1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell's potential contact

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Feb 21, 2017.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Not reg season but a season, and that includes post season

Cajun

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    There is two seasons regular and post season....

3. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Come on Diamond ... You know what Da Stellars was talking about.... There is One season and it ends when you're eliminated on or before the SB or upon winning it..... Yes it is compromised of two sub-season called regular and post.....

You're better than this

Cajun

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The season is still the season. You are just arguing over semantics... You know what I mean.

... anyways. Lev may be young, but he has had a lot of injuries so far. And Tomlin seems to be fine with running him into the ground. He may only have 2-3 more years left.

5. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Is Bell worth 12 mil a year? I honestly don't know. But if the Steelers won't want to pay that, someone else certainly will.
    The issue I have is that I have a hard time guaranteeing any of that money. He's one marijuana suspension away from missing an entire season.
    I'm not here to debate the legality of marijuana or the league's policy on it, only that this is what it is. You play by their rules. If he's caught again, it's a year. I say he needs to prove that he can stay clean, as well as healthy. That 12 million the tag will probably be worth is more than fair given these question marks.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Its not a year, he's not at that point yet. Still misses games but not a season. Not sure how many.

7. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Bell was suspended for 4 games , he appealed and it was reduced to 3, those negotiations included bell remaining in the same stage of the program meaning his next suspension will be 4 games, then 10 games then a full season.

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
  8. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    See, in a way I have a problem with that. Why even negotiate to keep yourself in the same stage you're currently in. In my opinion if a player is serious and wants to prove they've kicked their habit, there's no need to even ask to be kept in the same tier, because it will never happen again. Look, I have nothing against Bell, he is a tremendous talent. It just seems that the vast majority of these players who've been suspended for marijuana infractions can't seem to keep clean. Probably the biggest notable exception was Holmes who didn't have any additional drug offenses after that.

9. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    image.jpg

I'd be ok with a deal like this for Bell.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TwentyFourSeven

TwentyFourSeven Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The report I read on Rotoworld is that there's a good chance the Steelers set the market for running backs and sign Bell to a contract higher or equal to Peterson. How does a team have the highest paid RB and WR in the league and still pay other guys for years to come?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    It will be interesting to see for sure... I'm not overly optimistic that the standard setting don't come back to bite them in the rear. Ultimately, I guess if the Steelers are the bar raisers this year then atleast it's in star talent and not high jacking positional pay on reaches such as the Raiders do yearly.

12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I'd love to get this deal done with Bell.... but I'd be floored if he signed a deal like this. he's gonna get a lot more.

I thought 17.5 ish for AB and came pretty close (18.5mil for 3 years, 17mil average).
    Bell is probably looking at close to 15mil/yr.
    We will see I guess... I bet he signs long term before the season

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Just me, but I see Bell getting the franchise tag again next year.

14. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I wonder if it would be cheaper to franchise him three years in a row instead of paying him an expensive contract for three years.....(just askin'. I don't know)

15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Teams do it, how does dallas give a 97 mill contract to an Olineman and pay their receiver dez 70 mill along with paying their TE 12 mill a year and have romo making 14 mill a year along with paying their linbacker lee 10 mill a year and pay their D tackles 10 mill a year and their center is set to make 14 mill a year, thats why they are 11 million over the cap but jerry jones says dont worry about it to the fans, he thinks he can get enough restructuring done to be under the cap for the draft.......