1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell will report week 7

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MattyMo9, Oct 1, 2018.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    So a players ability is judged by team and not by individual ability is what your stating?

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What's the operating budget for game at Heinz Field complete with clean up afterwards and the cost of operating the facilities for the week?

3. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    No I'm stating that Mac is comparing Bells performance against Conner''s during a specific amount of time and using performance against a common opponent. The term greatness was introduced by you in an attempt to push down the guy who is playing versus the one that's not. Then to further prop up your strawman argument you bring Elliot into the discussion to validate your claims.

4. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I just want to win, honestly. Whether it's through a bit trade or on the back of Bell. I just need this team to get some damn wins.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Because his point was the oline as if a great rb cant succeed with sub par oline play. If conner is not capable of that stop comparing him to leveon. Numbers numbers. Numbers wise emmitt is the goat but everyone with any football knowledge knows Barry, walter, Jim brown etc... were better than him. Use numbers and the eye test. Not just numbers to say hey look. Teams arent even stacking the box vs him and he still cant produce. He is an average starter at best I'll take 32 year old peterson over him.

6. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    There is no need to stack the box the Oline had no push, 5 guys were being outplayed by 4 leaving 3 LB''s to roam why would you need to bring safety help into the box? Bell is extremely talented there is no question about it but no way he is shaking and weaving behind the line and evading Mosley and Suggs in that game. Not without a pulling guard a TE pulling and perhaps a FB. Now I'll concede Bell might have had something extra on those over the middle dumps but the Ravens were giving that to Ben and Weddle was ready too. It was a bad game plan to allow any rb to succeed Bell Conner Ridley or Joe blow off the street.

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Who new did the ravens add that they didnt have week 4 last yr when bell had 144?

8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    As I understand it, the transition tag allows Bell to freely negotiate with other teams. Pittsburgh has first right of refusal, and they wouldn’t get any draft pick compensation if they declined to match and Bell left.

While the T-tag salary might be comparatively low (definitely <$10MM), Bell almost certainly would get a better offer from another team.

9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    34 carries for 144, with a 4.2 ypc average a 19-0 halftime lead, defense pitching a shutout with no real weapons for Flacco besides Collins rushing for 82 yards.A dedication to running the ball and grinding it out for TOP. I'd have to go back and look but I'm betting not a lot of empty sets or single back no extra blockers in that game. Cimcumstances just right for a big day from Bell.

I wanna say both Flacco and Suggs were playing hurt that day too. I'll have to refresh my memory

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Flacco had a bad back, which is why he wasn’t doing squat but 2nd game he tore us up.

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Game was tied at halftime. If conner is that guy the offense would have poundrd him away. Like any other team with an elite rb does.

12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    The score was tied by the passing game and mistakes made in the secondary. They didn't establish a run game in the first half and didn't even try in the second. Now if you want to believe that Bell could have run the ball in that game that is your right. BUT two different games with two different sets of circumstances.

13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Exactly. Plenty of teams play catchup with he passing game and the. setup the run game. You can essentially say the game started at halftime. We got the ball and the score was tied. Why couldnt conner get anything going then? Your whole argument was because we played form behind but what happen in the 2nd half?

14. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Personally, I think bell's leak to report after week 7..... was a ploy.... to drum up interest from potential trade partners.

To this point, the steelers had been actively seeking trade offers, but unless LB was willing to sign the offer sheet..... no serious trade talks could even start. It's bell's way to send the message that he wants out, and he'll report on time for the trade deadline.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I disagree because he simply could have stated he wanted out. He didnt have to say he was ready to play for pitt. Plenty of players publicly have asked for trades when they really wanted one.

16. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Uh, you're missing the point, Conner only had 9 opportunities to rush, while Ben threw the ball 47 times. 9 rushing attempts is not enough to get anything going.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Now go back and re-read his post and try again.

I certainly don't trust the report, mostly because even if Bell really did say he is going to report Week 7, I don't trust him to keep his word. He already broke it when he failed to show up the day before the opener.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    No my whole argument was the olive got owned by the front 4 of the Ravens and the game plan was crap. They never tried to establish the run. They used a 3wr 1te single back package. Never once dI'd I say they were playing catch up.

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    DeCastro and Gilbert came back a week too early. Maybe there would have been different results in the 2nd half vs. Ravens with Finney and Feiler.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Different results as in even more pressure on Roethlisberger. Feiler did not play well against Tampa. I don't think he is a very good option at tackle.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This is all planned methodically. Everything up to including wanting to retire a Steeler. The Steelers have first dibs again at offering him another long-term contract higher than what they previously have. If/when he doesn't get it, he can hit the free agent market.

The Steelers will be used as a benchmark of what Bell will not accept increasing the bar in free agency of what teams believe they can get him to sign for. The perception that he still wants to retire a Steeler will win back fans that he's lost making his return more palatable.

The bye weeks gives him an extra week to get him into football playing shape so he can hit the ground running giving him the best chance of putting up the big numbers he wants to hit.

Stating now that he plans on coming back after the bye saves face for teams looking at his lack of communication as a potential problem.

Everything is falling into place for Bell. The only question mark is how he performs this year. He needs to have a huge year. A struggling offense is exactly what he needs so people can see the contrast of him being in the game versus not being in the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That may all be at least partially true, but the primary reason for coming back on the bye week is to get paid without having to play. Bell seems to be under the impression that what he has done up to the start of this season will be enough and teams don't need to see much from him in 2018 to give him a big contract. I don't think that is true, but Bell's judgement has never been particularly good.

23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I don't think it's a primary reason, but it is a reason. He's already coughed up around 3.5 million by sitting out. I don't think one more game would be make or breaking it for him.

I initially thought Bell would hold out until after the trade deadline for the primary reason of potentially losing the rights to go where'd he'd want to play

But it's clear no one wants to give up a 2nd round pick and player to get rental rights to Bell for a year so he's safe coming earlier.

If he comes in and lights it up, he'll be able to show a clear compare and contrast in the offense with and without him. It's only 3 weeks prior to his deadline to sign the tag so he was able to preserve himself a bit while having more time to prepare for playing. IMO.

24. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    This is not going to end well imo...Bell is trying to save face...He knows his teamates are pissed, they are struggling mightliy, and most importantly, came into the season predicted by some to actually be Super Bowl favorites...

They look lost, in disarray...And now Bell is saying" I hope they still want me long term"...lmao

Dude, They are done with you...Done! They are exploring trade offers...They WILL use the 2 week exemption if you think you're going to report the bye week and get paid 855 large, and not play that week...

WORST case scenario is you're gone, and the Steelers receive a 3rd round comp pick...Anybody who thinks anything other than this is delusional..."IT'S OVER JOHNNY..." IT'S OVER" !

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Nah I think it's so he can have a week of practice to be ready for the following week.