1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben and the long ball

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by rocketdog, Jan 21, 2017.

1. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Is it just me or does anyone else think that Ben's long passes are under thrown alot? In seems to me numerous times our receivers have beaten their man but have to slow down to catch the pass or it gives the defender time to recover and break up the pass. It seems like he throws some of his long passes too high. Ben is supposed to have a great long ball. I think he still has the arm for it. I don't get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Ben has never had a great long ball arm. Never. But your gonna have some foolish homers on here calling us fools in a few minutes. Every long ball he throws is under thrown. How bout last week when he had a defensive lineman covering brown and he underthrew. That should have been 6 all day long........

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm pretty sure that Ben is averaging the most long yardage plays from scrimmage in the league this year if I'm not mistaken. That's with only having one truly legitimate deep threat. (with apologies to PWP) Not to mention Ben helped make Mike Wallace rich and Martavis had some off the chart stats too because of the long ball. Obviously Aaron Rodgers has the best one but I think Ben is just fine in that department honestly.

4. Sarjent

Sarjent Member

Dec 9, 2011
    YAC was the reason these guys made headlines. At least in my opinion.

But I do agree, his is decent and good enough threat to keep a defense honest.

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well the play in the KC game to AB against a backer I think might have had the timing thrown off because he had to dodge an ankle tackle before he threw it. Also Ben has had several deep outs to guys in his career. His best deep ball ever might be the one to Wallace against Green Bay when he launched a frozen rope to the back pylon. He has also had multiple 80 yard bombs. Yes he does over or under throw from time to time but ultimately I'm not gonna lose any sleep over his deep balls. I would be much more prone to lose sleep over him trying to make a play instead of just taking what's there if anything. Although even that has greatly improved over the years.

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
  8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
  9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
  10. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    My only problem is when Ben sometimes took or takes a deep shot on 3rd and 2-5 yards. There were times when there was a WR with a higher % pass option open for a 1st down on 3rd and short.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think his deep ball is fine when he commits to the throw....but many times his footwork is disrupted either due to pressure or something coming open late where he doesn't really take the time or have the time to get his footwork right....that being said I think a couple of deep shots up top early will get the cheats thinking and loosening up the coverage underneath and not allowing their safeties to play downhill in run support....DHB or maybe even Coates has been laying in the weeds a little bit I hope. They seemed to have problems with speed over the top....

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    A lot of teams in the league take shots on that kind of down and distance though. I honestly think Ben's mind is made up completely pre snap on plays like that but I do agree that from a fan's perspective it's annoying. I get the logic behind it though in the sense that defenses can be a little off balance in that scenario with thinking that we might try and pick it up on the ground and then get burned by AB running right by them.

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    That philosophy of going deep will be disastrous especially when we need to really control TOP....matter of fact that could be our downfall. Gotta just move the chains when the down and distance dictates it....but like I said you still need to threaten them deep but that will be on early downs and hopefully play action after we establish our run...

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It's good Ben vs bad Ben. When he's hot his deep ball is fantastic. When he's not, he can't even hit a quick slant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben had 76 plays this year of at least 20 yards and 17 of at least 40 yards. That's not bad. He even missed some time and we also have the best running back in the league that is putting up mega numbers on the ground. Drew Brees lit it up with long yardage plays this year and he's gonna have the same view as the rest of us for the game Sunday and beyond...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :D I was at that game. I literally just looked at my Mom and said, all I want to see now is a Mike Wallace bomb, when they hit that next play.

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I watched Ben hit Mike Wallace for a long ball against the Titans from the 2nd row on the 48 and it was epic.

18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That's by design. They said as much last season iirc. The point is that the defense is trying to stop the short stuff on 3rd and short, making them more vulnerable to shots over the top. 3rd and short is probably the easiest down and distance to get someone open down the field.

I'm not saying to throw deep on every 3rd and short, but I understand why the do when they do it.

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Now why the hell did you have to do that:smiley1:. I miss that fool...we would literally be unstoppable right now. I know his interview with SI has been discussed and after reading it I was a bit down about the way seemed to come across ,but using your link I found a actual video too of the interview and it's a totally different perspective. Not sure how to post it on my IPad but I recommend it,even though it's short you do get a sense that he has changed. He's working out for real.. and he is a friggn' beast......cmon Martavis please get it right and get back to us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What??? This can't be. but Im sure some fool will come along and counter this.

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe so but I will still continue to believe my lyin' eyes. LOL!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  23. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I think you are underestimating how hard it is to throw a ball 50-60 yards and hit somebody in stride. Ben has one of the best deep balls in the NFL.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Rather than knocking BB, I prefer to view it as a problem of too much breakaway speed with our receivers. :thumbs up:

25. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    come on fellas.... Go look at all the ones he underthrows. He does not have the touch of a brady or rodgers. Not even close. He under threw bryant 3 X last year in the denver playoff game. How many times did he miss heyward bey and coates this year.