1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben coming back and draft focus

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Jan 14, 2018.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    So if we can believe Ben's statement after the game that he is returning, where do we go in the first?

-still take a QB anyway to groom

-take the opportunity to fix the defense down the middle - ILB or S

-best available at any position (see how board falls and decide)

In other words, how do you think the FO would rank the positions if a top QB, S, or LBer is available? I would assume Darnold, Rosen, Allen, and Rudolph are gone.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know man....if those guys are all gone we aren't gonna reach for one. It's hard to find a franchise QB. I say we roll with the one we got without wasting picks on a QB. We need to build this D and we need every pick we have especially whatever we have in the first 3 rounds. We have no 4th because of McDonald trade so we have to make them count....FS,ILB OLB and maybe even more beef on the DL if a run stopper falls. If we fall flat on our faces for a bit gambling to go all in with Ben so be it.....

Ricky Bobby. "If your not first your last". Picking late in the rounds for years doesn't get you studs and we are gonna need some to get to the level we are right now with Ben.....just MO

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Fix the defense

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I still take Rudolph if available.

But with this re assurance, I don' move up now. Stand put. If he's there I take him.

If not, best S or ILB I am thinking. But will see how Senior Bowl and Combine go.

5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    if the window is as small as some believe then pull a move like the falcons did to get julio. if Fitzpatrick or smith fall around 10. go get em. minkah is a once every 20 year player. Raquan has special speed at the lb position. like shazier. pull that off, the defense could be fixed with some more depth at ilb and dl

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    So you want 2 QBs who won't play, Rudolph and Dobbs :shrug:.

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Draft a free safety, ILB, OLB

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Honestly, I think Steelers like Dobbs... no need for a QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I just don't see Landry or Dobbs as future starters.

Do you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    So many holes and we'll have a crappy draft position.... I think it's likely that Shazier won't play again, so you need to go ILB. As much as I'd like to get a QB to let ben groom (like Favre / Rodgers), I don't think they can ignore a glaring problem. LJ Fort & Spence are not the answer.

11. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Spence is too light and too weak. I am tired of seeing our defensive players getting pushed around. The kickoff yesterday was the sign of things to come. They received the kickoff on somewhere around their 30 or 40 and the group pushed the pile 10 or 15 yards which made me think this is going to be a long day if we are going to get manhandled like this.
    I get the feeling that it's like watching children playing with grown men. We need to draft some grown men or get some through free agency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It doesn't matter right now, Ben is signed thru 2019. They need all the help they can get on defense, not some QB to sit on the bench for 2 years.

13. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Honestly, I think we have to focus on the D. Yes, we gave them basically 14 points, but the D gave up 31 to a Blake Bortles. Let that sink in a moment. 31 to Blake Bortles.

We missed Shazier badly. Sadly this is not a great ILB or S class. We may need to fill one hole through free agency. I honestly think next year is it for this group. Ben may retire and Bell won't be back after 2 years on the tag. We have the talent on offense, needing only to add some depth on the Oline. I truly believe Vance is fine at the TE position. He had a great game yesterday. We can get a TE who can really block late if we need to to replace Grimble who I don't love.

I think you go D, then D, then D. We don't have a lot of "holes", but I think the secondary has to figure out its knack for giving up the big play. Some of that is the safeties, some of that is just mental mistakes from guys like Burns.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    no qb this year. sam hubbard at OLB. armani watts at safety. fred warner at ILB. trayvonn henderson SS. chris worley ILB. tyler lancaster DT. jc jackson CB. :cool:

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Definitely no QB. Now Ben is telling guys 3 more years,we need to roll the dice on his word and go heavy D
    ILB and FS being priority.....OLB and DL also in the mix. I want Mitchell gone ,pick up a FS in FA as well and hope Sean Davis has a bounce back year and use him around the LOS more. Maybe he puts on a couple ponds as well,he's still lean as hell...wondering what th plans for Brian Allen are and wondering what the new DC has planned for him,love the potential.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have not seen Ben's replacement on our roster, I am still shooting for his replacement.

And if this person does come in, a good qb coach must also be hired to develop this person to NFL standards.

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Ben only has two years left on his contract so how does he get 3 years out of 2?????

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Perhaps you’ve heard of a little thing known as a contract extension

19. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Thats unlikely to happen.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Don’t know if I would make that claim. The Steelers could use the cap space and Ben says he wants to play at least 3 more years.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree this could very easily help out the cap situation if he did. :cool:

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben's 2018 cap hit is 23.8 million, trust me it will happen. The Steelers need to get under the cap, so signing Ben to a extension and releasing some veterans will help.

23. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    The falcons traded away a boat load of picks 5 picks in all in the 2011 draft to get julio, more than they should have IMO: We cant do that:

The Falcons got their man
    All in all, the Falcons sent the Browns a first-round pick (No. 27), a second-round pick (No. 59) and a fourth-round pick (No. 124) in 2011, and also chipped in the No. 1 pick in 2012 (No. 22) and their No. 4 pick in 2012 (No. 118).

24. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I wasnt meaning do the exact same thing. I just meant a big move

25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Not true there was a lot of talk by many talk show hosts that said Ben's retirement talk could also be a was to get a pay raise. I can see the Steelers adding a year while turning some of the base salary into signing bonus to help our cap hit.