1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell unlikely to report by Tuesday

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Nov 10, 2018.

1. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Bell and his agent = Dumb and Dumber and I don't know which is which.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The money he made from last year is more than I'll ever spend in my lifetime. I guess he can be mad at losing out on 14 million dollars, but he could wipe his ass with dollar bills the rest of his life and still be well off.

I guess that is why I don't get the hold out... after you make your first few million, it is all gravy at that point, just play ball...unless he doesn't love the sport.

3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Doing my research now to replace him on my Fantasy team!

4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    But him getting that 14 million may cost him to get more money as well because if he got hurt no way he would fresh off an injury get a high dollar long contract from anyone.

5. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Contact your FLPA Representative (Fantasy League Players Association)

6. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Hard to believe an educated man walked away from millions and could potentially walk away from millions more. He'll definitely make his millions in FA, still, that's money he'll never get back and he didn't even have to do much to get it. Who's his agent?

Also, if he doesn't contract this year that opens up some legal doors for the org that they could play hardball back. I think they may even be able to use a transition tag on him allowing them 1st rights to refuse, which could bring some hefty gains comp wise. How odd...

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Staying away from the game for a year can also have a negative impact on his contract negotiations.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. WinTheNorth

Oct 16, 2011
    "Gains comp wise".... not sure what you meant by this DS.... who's "comp"? At this point the only advantage I see for the club to use a transition tag on him is to keep him away from certain teams. Comp wise I think it's a wash for him... he would get market value either way I would think. Disadvantages for us: we get a disgruntled player who might play the same games next year as this year and if we don't match we get zero compensation in return. Hell... if I read things correctly, he may just retire next year because noone will pay him what he thinks he's worth (which means we get zero comp anyway).

I think our best option is no more tagging... make him an offer and let him test the market. If he leaves for something better we get a comp pick. If he signs with us then he signs and no more nonsense.

9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    People are to hung up on the comp pick imo, which would be a 3rd ( at best ) ...Just let him walk...

Where we " The Steelers " will make out is...They will have the most salary cap room they have ever had...We could easily get a Dion Lewis/ Hyde/ Crowell type for peanuts...Which would be a nice upgrade over our current backup RB's...And still have money left to probably sign TWO significant FA's...Plus obviously a full draft class

• Like Like x 1
  10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I agree he kinda was in a lose lose situation .

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think he shows...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. WinTheNorth

Oct 16, 2011
    My suggestion was, let him walk next season (but still make a non-tagged offer just in case he decides he can be happy playing here)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Bell's gone. IMO. He's been having fun with this whole thing.

He's all about the big contract. He's decided that sitting out this year will get him that big multimillion contract next year in FA. The Steelers won't do the exculsive franchise tag again at 25 mil.

They can apply the transition, but the price gets bumped up to whomever wants to pay him whatever. The Steelers won't pay it.

There is no reason why Bell would come back this year. I don't think sitting out a year will hurt his chances of getting paid big as he can point to the previous season to show his success running.

I'd be surprised if Bell shows up tomorrow. Don't see it happening

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    There really isn't a similar situation like this that I can remember. I guess we are going to find out if sitting out really has a negative impact on his contract negotiations.

Sitting away for a year might be beneficial to Bell from an overall long term health and career stand point.

Suffering an injury would have a much much bigger impact on negotiations.

15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I guess you missed the statements where players said they would welcome him back??

Did I suggest Bell needed to be the starter? That being said, teams often have to insert different players as a result of injury throughout the season. In all likely hood Bell would be the back up to Conner. IMO Bell would also need to adjust to the way the Oline blocks.

The Steelers would take Bell back. Even if he was a back up RB or insurance policy if Conner suffers an injury. One goal of an organization is to put the best team together that they possibly can within reason. Bell coming back would make the Steelers a better and deeper team at RB. Bell is better than the back ups the Steelers have at RB position. The Steelers have the money to keep Bell for the stretch run. It would be a good business decision to accept Bell back on the team.

I think you are letting your hate for the way the situation played out cloud your judgement in this instance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Hes pretty typical of most fans on here. Leading with emotion rather than God given sense. Even so that he insists the Steelers would have paid out the 30 to Bell that he would miss out on the first year of his contract offered plus the difference of the franchise tag if he would have played and suffered a career ending injury under the tag. Well if that's the case why not just give him the 45 guaranteed and cut it out with the hardball/lowball shenanigans?? Most of these guaranteed contracts are predicated upon suffering a injury anyway.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah and you believe that don't you.

Like I said, they'll take him back, doesn't mean they want him back.

My feelings on Bell have nothing to do with how I think the team feels about him, I posted several things in my last reply that backs up my assertion.

18. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    He shows up, takes weeks to get into football shape, we clinch before week 17 and sit all of our starters. Bell starts against the Bengals and ....

19. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Well he's got to show up first like it or not then the drama unfolds either way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
  21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm fine with what he's doing. It's how he decided to do it which is annoying. Oh well he had his fun and got constant publicity for doing so.

Maybe it's all been a marketing scheme all along.

One thing I can guarantee is that whoever gives him all this guaranteed money is going to be losing big down the road. He's going to cash out and split.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011