1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben being blamed for Steelers Draft Strategy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DukeDukeDaDaDa, May 4, 2020.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I forgot you were out there. Care to point to where you were during that altercation?

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

There were 5 or 6 players right around MR and MG. None of them recall any racist words. MG didn't even bring it up for quite some time after. Purely made up on his behalf or it would have surface immediately following the scuffle.

You are really making yourself look foolish just by bringing that up. As much as MG looks foolish by claiming it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It was investigated and found to not be credible.

It’s a pretty crappy thing to say about someone when there is nothing to support the accusation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    There was like 2-3 people in earshot. Decastro being the closest and he never really came out and defended Rudolph. I think he said like one thing in an interview about it and that's it. I always found that fishy. Does that have to do with Ben? Who knows.

Look as much as I don't like Rudolph. I don't want it to be true and I'm not going to argue against him. I would love for the audio to come out and make MG look like an idiot. Because I think he'd get a lot of backlash/suspended longer for lying about such serious claims.

All I ever said was it's a possibility. I never said he was or wasn't. I wasn't there and the audio magically disappeared so I can't say one way or another. It was probably the biggest story in the sports world last year. So if we are talking about negatives with Rudolph and I ignore the unknown of that situation is hugely bias. The audio could leak tomorrow and his career is done and everybody passionately defending him are going to look stupid.

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    ....or we could look stupid right now but I guess myself and many others are basing their opinions more on the fact Garrett never said boo about it on the field and you can be sure if he did hear it everyone on the field would of known about it right then and there. Funny he only brought it up when facing his suspension? That’s enough for me to form a educated opinion that he didn’t say it as opposed your conspiracy theory. I like my evidence much more. Usually I can find some humor in the things you post. Plenty of them are logical as well. This time your way off base....sorry.

6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Now that's some funny **** right there....even for you.

7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This may be exactly what I meant by semantics. You are correct when you say throwing off the back foot is correctable. but it has apparently been too big of a task for MR, thus further suggesting that his mental ability may be at the root of "all" of his problems.

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    There are countless things which would support MR's position, and then there is you, trying to stir a pot which does not need stirred.
    1. Pouncy was nearby and if MR had said what MG alleges, I think he would have been kicking MR instead of MG.
    2. Given that the NFL is a race mongering league, had there been a "shred" of evidence behind what MG said, there would have been a field day about it.
    3. If MR was the type of guy who would let that fly in a game, he would be a pariah in the locker room and on the field.
    4. If MG was the ***** that he seems to be, he would have been one of the league leaders in late hits, out of bounds hits, and fines........oh yeah......he was!

• Like Like x 1
  9. BigBensPosse

BigBensPosse Active Member

Dec 28, 2015
    But hey sucks. He isn’t magically gonna transform. Duck Hodges made him look weak.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    BS use of the word possibility when talking about racists. It’s possible you are a racist. See how that works.

Again, it was investigated and determined not to have happened.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    While MR's mechanics might scream wrong to you that doesn't necessarily mean that it's viewed as a problem by him or his various coaching throughout his career. Given that his stats in college were what they were he has seen nothing but success given his mechanics. It works and worked well so why change it. There was a QB a few years ago. Can't for the life of me remember who but the annouce team had a former QB on it and all game long he kept harping on how this QB had an unorthodox throwing motion and sidearm his throws all game long. The problem was that it worked for him and he had success even if it screamed bad mechanics. Heck we seen Mahomes wrist flick it 30 yards while jumping in the air that should never work but it did.

I really find it interesting that in an article some one linked to the other day it revealed that last season the QB coaching was done by a guy who was a former WR and just had a generic title of assistant coach. How does some one not skilled in the position train a 2nd year QB as well as an updrafted rookie? I have to think conversations will take place now we're Canada spots these mechanics issues and moves to correct them or at the very least minimize the affect on the QB's play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    MR's mechanics didn't rear their ugly head in college because he played 100% of the time from the shotgun and most of the time he threw go routes that JW ran under to catch.

Now when he reached the NFL.....we saw what his mechanics lead to. Under thrown balls, extremely inaccurate passes on crossing routes, and passes who's hang time rival a Ray Guy punt.

Maybe Canada can fix him, and I hope he does, but he has been doing what is doing for a looooooooooooooooong time.

And what does it say about the Steelers if they use a 2nd on JW and a 3rd on MR and do NOTHING, for two years, to help MR succeed Ben?

13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    This contradics your previous statements that if he has learned to not throw off his backfoot he never will and that it points to a mental deficiency on his part.

