1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bells a Jet

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Seriously, listen to yourself. You're praising a running back for not wanting the ball.

2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He passed on a long-term offer and sat out the entire season to get a worse offer. Yes, there was a wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Sitting out did nothing. He got a worse deal then the Steelers were giving him. He wasted a prime year of his career. He thought he would get 45 million guaranteed like Gurley did. He didnt. He wasted a year and now he will be playing for the Jets whom are run like the NY Knicks. Like ****.

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Well the math equation looked complex but I didn't actually see any math problem completed ;)

Regarding the bold,

Sitting out could help his value if he got injured playing last year on the Franchise tag.

It is really kind of humorous this concept is continually being eluded by so many it seems.

The overall presumption is that Bell would have been easy peasy injury free last year playing on a Franchise tag << With two major injuries already with almost guaranteed 25+ touches a game his risk of injury was actually quite high << This what I'm astounded people are missing.

I am one of the #1 people critical of Bell but my issue was mostly HOW he went about doing it. If he was straight up in communicating his plan, I would have been disappointed he wasn't in a Steeler uniform but blatantly pissed at him like was this past year lol

So we at least agree on the last part lmao

5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I am for one ecstatic the the Steelers offered more than the highest bidder. It puts to silence all of the "pay the man" Bell supporters who were calling the Steelers cheap for not paying him some ridiculous amount of money like 17 mil a year.

With that said, he was in a very unique position to potentially to land an epic deal never heard of my a running back. How can anyone really blame him for that?

One thing is for CERTAIN, if Bell played last year and had ANY INJURY, it would have raised all types of questions lowering his value. So he decided to go off his last year's statistics which were excellent.

I can see how people are upset with Bell, but I find it amazing so many people do not see the rationale behind what he did or don't see how it could have been potentially a record breaking deal.

At the end of the day, he's the second most highest paid RB in the league behind Gurley. Not exactly a huge loss. His kids will not go hungry. The plan didn't work as expected, but he's not at that big of a loss here.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He thought he was due for an epic contract, but there never really was reason to believe he would get it. Any team would have been stupid to even match what Gurley got. Gurley was younger. Gurley had been better than Bell in 2017. Gurley didn't have two strikes against him in the league substance abuse policy.

Then Gurley broke down, making it even more apparent that Bell's demands were ridiculous.

Bell's season-long holdout did his value no favors. Neither did his posts on social media. Here is a guy who openly complained about getting the ball too much. I sure as hell don't want to hear my running back saying something like that.

Gurley's knee issues also hurt Bell's value. Teams saw the danger in offering a running back that kind of deal. Bell also has a history of knee issues to go along with the suspensions for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

If anything, the Jets overpaid an bailed Bell out. The decision could have been even more disastrous for him and it really wasn't that hard to see it coming. The only unforeseen event was Gurley's physical breakdown, but even that shouldn't be a shock with two major knee injuries in his history.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

Regarding the bold, of course there was reason to believe he was going to make bank. How much media coverage did Le'veon Bell get for this whole ordeal? Just about every sportscaster is chastising the Steelers to "pay the man" when he's demanding 17 mil a year.

The hype and the buyers market was definitely showing to be there.

As for everything else stated, you're not mentioning anything I don't already know and have even stated on this board in the past.

Also comparing Gurley who got an extension to Bell who was hitting free agency also differs as free agency has the capability of multiple bidders to drive up the price. History has players getting OVERPAID in free agency. Bell was counting on that.

It didn't pay off as expected. It'd be very interesting what the Steelers offered Bell. I personally think he didn't believe he could show his face in the Burgh again which is why he was 'torn' over his decision.

Like I said the Steelers get the last laugh, but I understand the rationale behind what he did. He's still the leagues 2nd highest paid RB behind Gurley.

It's not like this guy is working minimum wage at McDs flipping burgers for min wage.

8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He wanted to ball. He wasn't willing to ball under the franchise tag again for obvious reasons. In case you didn't realize there is a business aspect to the sport for players.

9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You know what? That was his choice, risk, and right to do so.

Everyone in life makes questionable and bad decisions some times. Some times those decisions are understood and sometimes they are not.

I understand why Bell made the decision. Do you?

10. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Lol, Ladarius Green? You do know that his injury wasn't career ending, right? You know that even though he never played for another team after the Steelers, he has never officially retired, right? Who's the one grasping at straws?

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...to-play-in-2017-free-agent-tight-end-steelers

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/7397/ladarius-green

Exactly how I knew that you'd respond.

Is it better to die while under a $14m/yr contract or a $0/yr contract? It may sound extreme to you, but it's exactly my larger point. You never walk away from guaranteed money when that money is very close to what you're worth. I think that it bears repeating what I said earlier......if the tag was $3M, I would understand not risking injury when I can get $26M in FA. Or extrapolating it out.....missing out on $14M when I can get $100M in FA. Bell didn't just overestimate his value, he was delusional about it, and he made a financially disastrously stupid decision that he will one day regret, if he already hasn't.

Watch the Sharpe/Merriman video. They nail it.

11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    What NFL team is Ladarius playing on currently? What team did he play on last now two years ago? Why was he released by that team?

That's what I thought. Get back to me when you have the answers.

You're death argument is weak as already pointed out.

And thank you for revealing why you are so misled. >> You've been listening to Sharpe and Merriman.

At this point, I'm just repeating things already said to you that you haven't disproved.

The conclusion is the same it has been reinforced by your weak arguments.

At the end of the day, Bell is getting 25 mill guaranteed over the first two years with the capabilities of making 15 mil a year with incentives in a 4 year deal.

