1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben being treated unfairly by media

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, May 7, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Every talking head is standing on their soapbox: "Waaaa, waaaa, waaaaa, Ben threatened to retire, now that they drafted a QB he says he may play for 3-5 years....waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. He can't do that."

1.) The retirement comments were after a frustrating loss to end the season, so what?

2.) He said that stuff because he was sick of Haley, and wanted him gone. THAT is the source of those comments.

3.) After his season was over THIS year, he said NOTHING of possible retirement, because he knew Haley was toast. (By the way Ben is right about Todd, he sucks. They only moved the ball when Ben wasn't handcuffed by Haley's sh-t play calling, plus, TH is an unlikeable a hole, as the whole league can testify.)

4.) Picking on him for saying "Maybe I don't have it anymore" is BS. He said that tongue and cheek and was being defensive because he just threw 5 picks. They totally are taking that out of context.

I haven't heard one talking head treat this honestly yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :cry:Cry me a river.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Of course they're not going to treat it honestly. Then there's no drama or story.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I know, but you'd like to see a hint of intellectual honesty once in a while. So WHAT if Ben hinted at retiring a year ago? He was saddled with a jerk who sucked and everyone hates.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Ben needs to shut his mouth and quit being a drama queen. He is getting the medicine he deserves after being a whiny baby, bad teammate and a dick. Apparently he has forgotten what Tommy Maddox did for him when he was drafted in a situation that was even more clearly the drafting of a replacement/successor. The franchise doesn’t end when Ben gets injured or retires. The team doesn’t need his approval on every move it makes, whether letting Haley go, trading MB or drafting a receiver in the 2nd round. The owners and coaches have been really good about getting Ben what he wants. He could end up talking himself right out of an extension if he keeps grousing about this.

Rudolph was my favorite QB in the draft and I like the pick. He is a competitor, wants to win and can sling the rock. If Ben does go down, it will be nice to have a legitimate QB at the controls. I don’t care if Jones or Dobbs goes, but we have significantly upgraded the QB pool either way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

"Hot topic" reads are sadly the status quo anymore. As much as I loathe it, that is the current paradigm of all media; sports no less.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Are you his mother? :facepalm::shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    And why would that happen now?

9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Bens an established smart ass... He yammers on at times when he probably should not and usually has some tongue in cheek rhetort. Nothing to see here, he is who he is. A winning QB that talks a little poo here and there. I'm sure the team knows it and I'm sure Rudolph will come to know it and all will be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    If only the media hadn't forced Ben to open his mouth and start whining to them. Very unfair of the media to do that to poor Ben.

11. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I'll disagree (somewhat) with the "bad teammate" part.

Rudolph was drafted, but has yet to take a snap with the team.

Ben has backed up his players, but only after they have spent time on the team.
    He supports his RBs and WRs (which is why he was complaining about losing Bryant).
    He supported his OL, before they got good, even when he was getting beaten up on a weekly basis because of poor blocking.

12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    In so many ways Ben is an extremely savvy media manipulator. He knows exactly what he's saying, he knows the msg he wants to get across. And he usually gets his message across in ways that give him plausible deniability if they don't work out as he planned.

He always managed to get his dissatisfaction with play calling communicated without being too direct.

You want Haley gone? Tell people how much your hurting, how much your family means to you and you'll only play year to year DEPENDING on the situation. Haley gets kicked out. His buddy Fichner replaces him, Ben's raring to go for 3-5 yrs.

He didn't see Landry as a threat, or Dobbs as a threat, but Rudolph, who the team says is a first round talent, apparently is to him.

His comments now reflect the fact they he didnt think the team did enough in the draft to help HIM win it all now. And they are the comments of an aging competitor, who's pissed that his team sees him as such.

Will this motivate him? Doubtful, I suspect Ben is always motivated. But this year, Haley was gone, he had all his parts, the new OCs in his pocket, everything was as he liked it. Till they drafted his replacement.

It will be interesting to see what happens next yr. Jax is up 24-3 with 8 mins left in Q4, and Ben is told to sit so Mason can get some snaps. He won't rant, he won't rave, but his body language will be telling.

13. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    The same media does not have any success opening Belichick mouth. Why is it so easy to open Ben's mouth? Did they put a gun to his head? All he had to do was be tactful. No he said what he wanted to say on show he wanted to be on to run his mouth. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't like how he said what he said but the amount of hot takes and airtime it's being given is ridiculous. Not surprised though.

I just hope Ben has reached out to Mason by now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  16. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    And oh how we will miss him.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    egotiistical baby.

18. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    . So your saying Ben's not a legitimate QB? I'm fine with us drafting MR.. but no way in hell I'm gona say he will be better than Ben!. After all he played for OSU and was lucky to get his team to the Outback bwl or whatever crap bowl he made it to

19. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Lol people just rattle on abt Ben like they new him personally. He is this, he is that, blaa blaa blaa. When in fact mostly all the time they only know what they Been told.. ..Either way non of this affects me personally so I'm not Gina worry abt it..lol

20. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Maybe I'm alone in this. But Ben deserves the right to say whatever he wants at this point in his career. He's brought home 2 Superbowls and set numerous records as a Steeler. If he's pissed off about anything at this point, then so be it. He's the reason the steelers have been in contention for the past decade or so. The team and the fanbase needs to give him the benefit of the doubt not run him out of town.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He can say what he wants but when what he says becomes a team distraction that's not professional in my opinion. MR isnt here to compete with Ben for his starting job, he will only be competing with LJ and JD, in pre season. Was mason supposed to decline being picked by the steelers because it would make Ben mad, by all appearances mason is a clean cut good character kid who wants to feel welcomed by the team and would like to be Bens friend instead of getting the cold shoulder treatment from him, I lost respect for Ben over this childish out burst from him....

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Pistol Patty

Pistol Patty Member

Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  23. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    How do we know this is a team distraction? For all we know Ben and Rudolph are sitting somewhere laughing about all this. I know there are a lot of football smart people on here but knowing what is distracting the team and what isn't is some Mensa sh*& in my opinion.

24. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    It might not have any effect on the team at all but if it does have an effect it is hard to see how it would be a positive one. Not the end of the world but still totally douchie comments by Ben. It'd be nice if our franchise QB of 15 years weren't acting like a petulant brat.

25. fansince40s

fansince40s Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Being shunned by the leader of the team and a great QB like Ben must really be hard to take by a rookie QB who is new to the team. He should have been welcomed by Ben and talked to him about how he could help and make him a better QB and teammate. Like some here I lost a lot of respect for Ben over this but hope his attitude changes about his new teammate.