1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell's potential contact

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Feb 21, 2017.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    We really need to resign Bell but if we sign him to a deal anywhere near Peterson's Viking deal we will have made a serious mistake.

I really like Bell but not at a level that high.

Cajun

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope it's not that high either ..His injury history as well as his smoke dogging should drive that price down a bit..I would say in the 10 Mil per year would be about right ....The Team may just want to tag him this season and see if he has healed correctly..I think the tag is the way to go with him...

3. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Fran tag = 12.2 mil
    Tran tag = 10 mil

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Probably go with the Fran tag at 12.2 a bit higher than the 10 Mil I think is fair , but might be the best case to not tie up a lot of cash in him this season..

5. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015

PLEASE Minnesota Vikings... cut Adrian Peterson before his 6 million dollar roster bonus is due on March 1st.

The Steelers must tag Bell before 4PM on March 1st.... and Adrian Peterson's contract has a HUGE affect on that 12.2 million tag number.

In theory, if AP is cut.... Bell's tag drops significantly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I just read that the tag value is set based on the previous season's top 5 salaries. AP's effect can't be avoided.

7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Didn't Bell just turn 25? A 4 year deal could be well worth whatever it is.

8. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Dammit

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I definitely say tag him this year. If he can stay healthy and away from the weed I would sign him next year if I were the Steelers. Running backs maybe a dime a dozen, but Bell is special. Without him I don't see us making it to a SB. Williams is a great backup, but he ain't Bell.

I'd sign him next year for around $40 million for 4 years with incentives. This way he'll be 30 when the contract is over. That's usually when running backs seem to really decline.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't think you would touch him next year at 10 mil a year. or this year for that matter. :cool:

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bells WR skills is what makes him so much more valuable then a typical RB. You're not signing him for 10 million a year, Id be shocked if that happens. I dont think you get him for less than 12.

12. Steelers '08

Nov 1, 2016
    He's not just your above average back. Although he has had off the field problems. If he is healthy all year we might of had the number 1 or 2 seed. He takes games completely over himself. I think he at least should get $8 million a year for 4 years. Give him $15 million guaranteed. I think he's worth it. Look at what he did the last couple games. He ran us into the playoffs!

13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Of course he's worth 8mil a year. Ultimately he's worth a lot more than that. I agree with Blast tho... if we don't offer him 12mil a year, someone else gladly will.

There are guys you can live with losing, even if they are good players. Bell isn't a good player. He's elite. Like no one else like him in the game elite. He can take the game over running it, he can line up at WR and impact the game (best at his position in this regard IMO), and he can stick in the pocket and pass block and he's really good at that too. You don't just let guys like that walk over a measly 2 million. You cut someone that makes 2 million a year and then sign Bell. Don't over think this. Sign him. It shouldn't be this hard

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    May be a dumb question, but… If the Steelers use the franchise tag on Bell, does that limit their ability to incorporate contract terms that limit their payout if he doesn't stay clean?

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Should be interesting, I too don't want the Steelers to be handcuffed with a huge
    contract that they would be on the hook for if Bell goes south. Lets say a little above Shady McCoy
    contract.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    thats what i mean, he's worth more and will demand more than 10 mil a year. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Never finished a season healthy... just throwing that out there...

18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not sure if you guys are right or wrong but NFL network had a vido clip saying the same thing. If the vikings drop Peterson it will lower the amount of Bell's franchise tag.

19. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    There's a reason the transition tag is rarely used, it's too risky. You either risk losing the player with no compensation, or you might have to give him a ridiculously high contract in order to keep him. The franchise tag is well worth an extra couple million.

20. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Bell is solid in pass protection. Bell is solid is pass receptions.
    Bell is solid rushing the ball.
    Bell is also slow, has no top end speed. Maybe it's due to his injuries. Bell is a top tier NFL RB
    But not Adrian Petersen level.

If we Franchise tag him that will put him at a salary we can't afford. Whatever his tag figure is is where agents want to have their clients avg per year in longer term contracts.

Tuitt needs to be extended. A.V. Needs a long term contract and LT aren't cheap. Shazier has a 5th year option needing to be picked up and a long term deal worked out.

Cajun

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If you keep tossing a few extra million around, they can start to add up.

Or so I've heard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steelers '08

Nov 1, 2016
    Completely agreed. He's our offense to me. I know Ben can sling it, but our offense has been upgraded significantly with Bell in the backfield. Now Brown is a stud to, but Bell opens it up a lot for the receivers. Just look at the AFC Championship game. Bell was injured and Brown was basically a none factor. I believe we will get it right with him. Maybe not this season, but the next.

23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Some players are worth the extra pain in the pocket. Others are not. Only give out the couple extra million to the guys that are worth it... in this case, Bell is

24. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Bell has been Fran tagged.... So this year it's probably about 12.2 mil ..... Don't know yet, to be determined shortly.

Here is what happens now.....

12.2 mil(est.) is now the Starting point for Any future long term deal speaking on a yearly avg basis.

When healthy his value is unquestioned. I'm not so sure his success would translate to another team that doesn't have an OL And Blocking scheme similar to ours. With that and his injury history and suspension history a Trans Tag may have been better, but with not much depth behind him maybe the risk of that was too high .....

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He finished the regular season healthy, he didnt get the groin injury until the 3rd playoff game, just throwing this out there...