don't force it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

6-15 9 yards 1 int in the redzone