That would have never happened if he had a career-ending injury and possibly any injury last year, and the risk of that happening is considerably less having sat out the year by the numbers.

The more you post, the more it reinforces my position.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  12. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Lol whatever makes you feel better. My view is held by the majority of people who understand the situation. You're in the vast minority.

Ladarius Green still isn't retired and Le'veon Bell still made a terribly bad gamble and lost $14M as a result. Facts. Both of them. You can ignore reality and try to spin it all you want (like keeping Shazier is a PR stunt :rolleyes:) , but facts don't care about your spin or make it valid.

I would however like to suggest that you take a course in basic finance 101. It would do you a lot of good.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    FootballAnalyst could also use the 101 course.

14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    BobbyBiz still can't figure out simple concept that the 25 mill plus is lost given Bell plays last year and gets injured.

So I'm done attempting to educate you on basic math principles. You win the award for me having to repeat the same concept 5 different ways without comprehending it. 25 million > 14.5 and he still is making over 50 million in 4 years. << when you're math genius buddies crack the code of 1st grade arithmetic get back to me I have property I want to sell them.

If you think the Steelers would have continued to pay Bell 14+ mill a year for a career ending injury, you're living in la la land. This is evidenced by the multitude of NFL players that DID NOT have a career ending injury. You must be thinking the Steelers are lining up to give Shazier a multimillion dollar extension.

How much money did Joe Theisman receive after Lawrence Taylor snapped his leg in half? << yep I'm sure there is more of a risk on a water ski than a 250lb player funning full speed at you with intentions of hitting you very hard. How much money did KiJana Carter receive post injury? I'm sure he had much more risk of injury or death mowing his lawn.

Freaking hilarious!

And Jeh, I'm surprised you are buying the BS, but oh well you're wrong also then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    It's not BS. Most people here aside from a select few 'special' people understand it. It actually requires thinking and logic beyond what is required of 1st grade math and maybe that's why YOU'RE not getting it. You can't think beyond that level and stop there dismissing anything that requires a more advanced analysis.

Last time......Sure there's risk that he would have had a career ending injury if he played, but honestly that risk is relatively low. So low, that by most thinking peoples opinions it's not worth giving up $14M to assure that it doesn't happen. Especially (and this is key) since $14M is relatively close to what his actual worth on the FA market is. For at least the 3rd time in this thread.....Bells position would have been understandable if the tag was ridiculously low, like $3M. At some point it IS worth sitting out as insurance against injury. There are actually people who do just this for a living......figure out risk and assign a value to it. They are called actuaries.

I hope this helps.

16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He didnt want long term. He wanted that upfront gurnateed money because football in terms of his future isnt very far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Gurley also had a much worse injury history than bell.

18. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Who really cares. The B and B error is over. Let’s move on.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Notice e hasn't had much to say since the #'s came out on Bell's contract.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    LMAO you're the one that believes that there is more of a risk jet sking than playing running back in the NFL. It's all documented on here.

I'm not the one that needs help lol. I wish I came across more people like you when I'm selling things.

I get your point, and it's wrong. I've demonstrated it in multiple ways you still can't understand, which is why continuing this conversation is pointless.

The idea that you can't grasp the how the risk-benefit scenario for him sitting out last year potentially benefits him irregardless if you believe it was the right idea or not is very telling of your lack of thought process.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You seem very confused.

22. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Nah, never said that jet skiing was more dangerous than playing running back.
    I did, along with someone else---can't remember who----point out that for a guy that is so worried about getting an injury that would cost him money in FA, he sure was engaging in dangerous activities that could do exactly what he's trying to protect against. I took it a step further and brought up the possibility of suffering a 'career ending' injury while just living normal life, and how even that should be a factor in turning down so much guaranteed money. It's a valid point. You, not surprisingly, laughed it off. And that's ok because it's beyond your level of comprehension. Its what I expected.

• Like Like x 1
  23. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    This whole exchange boils down this statement. It's your trump card. Of course you can't disprove that Bell wouldn't have gotten a career ending injury, because he never played, so you keep going back to it as a crutch. No matter how much logic everyone here throws at your, you can keep pointing to it and claiming some kind of victory.

How about this.....Bell averages, what around 310 touches per year? How about we revisit this thread whenever Bell hits that 310 mark with the Jets and when he doesn't have a career ending injury, you can admit that everyone else (except Football Analyst) was right and that Bell lost $14M last year that he'll never recoup, and that it was an idiotic move do to so?

• Like Like x 1
  24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    How?

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Actually you did.

now you're making me dig up old posts of yours with things you claimed to have never said. Slipping and cutting the grass tearing an achilles lmao is more dangerous than playing NFL running. THIS is the supreme argument you've come up with for the reason why Bell should have just played anyways. This and DEATH.

You can't make this stuff up, and I didn't lol, but you did write it.

I have not "laughed it off". I have been repeatedly showing how it's not a valid point. I do find this whole discussion pretty humorous though.

How many injuries did Bell receive doing whatever he did this year?

How many injuries has Bell received playing football? and Even more specific, how many MUSCULOSKELETAL injuries has he received which could be career ending playing football?

There is not even a comparison. (BTW I have about 20 questions you have not answered yet. )

Because no matter how you try to say the same thing over and over without getting anywhere, Bell was at a much much higher risk of injury if he'd of played for the Steelers last year than sitting out.

But according to you he should have played because hey at any time the guy could have been slipped and tore his Achilles. You continue to ignore injury in your calculation so yeah you're still wrong because you presume noninjury and how that would have affected his market value this year.

The more you post, the more I validate the point which Bell has come out publicly stating. I should ask him to throw me a few bones out of that 25 mil for PR work lol