1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Answers How Long He Has Left With The Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerEmpire, May 4, 2016.

1. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That wasn't much of an answer.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. SteelerEmpire

Aug 30, 2015
    Lol. I know right. But "hauntingly" similar to the response Hines Ward, Troy P., ...and others gave at one time...

4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    3-4 yrs left in my opinion. One more championship

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I say he has 2 good years barring a major injury . It is really time to start thinking about the QB of the future .

6. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Tanking 1 or 2 seasons after Ben retires is the Steelers' best bet to get another franchise QB.

Other than that it's just the diamonds in the rough in the late rounds which are so hard to get.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    We don't need to tank. We just need to scout well.

You don't have to find your future QB in the first round. Raiders didn't. And we whiffed on Russell Wilson and took Mike Adams instead. :facepalm:

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well, that's simple enough. I feel much more confident. :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    We didnt whiff on wilson, Ben had just finished his 8th season with 3 super bowl starts, and at best wilson at 5-11 was a projected backup only prospect, if we was looking for Bens replacement that early, it wouldnt have been wilson, had we drafted him he never would have replaced ben that early in his career and wilson would have been long gone before now because he wouldnt have seen a future here....

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Let me rephrase..

My point was that you don't have to take a QB in upper echelon's of the first round. I was giving second round "examples" of QB's that can be found. Of course we didn't need a starting QB then. But the point was that they can be found later. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Well the fact finders would disagree with you Dean;

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...n-draft-origins-for-starting-nfl-quarterbacks

12. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    The Steelers will invariably tank after Ben leaves. Steelers will be picking in the top 10 within a year or two of his departure.

The only way that doesn't happen is if the defense miraculously makes another string of years in the top 5.

I don't place any value on finding another QB right now.

All in with Ben. Find another QB in the post-Ben era.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
  14. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I hope your wrong. Maybe we will have the defense up to snuff by then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Agreed. Offense fell to pieces with Landry and Vick under center, and Landry is a very competant backup QB. Big Ben is clearly jugular of the O right now, even with all those pro bowlers on the field. I fear the Big Benless Steelers franchise.

In Colbert I trust. He doesn't sleep. Always scouting. Odds are if you're watching a high school game right now Colberts on the bleachers eating a hot dog. If our future QB is out there between college or HS, Colberts probably already got a list.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    David Carr was a 2nd round pick. There are exceptions to the rule.

It just makes more sense to surround Ben with as much talent as possible for a Superbowl push right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    True...I'd love to maximize our entire team as much as possible while we have a franchise QB playing well. And Colbert attacked our weakest area in the draft. So we'll all keep our fingers crossed.

18. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Those are called 'outliers.' Brees, Brady, Wilson are rarities. Your strategy can't be to catch lightning in a bottle. To find a needle in a haystack. Of course, your strategy shouldn't be to 'tank' either (unless your franchise is just an absolute mess -- ours isn't). The overwhelming majority of elite qbs are first-round picks.

That's like suggesting playing the lottery is a proven guide for becoming rich and then citing examples of people who have won the lottery.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I got news for you; it's all playing the lottery. The science of getting a legit QB really hasn't gotten better in the last 10-15 years. It's all "finding a needle in a haystack" no matter what round you draft. No way in the world do I want this team to bottom out totally just so we can have a top 10 draft spot to find a QB.

I'd much rather keep this team strong in all the positions around that QB and then make the proper selection (find a needle in a haystack) in the late 1st round or 2nd round and beyond and go from there.

One thing that I don't hear any of the NFL talking heads converse about is the fact that there are only a handful of guys in this league who even know how to really groom a QB. So, I don't care how talented a prospect is; if the teacher is crap, then that guy is just about doomed. It's a two part equation of getting the right guy and having a legit QB coach/teacher.

But I do not ever want to "bottom out".

20. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I agree with most of what you said but it's not "all playing the lottery." The lottery is 100% chance. 100%. With the NFL draft, you can generally project whether a college player will find success in the pros. It doesn't always work out, of course, but there aren't an equal amount of seventh-rounders on NFL rosters (or Pro Bowls or the HOF) as there are first-rounders.

I don't know if there are any qb coaches that are heads and shoulders above the rest of the qb coaches in the league. I'm completely ignorant about that. I think that what leads to a qbs success would probably be prioritized like: 1) Skill set 2) System 3) Team (surrounding cast) 4) I don't know. Maybe this is where qb coach appears? I think you might be putting too high a priority on the importance of a great qb coach leading to a successful career at qb. I could be wrong. I don't know.

I'm with you. I don't ever want to "bottom out" either.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    When you can't protect youself, it's time to get out. Just too many hits for #7
    over the years. I see two good years in his future, barring no more injuries.Steeler
    scouts should be beating the bushes for the next one now.There out there you have to find them. He maybe just entering college.

22. SteelerEmpire

Aug 30, 2015
    Yes. Ben will be a 35 yr old QB getting under center after this 2016 season. If this franchise takes the route of "playing it safe", they'll begin a coordinated effort to find a serious candidate to step in. If their smart, they'll get him soon so he can have the opportunity to train under Ben for a yr or two. This will definitely be a spotlight issue for the next several years. Keep a close watch on the next "one or two" QB's the team gets. The current guys we have just don't have "it"

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    4-5 years, I predict he will win two more Super Bowls by then :applaud:

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Both of the Franchise multiple Super Bowl winning QB's for the Steelers were found in the upper echelon of the 1st round.

Then you have Mark Malone, selected with the last pick in the 1st round in 1980.

We have dealt with plenty of Ham and Eggers over the years.

When Ben leaves this team will struggle. So I can see a top 10 pick in the future. Unless you all were happy with the Ham And Egger theory...

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    landry should be ready by then. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3