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    There’s nothing wrong with his mechanics. He was playing well even though he was thrust into a situation he wasn’t properly prepared for yet in his early career. Like I said I believe it was 8 TDs to 2 INTs early on. Not bad for receiving 3rd string snaps and no QB coach. He also showed in the PS that he had made strides from year 1. He even had some plays where he made plays moving around in the pocket. In fact the play he got KOd from Thomas was a play where he was moving around in the pocket. Everything that has happened to him after such a devastating injury has to have some consideration that he wasn’t the same for a while. The throwing off his back foot and his inaccuracies and his reluctance to move in the pocket can be attributed to that same hit. He did many of the same positive things in college and no it wasn’t just JW running under the football. That’s a lazy assumption.

There have been plenty of successful QBS with funky deliveries and I wouldn’t even say MR has one. He has a prototypical arm motion.
    He went through a hell of a season and has to put that behind him and come back more determined and more importantly confident that last year doesn’t define him. Whether MR has a successful career or not very likely will come down to more of his mental processing than any flaws in his mechanics. Having a real QB coach should be a great benefit to him.

15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The racist accusations made by Garrett are disgusting. Nobody except Garrett heard it and even Garrett issued a formal apology for the incident to Mason in the aftermath of the game.

Garrett only played the race card at the league hearing a week later when he knew he was in deep s**t with the league. He then apologised once again for the accusation becoming public. He was caught out telling a bare faced lie that he though he could keep quiet.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    There has to be a pocket to step up in and slide in and that also affects stepping into throws properly. He was blitzed 119 times last year according to pff. That offense was in shambles when the interceptions started mounting. Not just because of the qb, or the OC. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey DukeDukeDaDaDa.

And again, this is why I detest , in part, the era of the "Media Blitz" that we live in. Every little mouse crumb of information, factual or not, is out there. I do not want to hear about it is the off-season or a slow time for sports. It would be out there for the viewing anyway. The only one worth their salt on that show is Kay. And that is because she is eye-candy. Yeah, I said it. Let the truth be told.

What a gig. The majority of us here on The Board could do anyone of their jobs. I adore Kay. Nate is okay. Kyle is a little punkish to me. I cannot believe he played ball. And then there is the ultimate Bozo; Peter, I think is his name, and is completely useless. I say donate his salary to a better cause and go with three on the show. He has poor posture and sits there like a slouch. Did he ever play any sports or is he just a Fantasy Football, Team Manager, Clip-Board carrying, jockstrap sniffing juxtapose that serves no purpose but to take up space and oxygen. I would rather look at a Stop Sign all show long. Completely worthless. The whole show is pretty much lame. Hey, that is just my honest opinion folks.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Watch for trey lance North Dakota state qb in 2021 draft. :hehehe::cool:

19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This thread, like most, has gone way off track! But this thread has contained multiple off-topic topics.:drinks:

20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I am not sure what you are saying here? I believe that if he hasn't learned to step into throws by now, he probably never will. However, if Canada can turn him into a quality back-up, I would happy as hell. But...................if Canada comes in and turns MR around, what does that say about the Steelers coaches who sat back and watched him struggle for two years?

21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Its hard to judge NDSU players because its like a big fish in a small pond. They are a powerhouse team in the state since they went to Division 1 while the talent of other teams in their conference was always lower than them. They also are selective in nonconference matchups so it doesn't effect their standing. When they went Div1 and UND didn't it halted a rivalry that spanned a century. When UND finally made the switch as well NDSU has been reluctant to renew the tradition because despite their dominance they could still lose to their instate rival. A win means little to UND besides bragging rights and keeping the Nickel, a loss by NDSU hurts their championship aspirations.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    well they couldn't do much of that last year during the season. The year before they worked on dobbs since he was the backup. MR never got that because he was 3rd string year one and starter year two. I think you are blowing the not stepping into throws out of proportion. I don't see that. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah those talking heads are talking him up already, saying he could be the third QB in the 2021 draft along with Lawrence, and Fields.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I've heard him going ahead of fields. :cool:

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I get that Dobbs got more reps but I don't get how people think that MR was just standing around at practice for all of 2018 and up through the beginning of the regular season in 2019 and nobody ever saw him throw? He would have been actively throwing and practicing every day.....just not with the second team.

And as far as his stepping into throws, he had bad mechanics in college which was heavily discussed, and he threw lazy balls in the vicinity of receivers going across the middle all last year.

I hope the guy gets it figured out and becomes the all-time leading passer for the Steelers, odds are he will soon be 3rd string, here or somewhere else.