1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell will report week 7

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MattyMo9, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Actually Bell's numbers from last year's first four games are skewed too as he had one big game in game 4. To me, the first four games from last year and this year are the exact same with both backs. Conner had his big game in the first game and Bell had it in gamed 4. As to the rest of your post, yes Bell got better each year and we do know more about him. Given what we have seen so far, and the fact that there is no guarantee of getting 100 percent effort from Bell, I want to see what Conner can become. Will Conner do the same as Bell and get better? Who knows, let's see how the season plays out. I would much rather see what Conner can become as opposed to Bell who is only playing for a contract from some other team.

2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Good read, and a lot of it is what I've been thinking as I have been seeing more of players like Switzer, Ridley, and even McDonald in the backfield on passing downs. I interpret those, however as the Steelers trying to utilize other players skillsets also and not only rely on Conner not really an indictment to Conner.

He points out that Conner only had 8 carries against the Chiefs. Well we were down throughout the game with a QB that threw 6 touchdowns. It's hard to run the ball when you're down multiple touchdowns.

Also to Conner's defense he hasn't been getting good holes to run through like he got in the Browns game.

I'm not one of those claiming that Conner is as good as Bell. I don't see Conner as good at running the delay/draw play as good as Bell which seems to be his bread and butter. Another point is that oddly our passing game has not really opened up the run. I'm as surprised as anyone that with the number of threats we have on offense that there has been struggles scoring points in the second half.

It's really a mess just about everywhere for the Steelers this year. They're having a bad year on multiple fronts.

3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Also, Conner had a full camp and preseason this year, Bell had neither last year.

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Forgive? No. root for? Of course. But I don't have to like him.

Sound familiar? ;)

6. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Is bell even open to a trade....he proclaims he still wants to be a steeler but does everything that says the exact opposite. He certainly put himself in a sh#$ty situation...going to another team may lead to a big fat new contract, but he should be worried that he’ll be expected to learn a whole new offense and scrutiny of his performance will be magnified..at the end of the day, i think it’s risky...

His best bet is to suck it up, report to the team and play lights out in hopes to show the world and the Steelers why they should have paid him, even at the risk of injury...ironically, playing and making other teams remember why he’s the best is his best defense for why he deserves a top contract.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Sure, although they are vastly difference circumstances. But you're right, you don't have to forgive him

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  9. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The season could be over for us by then, what a selfish jerk. Do we have to take him back or can we have him fail a medical. I know its business and its a short career ( shorter if your an ahole ).

I looked up what he has made so far $16,038,194 anyone here beat that in the previous 5 yrs.

We are not even close to being competitive defensively so why waste another 8 mil.

Even if Bell comes back and gets in shape 3 or 4 games later whats left by then 5 or 6 games.

We would need to run the table with this defense to even have a sniff at a wildcard spot.

Worst case scenario is they get competitive late in the season and just miss the playoffs.
    The results of that are no coaching staff changes and another set of mid round draft picks.

I have really not given up on them but the defense needs to show drastic improvement in the next 2 or 3 games or it will be all over before Bell returns to collect his millions after he has screwed the team, the Rooney's and the fans.

10. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    CHITcan him